Would you contact another beautician if they were undercutting you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellideb

Nails & Beauty
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A new beautician has just started offering her services from a hair salon near to me. She is very good at what she does but for some reason has decided to come in cheaper than the prices we are charging. Shellac £17, Pedicure £12 for example. I find it so frustrating and demoralizing and I'm tempted to contact the salon on fb and just have my say. They are a popular salon and her work is very good so I really don't understand the need to undercut. Our own prices are already competitive and it can be a real struggle as there are so many other beauticians in the area. I feel exasperated and just want to have a rant I think. It's a bad idea isn't it?

Yes. Rant away here, but not to her ;). I feel for you though x

Yeah i wouldn't contact her, what would you say to her if you were to contact her?x

If you do contact her try to go about it in a way which will encourage her to value her work more rather than that your annoyed you she's undercutting you. You'll sound like a desperate person if you show annoyance, maybe you should talk figures instead and show her how much more she could be making (if you have that sort of relationship with the person if not I'd just leave it)

No please don't contact its nothing to do with you, she may put her prices up once she has been there a while and to be honest I wouldn't worry just concentrate on what you are doing. How do you know she's good also??

Just had an idea if you're really bothered and want to go for a cheeky approach that she cant think you're being rude/jealous etc....

Why not book yourself in for a pedicure and introduce yourself when you are there saying it was such a good price and on your day off a bit of pampering is what you really needed....

Then when she finishes say wow you are so good I will recommend you when I get booked up and can't fit in customers then subtly drop in that she has done such an amazing job she really should be charging more- don't sell yourself short etc and just hope she takes note!!!! ( she will hopefully then think you are such a nice person and send people your way if she's busy and does get full)

There is no way in hell I would ever contact another esthetician about their prices or their business..because it's none of mine.

I personally wouldn't steep to contact this person, because i would be happy doing my own thang. let her do hers. maybe she's just building up a client base and perhaps shes doing it to make her rent..who knows. :rolleyes:

We had a salon open up near us trying to compete= we just let them crack on. nice to keep a eye on what they do but focus on your own business! ;) xoxo

Yeah i wouldn't contact her, what would you say to her if you were to contact her?x
I would say #+;:";) and @_®`%¥<>>\, probably!

If you do contact her try to go about it in a way which will encourage her to value her work more rather than that your annoyed you she's undercutting you. You'll sound like a desperate person if you show annoyance, maybe you should talk figures instead and show her how much more she could be making (if you have that sort of relationship with the person if not I'd just leave it)
No, I don't know her at all really.

Just had an idea if you're really bothered and want to go for a cheeky approach that she cant think you're being rude/jealous etc....

Why not book yourself in for a pedicure and introduce yourself when you are there saying it was such a good price and on your day off a bit of pampering is what you really needed....

Then when she finishes say wow you are so good I will recommend you when I get booked up and can't fit in customers then subtly drop in that she has done such an amazing job she really should be charging more- don't sell yourself short etc and just hope she takes note!!!! ( she will hopefully then think you are such a nice person and send people your way if she's busy and does get full)

Great idea, but I don't think I'd have the balls! I'm really quite a shy and quiet person.

Yes it's a bad idea. I don't think there's any subtle or good way to take this up with her/the salon., especially when you're doing it out of fear and frustration for yourself, rather than out of genuine concern for her.

Unless she's gone into this venture totally blind, she'll be well aware of what other local beauticians are charging and well aware that she's undercutting you. Whether that makes good business sense will remain to be seen.

Just gotta roll with it and keep doing what you're doing.

No please don't contact its nothing to do with you, she may put her prices up once she has been there a while and to be honest I wouldn't worry just concentrate on what you are doing. How do you know she's good also??
She may well do. I've seen her work on th and it looks really good and I've also seen her reviews.

Yes it's a bad idea. I don't think there's any subtle or good way to take this up with her/the salon., especially when you're doing it out of fear and frustration for yourself, rather than our of genuine concern for her.

Unless she's gone into this venture totally blind, she'll be well aware of what other local beauticians are charging and well aware that she's undercutting you. Whether that makes good business sense will remain to be seen.

Just gotta roll with it and keep doing what you're doing.
Very good advice, thank you. It definitely comes from the former, and not the latter.

If I contacted everyone who undercuts our prices I wouldn't have time to do anything else all day :) There will always be someone cheaper.

I cannot understand why you would even think about contacting her ... it has absolutely nothing to do with you.
I have been on this site quite a long time and this post is not really in keeping with my usual style... but I am quite taken aback.
Who are you ... who are any of us, to consider posting on another business's facebook page in order to question their prices.
I am happy to see you already know it is a bad idea.
I hope she is not a geek on this site.
Be brilliant within your own salon.
Stay aware, but detached, from what is happening around you.

I wouldn't contact her, there is always someone who will do it cheaper.

From another view ~ I often have people near me charging less for nails and lashes etc but I would honestly rather have the clients I have and charge my prices than to be a 'busy fool'. This lady will have to work twice as hard for the same money xx

No no no. Work hard at your own business. Keep your own powder dry. It's fine to have an awareness of what's going on around you, but you shouldn't let it affect what you do and absolutely don't contact her.

There are therapists near me doing shellac nails for £8. I charge quite a lot more. They come and go.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back