XLN Telecom

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Male Storme

Reaction score
A bit of a long read, but here goes.

If anyone is thinking of going with XLN Telecom for phone line, broadband etc.

THINK AGAIN.

We have a phone line, which also had broadband.

The broadband was shockingly slow, it was quicker using a virgin dongle, so we decided to cancel it, and just have the phone line, we did not really need it at the salon anyway.

So contacted them, and that was not a problem. Untill they turned it off.

Late on Tuesday afternoon, a BT openzone engineer arrived to install a new line, with the same number that we already had. Explained to him that we already had that number and we had not ordered an additional line.

Then comes Wednesday. And I suddenly realise the phone has not rung, really odd. Pick it up and the dial tone is there, so dial my mobile and it rings.

Then I call the landline from my mobile. And oh god, the call appears to be ringing, but not at the salon. Plug an alternative phone in. Still the same.

So we can dial out, but anyone calling us is just getting it ringing out.

We then call XLN to report the fault, and also tell them that we cancelled broadband, and about the engineer, and ask has some kind of mistake happened your end when turning off the broadband, and was told no, we will look into the fault.

Thursday comes, still no line, and BT openzone turn up, nothing wrong internally, and they go back to exchange. BT then call us to advise not a problem with exchange, it must be an XLN system fault, and they would inform them and close the docket.

We then call XLN yet again, (Called them quite a few times by now) and explain what BT are saying to the latest person, as you can never get to speak to the same person.

Told, no it has to be a fault at exchange, cannot be a problem here, will contact BT again.

Meanwhile we are having no calls, because the call divert to our mobile is not working either, the fault will not allow it.

Friday comes, 2 BT openzone engineers come, check all line into buildng, no problem. Go back to exchange, and about 15 minutes later a call. Oh great I thought. It was an engineer from Talk Talk, who are XLN's partner for lines and calls.

Get virtually no info from him, apart from just testing the line, will call you back. (I am still waiting)

BT engineer then calls, and again advises problem with phone providers system, and tells me he has spoken to a Talk Talk engineer, named Brent Rushton who is aware of the problem.

We call XLN yet again. And they still insist, although BT have put it on the system and closed the docket again that it is not their problem!!

Promised yet another call back that never happens.

Last night I managed to find the email address of 2 directors and the CEO, so I emailed them late last night, and mentioned in the email I had also managed to get hold of the CEO's home number, so perhaps a call to him at home may get something done.

Surprise surprise at 9.02 I get a call from XLN, they suddenly know what the fault is, and yes it is what we originally asked, linked to the turn off of broadband, and a portal problem at Talk Talk.

They are trying their hardest to get our line back on today.

Well quite frankly, their hardest is not good enough.

The business this as lost us is incredible, as like most of you, we rely on people calling us.

We also had 5000 leaflets printed and had a contract to have them delivered last week, they started them Monday, and finished them Thursday. So any calls from those leaflets are now lost.

So to anyone thinking of going with them, weigh up what you save on line rental, with the problems you could well get if something goes wrong.

Wish before we did, I had checked the online reviews, and also OfCom's website league table, shows them in the top 10 for customer complaints.

I am sick to death of these Companys getting away with such poor customer service and it sounds like you've had a nightmare of a time. They are great at selling the service to you but unfortunately are rubbish at dealing with any problems, by the time you realise this you are signed into a contract so you're stuck with them.

I had months of problems with Talk Talk before my contract ended and nearly signed with XLN after that but I'm so glad I didn't. Can you claim compensation for lost business?

Well done on emailing the CEO, may copy this idea next time I have a problem :evil: !

Compensation is detailed in the contract, as being a months line rental, once line has been off for 3 full working days.

Also found out that the 2 year contracts they use are auto renewing!

So if you do not cancel 42 days before the 2 year point, it automatically renews for another 2 years!!

Its unbelievable isn't it. When I left Talk Talk I followed procedure, cancelled in writing and even gave them more notice than they asked for but they still tried to charge me a hefty termination fee. For 6 months I phoned them, sent letters, got letters back from their debt collection agency and eventually got the fee cancelled with compensation but never got an apology.

I am now with UK Wholesale Direct and can only say good things about them, would definately recommend them to you when your contract is up with XLN.

Latest posts

Back