Yellow Strip in Acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meckleberry

Reaction score
I have not been on in a long time but knew this was the first place I should ask. Has anyone experienced a yellow strip from cuticle to nail tip in acrylic? I have had a client come in today, returning for her first fill, she has a bright yellow strip from cuticle to tip just in the middle of the nail. It was removed by filing except for one nail. I use Creative acrylic and have since I got our of school in 2002. I have never seen this. I have had a problem recently w/the new UV top coat turning more of a brown and can be removed and reapplied but not bright yellow and only as a strip. Oh, and not on every nail.:irked:, four nails had no signs of discoloration. Does anyone have a clue what I have done? Just got off the phone and the client left a msg at the salon stating it has showed up again, it's been 6 hours since her appt. Haven't got a clue!

Was it a new set or an infil/ If the latter make sure you remove ALL the lifting (if any) as any left may cause this. As far as i'm aware when applying prima make sure you dont let it come into contact with the old product too.
I'm sure i read this somewhere about making sure that you allow the scrubfresh to dry b 4 applying new product.

make sure you remove all topcoat & buff the surface, old clear polish can cause this strip

It was a new set this was the first fill. Little to no lifting. I use Creative (Moxie) liquid. The yellow looked as if I took a yellow hightlighting pen and drew a strip down the middle. I filed off up to 1/3 of the product thinking it wouldn't come back.

Is she using a sunbed at all, plus is she putting anything on her own nails once she has left you?

If it is only happening to her and none of your other clients then it is obviously something SHE is doing and not necesserily you. If it can be buffed off as easily as you say i would say it's something she's using that's causing the problem.

There is a varnish you can use to go over the top of the acrylic to stop the yellow appearing. I don't exactly know what causes this. I went into Sallys and they gave me the varnish, but i can't remember what it's called. I'm at work at the Mo but can let you know. Worth a try.:)

she said that when it first happened after the new set was applied her mom buffed it off all but the one that I could still see it on. She said it was on all of the right hand and the thumb of the left. Now, I haven't been able to reach her directly since she left the msg at the salon Saturday but I have a feeling its the same fingers again. She said she didn't tan until the yellow has already appeared. I have a feeling I will do a new set just in case. Prom is only 3 wks away.:irked:

I certainly would not do a full set gratis!!

One of the best things about Creative products is how color stable they are.

For sure it is something she is doing and no way should you have to take THAT onto your shoulders.

Back again. i have found my varnish. ( Yellow-out) It is a clear varnish to put over the top. Not sure if it works, I'm just starting up my business. Hope it helps. If no good please let me know. Cheers

naughty nails said:
There is a varnish you can use to go over the top of the acrylic to stop the yellow appearing. I don't exactly know what causes this. I went into Sallys and they gave me the varnish, but i can't remember what it's called. I'm at work at the Mo but can let you know. Worth a try.:)

You would never need to use anything like this over Creative products ... they do not yellow with age or UV light!

had a client today for her first infill, no lifting, so I was well chuffed but her nails had yellowed which had me gob smacked, I always use looks wet and have never had it go yellow before, she doesn't smoke bla bla, and then when we were nearly finished she mentioned that she had put her own top coat over my top coat, to keep them nice:irked:.
So now she knows that you only need your solar oil adding to what I have done between apointment.
My point is quiet often clients don't think they have done anything because they just do what you did and have no understanding of the differance between super drug and creative retail products:rolleyes:

Hiya,

I think the issue may of been covered but my suggestion is that your client uses a sunbed. Or something to do with creating a tan, still think sunbed really tho.

I had a young lady who had a set of pink & whites done for her prom, she was busy getting pampered left, right & chelsea, i did her nails & she rang me about 4 hrs later to tell me they had all gone yellow. After a few investigative questioning techniques were used it was discovered that she had infact been on 'fast-tan' sunbed & her nails must of yellowed before her eyes!!!!:!: I had used a cheap topcoat! GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!It was, after all, at the beginning of my nail career!!!

I told her to remove her topcoat & re-apply a new clear top coat, & come back if she had any problems......................I never did hear from her again ........???:!:

A quick thought tho - your brush is'nt contaminated is it? That may account for yellow streaking in the acrylic. I heard that if this is the case you can clean your brush in scrubfresh & wipe dry on a paper towl - in a emergency tho only!

Latest posts

Back