Yet another Shellac question.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpleivy

Reaction score
OK, here goes. I'm applying Shellac absolutely according to the book and with CND lamp etc etc.

I get a nice smooth finish to the base coat and put in the lamp. Apply first colour coat and hey presto, there are a few small bumps on the nail. Not dirt, these are little bumps, as if there was a bit of dirt there. I know there was nothing on the nail before it went into the lamp. I haven't had this problem when doing my own nails.

The only thing that I can think is that there's a tiny bubble I can't see which is expanding under the lamp, but it doesn't sound like much of a theory.

In spite of these teething troubles my clients (read Friends!) are all delighted and they are all paying me for practising on them! Why am I worried? It's because I'm a perfectionist!

Any ideas?

Did your client have particularly oily skin? or perhaps they touched their nails after curing the base coat? It sounds like there was some oil/residue underneath the colour (not visible to the eye) but its the same as when you ask the client to keep their hands flat after you have used scrub fresh, so that oils don't get onto the nail plate... perhaps some oils got on top of the base coat before you applied the colour? Its the only think I can think. Hths :)

Hi,

i think sometimes these little bumps are bits of cured gel and if you wipe over the nail with d'sperse to remove the sticky layer, then gently file the bumps away, you can then continue with your second colour coat and all should be fine.

hope this helps

Heather x

I've had these a couple of times and thought it was bubbles that have popped and gone to the service. I've just gently filed them when I've seen them and then carried on as normal. The finished result has no marks/bumps etc.

(btw - can't wait for our shellac morning!)

I've had these a couple of times and thought it was bubbles that have popped and gone to the service. I've just gently filed them when I've seen them and then carried on as normal. The finished result has no marks/bumps etc.

(btw - can't wait for our shellac morning!)

Thanks for your help folks. Yes, Redduck, I'm very much looking forward to spending some time with another geek.

I'm certain it's not the oil thing, I issue stern warnings to clients when I'm giving a last swipe before applying the whatever. My nailbiter lady (who isn't any more:biggrin:) loves the smooth feel and can't resist a quick rub, so I have to watch her!

Lady yesterday is fairly new client so I did warn her, gotta gettem trained ya know! At least I can go for curative solution while I figure out what is wrong.

This provokes new questions, what should I use to wipe off wet gel to file down the bump? What to wipe with to remove dust.

I'd use d.sperse to get rid of the tacky layer, file the bumps, wipe again to get rid of 'bits' (technical term there!) and then polish.

I've had the same trouble and thought I was applying my base coat too thick, I'm now making sure it's really thin and I don't seen to get as many bumps. Could you be applying it too thick? If not, please let me know as it means I haven't found the answer!

Kirsty x

I've had this and it's intermitent, so god knows what causes it.

Various geeks have said that maybe if you speed up your base coat application it may solve it as it may be product curing slightly??

I must admit, I always keep my base coat application thin and lately have been like speedy gonzalez when putting on the base and it does seem to work!

:biggrin: x

I had this problem the other day. will make sure i apply thin thin base coat in future.

What is it they said at the Shellac launch..."thin to win"...keep each layer thin.

Have my next Shellac customer tomorrow, so let's see how I get on with all your advice. I'll report back.

Well, this morning I had a new Shellac client. She chose Masquerade. I followed advice from this thread regarding the thickness and speed of application of the basecoat.

It seemed to go on better, although I did buff back one nail a bit as there was a little lump on it. I find it difficult to do the thinness and the speed. If I load the brush lightly , then it doesn't seem to spread out enough, tricky when you're trying to do it and get it under the lamp quickly.

Client was delighted with her shiny nails, was impressed when I told her that I had had the Fedora on my nails for 11 days. Had an email of thanks later on.

I have had this too, and was puzzling knowing the nail plate was totally clean!

Debbie

Just happened to me too this morning, nightmare......................:Scared:

I never come across this!

Only problem i've ever had with Shellac is with Fedora...if its too thick it kinda PUCKERS...but back to Bagpuss's comment.

THIN TO WIN!

I noticed the polish can split in the bottle a little, causing this, a 'good' mix sorted it for me.

Hi Ladies

Have you managed to solve this problem. I have noticed that when I apply my basecoat I am getting little lumps on the nails, like their is a bit of grit or something on the nail.

I pep properly with Scrubfresh and very thorough, I shake my basecoat well and apply thinnly, so not sure where the problem lies! I don't seem to get it on every nail, have them on around half of them.

Any advice would be great.

Jackie

I've had the same. I assumed it was me being a bit over zealous on my pep and scratching the nail plate ever-so-slightly or something....as last time i shellacked myself i was in a bit of a rush.... ! :eek: (naughty slap!)

hmmmm... i'm due for a reapply this evening and will take a closer look to see if i get these bumps again....

sometimes if your have not removed all the old material or cuticle form the plate, when you apply the base coat it 'raises' any bits off the plate.

Instead of worrying about it here is a solution if you see a 'woolie' or 'fuzzy' or bump in any layer.

Use D.Sperse and remove the tacky layer gently. Buff ever so gently with the 1200 grit side of your Koala Buffer (usually only one stroke or 2 is needed just to flatten the bump). Wipe gently again and proceed with the service. It will be perfect and no bumps.

Keep your area clean and use your ScrubFresh really well by scrubbing to remove all bits form the plate.

sometimes if your have not removed all the old material or cuticle form the plate, when you apply the base coat it 'raises' any bits off the plate.

Instead of worrying about it here is a solution if you see a 'woolie' or 'fuzzy' or bump in any layer.

Use D.Sperse and remove the tacky layer gently. Buff ever so gently with the 1200 grit side of your Koala Buffer (usually only one stroke or 2 is needed just to flatten the bump). Wipe gently again and proceed with the service. It will be perfect and no bumps.

Keep your area clean and use your ScrubFresh really well by scrubbing to remove all bits form the plate.

Can I do this after just the base coat or does it need to be done after 1st layer of colour? Thanks x

Latest posts

Back