Young Nails ManiQ & Polish mix

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been using Mani-q gel for a long time now and mixing it with polish with great success. Most clients have it on for 2 weeks at a time and some for longer but their nails tend to get quite long!

With regards to removing i use warmed acetone and use a metal cuticle pusher to scrape the softened gel off. I leave them in for 10 mins then scrape. No problems. It doesn't come off like acrylic, it doesn't bubble off.

I'm very excited to hear about their premixed colours, interesting!!

Mixing a little polish with gel is nothing new -done it myself for nail art but never would have applied it as an everyday thing to clients natural nails as a polish colour ... To risky and too much waste.

On a serious note, I actually think it is a recipe for disaster down the line for client allergic reactions (and even the future of our industry) from possible overexposure to uncured gel. It is far too exact a science to give techs a free rein to mix a little of this and a little of that. I prefer to know that what I am using is super safe and hypo-allergenic and 3free and that it will cure perfectly every time. All wrapped up in a nice bottle for easy application.

Haha looks like someone fell into the Shellac craze a little to hard. Shellac may be the first gel/polish hybrid but that's just what it is. Gel and polish mixed. The mani q and polish mixture works well with a 50% ratio. And we are getting results up to 5 weeks with no chipping. It's mixed on the spot in front of the client and after a few applications you know how many drops of polish to use so you aren't wasteful. As far as cure goes it takes 2-3 minutes under 36 watt lamp. And guess what? No wrinkling like Shellac. Ever! I understand if you are too wrapped up in the Shellac hype. They did an amazing job at marketing. Except the fact they had to issue a statement saying they were out of the product when they were actually wrapped up in patent infringement suits. Oops.

Anyways, on a more serious note, the mixing works, gives clients unlimited color choices, and we make more money in return. And yes, mani q color premix is available January 1. And no, its not a hybrid with polish. So that means you can actually use the entire bottle and it won't thicken up. The benefit? 15 minute application time. I can't wait!

+1 (I just don't have guts to say it).
another purpose of under-suplying is to keep the price high and also 'make it scarce and hard to get = more desirable'.

well said regal.... i use gelish and love it but am a young nails girl through and through and have ordered all 18 colours which I am looking forward to shout out and be proud of. As for shellac... well it is a large world with many hands in the pot so I am sure that there is room for every type of nail system/U]. i base my business on being honest with my clients but i am professional enough to know that each nail system has its strengths and weakness, fortunately I have not seen a weakness in young nails thus far and as far as i am aware there is no patent pending so no issues there!

Last edited:
Its true....ALL TRUE!!!
We weren't the first out of the gate with soak-off gels in a bottle and we were fine with that. Sure we were working on them but didn't release our new mani q color collection until absolutely every little thing was up to YN standards.....and yours!
The Mani Q Color formula is stable, reliable, predicatble and abundant. The colour selections are our YN mentors favourites.
Not one thing needed to be rushed.....but it all needed to be right! and quite frankly WE DONT CARE ABOUT BEING THE FIRST!
whether you mix the mani q with regular polish...and get great results BTW or turn to the newly launched Mani Q Color range....you wont be disappointed.
:)

Its true....ALL TRUE!!!
We weren't the first out of the gate with soak-off gels in a bottle and we were fine with that. Sure we were working on them but didn't release our new mani q color collection until absolutely every little thing was up to YN standards.....and yours!
The Mani Q Color formula is stable, reliable, predicatble and abundant. The colour selections are our YN mentors favourites.
Not one thing needed to be rushed.....but it all needed to be right! and quite frankly WE DONT CARE ABOUT BEING THE FIRST!
whether you mix the mani q with regular polish...and get great results BTW or turn to the newly launched Mani Q Color range....you wont be disappointed.
:)
Hi there, I posted the original thread asking for advice about Y/N ManiQ/Polish mix and I have obtained limited succcess so wondered if any of you might be able to pinpoint where I'm going wrong?......

I follow the prep instructions to the letter so I'm sure the problem lies with my colour mixing.

The polish mix is coming out patchy and sticky, like thick, tacky nail polish so does that mean that I'm using too much nail polish? How on earth do you measure the formula out 50/50?? should I literally mix in the polish drop by drop?? How many drops on average for 1 set of nails with 2 coat coverage?? and how do I measure out the gel??............How long does the formula last for if I mix too much?? (incidentally I have tried OPI, Duri and Models Own Nail Polish with the ManiQ but none have worked!)

Finally,what is the quickest method for soaking off and are he nails able to take a new set directly after soak off??

Looking forward to your replies coz I really want to crack this

Hugs to you all xxxxxxxxxx

well said regal.... i use gelish and love it but am a young nails girl through and through and have ordered all 18 colours which I am looking forward to shout out and be proud of. As for shellac... well it is a large world with many hands in the pot so I am sure that there is room for every type of nail system/U]. i base my business on being honest with my clients but i am professional enough to know that each nail system has its strengths and weakness, fortunately I have not seen a weakness in young nails thus far and as far as i am aware there is no patent pending so no issues there!

Mmmmm ??? As what is your point ???

Hi there, I posted the original thread asking for advice about Y/N ManiQ/Polish mix and I have obtained limited succcess so wondered if any of you might be able to pinpoint where I'm going wrong?......

I follow the prep instructions to the letter so I'm sure the problem lies with my colour mixing.

The polish mix is coming out patchy and sticky, like thick, tacky nail polish so does that mean that I'm using too much nail polish? How on earth do you measure the formula out 50/50?? should I literally mix in the polish drop by drop?? How many drops on average for 1 set of nails with 2 coat coverage?? and how do I measure out the gel??............How long does the formula last for if I mix too much?? (incidentally I have tried OPI, Duri and Models Own Nail Polish with the ManiQ but none have worked!)

Finally,what is the quickest method for soaking off and are he nails able to take a new set directly after soak off??

Looking forward to your replies coz I really want to crack this

Hugs to you all xxxxxxxxxx

ok, ill help you. for the mani q and polish mix: first sand or buff the natural nails just enough to remove the shine. apply a layer of protein bond to the natural nail. apply a very thin layer of mani q gel to all ten nails. cure under 36 watt lamp for 2 minutes. remove sticky layer with alcohol based wipe. buff the nails with a 180 grit block buffer just enough to remove shine again. apply another layer of protein bond. Now for the mixing: on a ceramic tile or similar, take about 10 drops of polish (dripped straight from bottle). then take the back side of your gel brush and scoop out a bit of mani q gel and place next to the pool of polish on the tile. the pool of mani q and polish should be about the same size. use the back side of the brush to mix them together thoroughly. then apply 2 or 3 layers, each VERY thin, and cure for a minute or so between each layer. then apply a thin layer of mani q gel over top. cure for 3 minutes under 36 watt light then wipe sticky layer off with alcohol.

with the new mani q colors that are soon available, just prep the nails the same, apply base, apply 2 coats of color, apply top coat, swipe sticky layer off, DONE!

There looks like a lot of steps in the first technique, but they are quick. we can do the service in 20 minutes. plus you can charge more for the custom mix. I recommend not to store the mixed color. but mix just enough for one client. there are 2 effective ways to remove both techniques. first sand the top coat just to rough it up to break the seal. acetone soaked cotton wrapped in foil, or soak off in acetone for 5 minutes. Then gently sand off loose product. After you do a few you will be able to remove it in no more than 10 minutes.

and OPI works well for us, as well as China glaze. but other brands work well too.

hope this helps

if with the mani-q and polish mix your are finding the mix becomes more tacky and thicker as you go on then you may be taking too long with your application, laquar evaporates so maybe try just mixing enough for one hand at a time until you get your speed up?
xxx

Thanks for your help ladies. I know now that I was putting too much polish in the mix as opposed to the gel. I did a (semi) successful set yesterday, the only problem being it was a dark cherry colour I was mixing and it came out quite a bit lighter than in the bottle so maybe I didn't put ENOUGH polish in now!???????????? lol

Another question I have is regarding the new mixed ManiQ colourss, I know it says you need to apply a base coat and a topcoat, (which obviously need to be purchased seperately) well, couldn't you use the ManiQ gel as the base and topcoat (like you do with the polish mix routine)??

I'm going to purchase a large pot of ManiQ gel and possibly some premixed colours but don't like the idea of also having to fork out for an additional base and topcoat. Would the ManiQ gel work instead???
Thanks and have a fab Xmas xxxxxxx

Thanks for your help ladies. I know now that I was putting too much polish in the mix as opposed to the gel. I did a (semi) successful set yesterday, the only problem being it was a dark cherry colour I was mixing and it came out quite a bit lighter than in the bottle so maybe I didn't put ENOUGH polish in now!???????????? lol

Another question I have is regarding the new mixed ManiQ colourss, I know it says you need to apply a base coat and a topcoat, (which obviously need to be purchased seperately) well, couldn't you use the ManiQ gel as the base and topcoat (like you do with the polish mix routine)??

I'm going to purchase a large pot of ManiQ gel and possibly some premixed colours but don't like the idea of also having to fork out for an additional base and topcoat. Would the ManiQ gel work instead???
Thanks and have a fab Xmas xxxxxxx

The mani q gel can be used as both the base and top. However, the new mani q topcoat is formulated to be extremely shiny and dries very hard, while sometimes the mani q gel can feel a little rubbery. So, yes, it can be used as both, but I would try the actual topcoat, you will definitely be impressed.

I have had the previlege of using both custom mix mani-q and Mani-Q color and both are fantastic. Its the best of both worlds. I can custom blend if a client wants a particular colour or use one of their pre-mixed colors.
Great Stuff xx

ive seen it before but wasnt really sure how it worked! i too am abit unsure about it!
1st- i think that its a bit of a pain by having to do the base layer then cure then buff then cure then mix the colour then use a special top coat!

2nd- the science behind it! surly it is not a chemically stable product when mixed with ANY nail polished! (YN couldnt of got every bottle of nail polish and tested it) when you cure gel a chemical reaction occurs within the gel to make it soild! so if your adding polish in there which tbh you dont have a clue whats in it! that could affect the chemical reaction occuring, therefor leading to service breakdown or even more important ifecting the nail and heat spick or even exsploding! haha well maybe not! :p but you have got to be carfull with these thing!

i think YN would have just been bettter bringing out the colours 1st as then they can garrenty colour consistancy!

i also think that afew geeks have been quite rude on this thread we are all intitle to our own opinion! and i have to say i am a massive Shellac fan and think it is a better product mani-Q! i think Gigi is a fantasic nail tech (in my opion THE BEST nail tech in the world) and of course she has a very good opinion on Shellac as she has alot to do with it. i think its quite disrespectful the way her comment was shot down!
i think instead of laughing at each others opinions we should just take them on bord! as one day when you mix your maniq and nail polish it may exsplode ;) hehe and you may need another products to replace it! x

dear AmeliaR,

explode, not exsplode... and many more spelling mistakes that hurt my eyes. if you copied your post into MS Word it'd eXploding with red markings highlighting your spelling mistakes...

I have had the previlege of using both custom mix mani-q and Mani-Q color and both are fantastic. Its the best of both worlds. I can custom blend if a client wants a particular colour or use one of their pre-mixed colors.
Great Stuff xx

Hi, Do you use the seperate basecoat and topcoat with the premixed colours or just the normal ManiQ gel??

Thanks xxxxx

ive seen it before but wasnt really sure how it worked! i too am abit unsure about it!
1st- i think that its a bit of a pain by having to do the base layer then cure then buff then cure then mix the colour then use a special top coat!

2nd- the science behind it! surly it is not a chemically stable product when mixed with ANY nail polished! (YN couldnt of got every bottle of nail polish and tested it) when you cure gel a chemical reaction occurs within the gel to make it soild! so if your adding polish in there which tbh you dont have a clue whats in it! that could affect the chemical reaction occuring, therefor leading to service breakdown or even more important ifecting the nail and heat spick or even exsploding! haha well maybe not! :p but you have got to be carfull with these thing!

i think YN would have just been bettter bringing out the colours 1st as then they can garrenty colour consistancy!

i also think that afew geeks have been quite rude on this thread we are all intitle to our own opinion! and i have to say i am a massive Shellac fan and think it is a better product mani-Q! i think Gigi is a fantasic nail tech (in my opion THE BEST nail tech in the world) and of course she has a very good opinion on Shellac as she has alot to do with it. i think its quite disrespectful the way her comment was shot down!
i think instead of laughing at each others opinions we should just take them on bord! as one day when you mix your maniq and nail polish it may exsplode ;) hehe and you may need another products to replace it! x

no explosions here. wont happen. and since it is not a full gel product, and a mix of polish and gel, just like shellac, there is no heat spike. and since there is a full cure of the clear base gel, there is a barrier between the mani q color mix and the nail, so IF there were any uncured gel that would cause these, so called, infections there wouldnt be any contact with the nail. Also, if any of this gel goes uncured, due to older bulbs, angle of the fingers, or any other reason, it is noticed during the swiping step, then can be remedied to get a full cure.

as far as opinions go, you are right, we each have our own. and before anyones opinion got shot down, this one was shot down by no other than in your opinion " the BEST nail tech in the world." And if she has a lot to do with Shellac, then yes, she will obviously have a good opinion on it.

I have a lot to do with a LOT of different brands because I want to use the absolute best for our clients and our nail techs. I personally do an average of 16 clients a day and have 24 nail techs in 3 salons that do almost the same. So I am not here representing any brand, but here to help others become as busy as they want to be. The nail industry isnt as strong as it once was, but is on its way back due to Shellac, Maniq, Harmony, and Axxium. I have used all of these intensely and just one stood out in performance.

But we are here to learn. As professionals in this industry we are looking to find new ways to give our clients new and more options. There are many reputable brands of products out there and work better for some and not so well for others. I can only put what i know works on here to help other techs save time and make more money.

And FYI, mani q, when released by YN wasnt released with the intentions of being mixed. This technique was invented by people like us, nail techs.

Sorry regal but uncured product (gel ) is one of the reasons clients can develop an allerrgy due to overexposure, .

And can you explain your reasons why you say cnd had stock issues?? What source are you getting your information? Shellac is not just polish gel as you put it, unfortunatley it's not that simple,, look into the science you may be surprised.

I'm sorry I never spell checked this so I do apologise if this offends you, but my knowledge is all there!!

no explosions here. wont happen. and since it is not a full gel product, and a mix of polish and gel, just like shellac, there is no heat spike. and since there is a full cure of the clear base gel, there is a barrier between the mani q color mix and the nail, so IF there were any uncured gel that would cause these, so called, infections there wouldnt be any contact with the nail. Also, if any of this gel goes uncured, due to older bulbs, angle of the fingers, or any other reason, it is noticed during the swiping step, then can be remedied to get a full cure.

as far as opinions go, you are right, we each have our own. and before anyones opinion got shot down, this one was shot down by no other than in your opinion " the BEST nail tech in the world." And if she has a lot to do with Shellac, then yes, she will obviously have a good opinion on it.

I have a lot to do with a LOT of different brands because I want to use the absolute best for our clients and our nail techs. I personally do an average of 16 clients a day and have 24 nail techs in 3 salons that do almost the same. So I am not here representing any brand, but here to help others become as busy as they want to be. The nail industry isnt as strong as it once was, but is on its way back due to Shellac, Maniq, Harmony, and Axxium. I have used all of these intensely and just one stood out in performance.

But we are here to learn. As professionals in this industry we are looking to find new ways to give our clients new and more options. There are many reputable brands of products out there and work better for some and not so well for others. I can only put what i know works on here to help other techs save time and make more money.

And FYI, mani q, when released by YN wasnt released with the intentions of being mixed. This technique was invented by people like us, nail techs.

regal, you say
"I have used all of these intensely and just one stood out in performance".

Which one stood out & why?

Also if it is as easy as mixing polish & gel as you say what would be the need for nail techs....anyone can do it themselves?
Apart from being able to warn clients that they could make themselves permanently allergic to the products & therefore never be able to have nice nails again.

If it's so wonderful and easy just to add any old polish to gel, then why have Young Nails Mani-Q invested in a coloured gel line?

Last edited by a moderator:
If mixing polish with gel was so fool proof, long lasting and safe, then why have the company decided to bring out a pre mixed coloured gel line?? Why bother if it is so easy to do it yourself??

I'm sure that cnd would not spend years researching and formulating shellac and be the only company to offer a hybrid product if it was as easy as you say regal. Would you not say?

If mixing polish with gel was so fool proof, long lasting and safe, then why have the company decided to bring out a pre mixed coloured gel line?? Why bother if it is so easy to do it yourself??

I'm sure that cnd would not spend years researching and formulating shellac and be the only company to offer a hybrid product if it was as easy as you say regal. Would you not say?

Oh My Gosh!! I started the original thread as I was interested in using the ManiQ/Polish mix and needed a bit of advice and help and somehow it has all escalated into people taking sides and criticising other peoples' choice of products.

To those lovely geeks who provided genuine input, advice and information, I wholeheartedly thankyou. For those that just look for any reason to argue, I thought this really was supposed to be a place for help and advice not nastiness and bitchiness if you happen to side with other products/people!!

Latest posts

Back