Your Manicure Procedures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsha_wales

Reaction score
Hi

Please can you tell me how you breakdown your manicures ?

I am taking to long i think each step is about 10 mins eg. cuticle pushing, massage. I am really struggling with polish i cant get it straight at the bottom & my hand shakes like mad.

I use star nails products which is what i trained with at college.

hiya

i'm not sure of the exact timings of my manicure procedures but i always like to leave 10-15 mins for polishing. i suffer with shakey hands too and the best advice i can give is to practice resting and positioning your hand. i find it easier to stick my little finger out and rest it on my clients finger also i rest my arm and hand on the mani table. Practice Practice Practice!!!

xxxx

tHink you should be doing more.do more asnd then you will get good like me.I used to shake but not anymore because i practsed loads.

whats the problem with the botom of nails?why you having problems with them?

Problem is that lots of people think cause they can paint there own nails that its a eazy to do a custumer and its not it is like learning again as you are painting from a diferant angel.:rolleyes:

Have a look at Geegs tutorial for polishing nails - I found it a big help.

Precision Polishing

HTH

thank you for your replys

I will look at tutorial & follow your advice little fairy.

gergie i have problems with getting the polish straight at the bottom it looks like zig zags, i have only done clients at college and friends nails. I have practiced loads but doesn't make any difference :cry: i thought it could be the polish at first, i use the attitude range which i have heard is very good.

thank you for your replys

I will look at tutorial & follow your advice little fairy.

gergie i have problems with getting the polish straight at the bottom it looks like zig zags, i have only done clients at college and friends nails. I have practiced loads but doesn't make any difference :cry: i thought it could be the polish at first, i use the attitude range which i have heard is very good.
How do you mean like zig zags Marsha?

I have to say I have used the Attitude range and didn't rate it very highly,I found it peeled off,had a whole set when I was doing my course at college and couldn't get on with it at all.Ended up giving it to my daughter and she ended up binning it as she wasn't impressed either,she was only young at the time as well.:eek:

i don't know its just not straight, a bit like a jagged edge ??

oh i thought the attitude polish had a good reputation. the lady in sallys said they were one of the best you could buy. i have used jessica to but found it to thick and gloopy. what else could i try ?

Get some creative polish`s hun they are fab, have a nice brush so easy to apply and they never go thick and gloopy, highly recomended, and well worth the money as you dont waste non by throwing it away before it empty :hug:

I guess if you're happy with Attitude then thats good,I personally like OPI,Orly and Creative.Real quality products and give a lovely finish,not sure about the zig zagging though,thats down to application have a look at the tutorials as recommended.HTHxx

I never shop as Sally's because I have seen faulty products come from there, polish remover that caused another gals skin on her fingers to peal off extremely thick to the point of bleeding. I never use anything an unlicensed professional can use, for I don't think is says alot for the product. Try creative or China Glaze. I don't know about other countries or states. But Sally's here in Montana/us used to sell CND and they where forced to quit selling it. I thought that was wonderful! I think its okay for files or some implements so on. But products I'm not so sure about. They may be okay for the untrained person but maybe not for professionals.

Of course I'm from Montana/us so I'm not sure what other places are like. I also know here that untrained individuals work at Sally's, so unless you know for certain they are trained and have the product knowledge, I wouldn't concider them to be referring to civilians. So I would really try something by creative, I myself am a lover of China Glaze!

thanks again.

i have not heard of creative or china glaze, where can i buy one from to try ?

i have heard of opi & orly i think i have seen them in a catalogue.

thanks again.

i have not heard of creative or china glaze, where can i buy one from to try ?

i have heard of opi & orly i think i have seen them in a catalogue.

I have never liked OPI or Orly for they seem to get really goopy too soon. Anyway two websites:

China Glaze
Creative Nail Design - Nail Care, Enhancements, and Spa Beauty Products

You can look for a distributor on those sites or you can just order from them. I love the new polish China Glaze has been coming out with. Instead of Glitter they are using Micro Flaked Glass. They look so gorgious!!:green:

I like Creative polish, its good polish, but they don't seem to have the color selection that China Glaze does.

Oh yeah and about your application, like LittlePinkFairy said and what I was taught in school, PLANT YOUR PINKY!!! Believe me I have really shaky hands and people always wonder how I do such detailed art, and its because I plant my pinky..

Try Creative Polish, goes on like a dream. You can purchase from Ellisons

Your polish application is just a matter of practice and all about brush control. if you have a crappy brush then you have a crappy application ... it's why i dread clients bringing their own polish cos usually it is awful, with a short brush!

I find the best thing is to apply in two thin layers and i take a lot of time with my first application. don't overload the brush, apply to the centre of the nail and move down towards the cuticle area and then lightly pull the brush back up the nail. then do this to the sides of the nail. When you take your brush down to the cuticle area do it slowly so that the brush forms its own straight line of polish rather than the zig zag effect you are getting. However you can also tidy the edges up with a brush and Nailfresh (you can use a dehydator or nail polish remover, but i find nailfresh by Creative is the best as it evaporates quickly). but like I say, it help if you have a decent brush to start with ... that's why it's sometimes worth paying that bit extra for a good Pro brand - gives you a more even coverage too!

I am surprised they didn't teach you polish application on your beauty therpay course if it is an NVQ level 2.

They sell OPI and China Glaze at my local Sally's. Both are good polishes.

In my opinion, the best way to improve on your application technique is to keep practicing.

Good luck.

They sell OPI and China Glaze at my local Sally's. Both are good polishes.

In my opinion, the best way to improve on your application technique is to keep practicing.

Good luck.

Thats weird, I thought beings it is a branch store they would do the same things, I guess not!

I dont have a problem with either OPI or Orly going gloopy,I find them both excellent polishes,havn't used China Glaze so cant comment.I find the only time I usually have problems with this in polishes is if the lids havn't been closed properly,if varnish is around the seal,or too warm an environment.

Orly have a wonderful rubber handle to hold that is actually lovely to hold whilst painting,indeed I saw both polishes rated very highly in the Scratch mag today.The comment about Orly was that the rubber handle actually helped with application,especially if people suffer with shakes or sweaty hands.Cant be bad eh!!!!!:green:

The great thing with the rubber handle with the Orly polishes is that if your fingers are all oily from doing your manicure, it is easy to undo them. How frustrating is it when your fingers are sliding around a varnish pot, and you can't open it!!!:lol:

The great thing with the rubber handle with the Orly polishes is that if your fingers are all oily from doing your manicure, it is easy to undo them. How frustrating is it when your fingers are sliding around a varnish pot, and you can't open it!!!:lol:

And you can guarantee that after doing a hand and arm massage your hands are very slippy and cant open any jars never mind polish!

And you can guarantee that after doing a hand and arm massage your hands are very slippy and cant open any jars never mind polish!

you know i find that so irritating, i always end up having to go in the bathroom and wash my hands and the pot, i feel so unprofessional!:o

Latest posts

Back