Your routine for male full body massages?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMMA AT ELITE

Reaction score

Hi All,

Can you please tell me the order of your massage routine for your male clients?
Are there any areas you dont massage?
Do you include the stomach? chest? or do you cover the chest with a towel like you would on a female client & just massage the stomach?
Do you massage up the leg as high as your female clients or stop mid-thigh?

Sorry for all the questions, I havent done a male full body massage in years, all my male clients just seem to have back or indian head massages. Today however a client was enquiring and wants to make an appointment soon.

If there is any hints or tips that you think will help during male full body massages, I would really appreciate hearing them.

Many Thanks

Emma x:hug:x

I do all my male massages exactly the same as I do my female clients, they pay the same price so why should they have less done? Full body means full body so I don't leave anything out unless it has been discussed in the consultation. The only thing I do differently is that I don't go quite as high on the inner thigh with men.

I do all my male massages exactly the same as I do my female clients, they pay the same price so why should they have less done? Full body means full body so I don't leave anything out unless it has been discussed in the consultation. The only thing I do differently is that I don't go quite as high on the inner thigh with men.

I do the same too

I am doing massage at college at the moment. We are advised to just massage to above the knee on male clients, ie not the thigh area.

I suppose it is a therapists personal choice.

Hi,
I was also taught at college not to go on the upper inner thigh and also to avoid the stomach area. I think it is a personal thing though and as a professional you will know what you feel comfortable doing and how best to carry out the treatment for your client...xXx

Hi,
I have heard that some colleges teach you to leave out the stomach and not to go too far up the thigh, this wasn't the case when I was training, we were taught to always ask a male client to wear swimming shorts or boxer shorts which do come further down the thigh so this is where I would stop. Hope this helps! x

I'm doing massage at college and we were told when we are massaging men to avoid the 'femoral triangle'

When I was at college there was none of this nonsense about no stomach massage or ending at the knee; men do have some control over themselves & I've certainly never experienced spontaneous erections with stomach or thigh massage!! The only bit to avoid is too close on the inner thigh, the same as for women, as the skin is very sensitive there.

hey all..

i was taught pretty much the same.
but please do be careful on the inner thighs... i have had few problems with some of my my male clients!! some can be very sensitive! also if they are quite hairy on the chest area or legs a talc may be better than an oil or when using any machines.

oh and more pressure for the men... they can take it ;)

hope this helps. xxx

I totally agree with all you have said. How on earth could you just massage a male client up his knee!

I understand not going too high on the inner thigh for obvious reasons, but what's the worse that could happen?

I also do male brazilians, and 'things' do happen in the majority of cases by human nature....

I wont be very happy if I was male, and I went for a massage and didnt get my thighs massaged!

I agree in that i do exactly the same treatment.

I understand being careful how high you go on the inner thigh for both male and female clients, we were taught to the knee on men at college, but seriously? Any men i know that have this feel quite cheated. I also know a lot of men that need thigh massage from sport, physical workload, etc

The stomach makes me giggle. Is that what turns you fellas on, eh?

My male clients typically prefer the massage with more pressure, but i assume you will be covering this in the consultation anyway so no worries xx

Despite the notion that we are a progressive society, I'm starting to think the colleges are getting more prudish! When I get work experience students they seem also to stop their back massages at the waist, whatever happened to massaging the sacrum & buttocks?!

Before long a full body massage will only be below the ankles & above the neckline!

Despite the notion that we are a progressive society, I'm starting to think the colleges are getting more prudish! When I get work experience students they seem also to stop their back massages at the waist, whatever happened to massaging the sacrum & buttocks?!

Before long a full body massage will only be below the ankles & above the neckline!

I haven't been taught to stop back massage on anyone at the waist.

Although my college recommends just above the knee, it is explained that it is the therapist's personal choice and if the therapist feels comfortable doing the same as she/he does with female clients that is ok. No need to be so condescending on how colleges teach - some are pretty good and I am sure there is some logic on what you might think is madness!:)

I have a lot of guys who need lots of work on their glutes,i.e runners and cyclists.I dont think it's so much the colleges teaching the students not to work on the glutes as the therapists being non- confident in massaging such an area.It's a bit like when we first qualify,we stick to our routine that we learnt at college, giving quite a gentle massage,whereas once we build up our confidence the old elbows start being used for deep work and we learn lots of different techniques.

As for when I do male clients I do the whole of the body other than the upper,inner part of the thighs.My routine is in the same order as doing a womens massage.I never ever use talc as I dont have a problem with pulling mens hair when massaging with oil and believe me I have some real gorilla type guys(bless em:green:)I do check that they are comfortable but never had a problem.We had to use talc as a range in assessment but personally I think the talc thing is a bit of an old wives tale,if you are going to pull the clients hair with oil you will pull with talc.I dont like the feel of talc on the hands and I dont feel it gives for a nice flowing massage.HTH

I never ever use talc as I dont have a problem with pulling mens hair when massaging with oil and believe me I have some real gorilla type guys(bless em:green:)I do check that they are comfortable but never had a problem.We had to use talc as a range in assessment but personally I think the talc thing is a bit of an old wives tale,if you are going to pull the clients hair with oil you will pull with talc.I dont like the feel of talc on the hands and I dont feel it gives for a nice flowing massage.HTH

The talc is certainly an old wives tale; I find it the most uncomfortable medium for massage, and if anything it normally pulls more than oil! Whenever I go on a course & they start to reach for the talc I tell them to forget it! The upside is that all those people who I've been on courses with over the years will hopefully now be using oil & not worrying about pulling hairs.

Oil / creme or massage wax ... never massage with a powder - it feels horrible, provides a lot more drag and feels quite horrible!!

If I booked a full body massage I would be very annoyed if my stomach wasn't massaged - that is one of my fave bits of a massage along with hands. Also some of the biggest muscles in the body are the glutes and thighs, so again these needs to be massaged ... particularly if they do any sport.

I always do the complete thighs. For the inside of the thigh good firm draping is naturally essential. I then bend the leg so the foot is flat on the table (just below the position of the knee on the other leg). I then sit on this foot to keep the leg in place and will move the leg out to the side exposing the inner thigh and then apply firm confident strokes. Firm and confident are the most important words here.

Mat

Oil / creme or massage wax ... never massage with a powder - it feels horrible, provides a lot more drag and feels quite horrible!!

If I booked a full body massage I would be very annoyed if my stomach wasn't massaged - that is one of my fave bits of a massage along with hands. Also some of the biggest muscles in the body are the glutes and thighs, so again these needs to be massaged ... particularly if they do any sport.

I always do the complete thighs. For the inside of the thigh good firm draping is naturally essential. I then bend the leg so the foot is flat on the table (just below the position of the knee on the other leg). I then sit on this foot to keep the leg in place and will move the leg out to the side exposing the inner thigh and then apply firm confident strokes. Firm and confident are the most important words here.

Mat

With all due respect,'firm' is not one of the most important words.Everyone likes a different pressure even men and that's why it's crucial that we check if our pressure is suitable for the client as we massage.It's not fair at all to assume males all want a firm pressure.Indeed my husband finds he is much happier with a very light massage and I have a few guys who like the more gentler approach,most do like a firm pressure but it's important not to type cast.

The upper/inner part of a thigh is an erogenous zone,which for womens safety and the male clients peace of mind is why we are advised not to perform massage on this area.For me I feel happier not doing this area on a male client and I know most of my beauty therapists,masseurs and masseus friends tend to follow suit.If you're happy doing this then fine.:hug:

By firm I meant not light and ticklish ... confident in the stroke you are doing. It is the same as massaging feet or the sides of the body - if you do it too lightly and gingerly it is much more likely to tickle.

I really should follow a friends lead and not read these threads because, while the advice is given with the best of intentions and I can understand that they can end up really winding me up too much! I feel a blog post coming up.

Mat

As far as males and females go I do the treatment the same and just vary the pressure depending on the client. I always ask if they wish to have their stomach done as I've found some (very few) people do not like their stomach being massaged.

I've never had problem with a male client though I find with online ads its best to stipulate it's not a sexual service - again this is just due to massage flagging up dodgy sites online.

If have a super hair chap I tend to add coconut oil to my blend as it works better over the hair.

K xx

Thanks for all your replies some really interesting comments :hug:

Latest posts

Back