1 rating on Facebook who has never visited my salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlt

Reaction score
ive just looked at my ratings on fb and there is a 1 star from someone - this someone is an ex boyfriend from 25 years ago's sister!!!! She has never visited my salon - how should I deal with this???? Thanks in advance x

Did she leave a comment with it?Can you delete it?

I have some of these too. They were there when Reviews were still anonymous and we couldn't see who was giving us low ratings. Since Facebook have now changed this (after much complaints), we can at least see the names of who has left us reviews. Since they implemented this change, I haven't had anymore "fake" low reviews. I don't think there is anything you can do about them either. Just have to live with it...as petty as it is.

I would certainly go all out to get some good ratings quickly ... 10% off next visit should do it.

Can you leave a comment against her rating? Such as ... I'm sorry but since you have never visited my salon could you remove your comment which is obviously meant for somewhere else?

Thanks everyone, All my other ratings are good, I wondered why it never showed her name before!!!
I think I'll leave a comment as you say blossom, it doesn't give me the option to delete - we'll see what she has to say!!!! She looks like such a fool! X

I agree to leave a quick polite friendly comment to say she's never been before and is her rating a mistake.
She could have done it out of spite when ratings were anonymous or it could have been a genuine accident where she was on the page and clicked the low rating by accident.
Maybe By commenting and drawing her attention to it she might delete it.

Oh sorry I read it as you had 1 rating lol ....
Good glad you have plenty good. She will look a complete turkey x

There will be of course be those that just want to elicit a reaction by posting unnecessary, irrelevant or just plain hateful comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a one star rating on my page too from a girl who is in my younger sisters class in primary school! We never had problems with each other and she has never had any treatments from me. So to leave any rating let alone a 1 star just beggars belief!

ive just looked at my ratings on fb and there is a 1 star from someone - this someone is an ex boyfriend from 25 years ago's sister!!!! She has never visited my salon - how should I deal with this???? Thanks in advance x

If you are a 100% sure they have not visited the salon and it is a fake review you can be aggressive as you wish. I would comment back and make sure they know you will be getting legal advice asap. I would also if possible pm them to rectify the situation privately before.

This client has never set foot on the premises of......,name of salon Please be aware that ..........name of salon will be seeing legal advice regarding the slanderous nature of this rating.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/social-media-online-defamation.html

If you are a 100% sure they have not visited the salon and it is a fake review you can be aggressive as you wish. I would comment back and make sure they know you will be getting legal advice asap. I would also if possible pm them to rectify the situation privately before.

This client has never set foot on the premises of......,name of salon Please be aware that ..........name of salon will be seeing legal advice regarding the slanderous nature of this rating.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/social-media-online-defamation.html

Personally I think that is over the top.... I think the friendly approach is much better and from an outside perspective it looks far more professional. Defamation is one thing but I'm not sure you can legally have a review as defamation (haven't looked at your link).

Most responses I've seen from all sorts of businesses (wedding photographers mainly as that's what the other half has me looking at in my spare time) Is along the lines of 'thank you for taking the time to leave a review however from memory and records I can't remember yourself ever using our services. Is you have visited/used us then please get in contact so we can discuss your review and why such a low rating as your opinion matters to us.'

Just my 2p worth.

Personally I think that is over the top.... I think the friendly approach is much better and from an outside perspective it looks far more professional. Defamation is one thing but I'm not sure you can legally have a review as defamation (haven't looked at your link).

Most responses I've seen from all sorts of businesses (wedding photographers mainly as that's what the other half has me looking at in my spare time) Is along the lines of 'thank you for taking the time to leave a review however from memory and records I can't remember yourself ever using our services. Is you have visited/used us then please get in contact so we can discuss your review and why such a low rating as your opinion matters to us.'

Just my 2p worth.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh but what really gets me is it was an ex-boyfriends ( family maybe even him) doing it. It is different when it is a random stranger or just a troll. This act is just so disturbing and would be asking is this a one off or has the perpetrator done other things.

Sorry if I am being too over dramatic but I just find it horrible that someone would try and destroy someones hard earned business.

Thanks everyone, All my other ratings are good, I wondered why it never showed her name before!!!
I think I'll leave a comment as you say blossom, it doesn't give me the option to delete - we'll see what she has to say!!!! She looks like such a fool! X

Try to remain professional @Charlt. Your reply is as much for any visitor to your page (and potential customer) as the original person who left the comment.

'Thanks for the feedback. Could you please give us a little more detail about your negative experience? I don't seem to recall you in the Salon... blah blah' :)

But as the other guys said, just do your best to get so many new good reviews that this one incorrect negative one doesn't even matter! Good luck :)

My friend was saying sometimes people can accidentally give a business a rating without realising it I don't know if they accidentally do it on their phone. That happened to her and she hadn't realised she had even star rated that businesses. Xxxx

I agree with SimplyBusiness - let us know what she comes back with! x

These ratings are more than likely an accidental mistake, Its really easy when scrolling down a business page on your mobile to click and rate a business and once done i'm not sure you can even change it.

You can click the report button under the rating and sometimes Facebook will remove it automatically

You can also leave a friendly response under it , don't threaten legal action or leave a snarky comment this is just going to show bad customer service. You have to take ratings with a pinch of salt. I know from personal experience you will go by the majority of reviews not just a single bad review, particularly with no comment beside it. When looking for reviews for hotel for example you will have a quick look through the good and the bad but one bad rating about how the towels weren't fluffy enough or something else trivial would not influence your discussion at all…… however a sour reply from the business to a customer would!! Be very careful :)

This happened to me, someone gave us a 3 which in the greater scheme of things isn't too bad, however we have always had a 5 and so this bought our star rating down, here was my reply:
Hello Hannah, thank you for your review I see you have only given the salon a 3, we pride ourselves on giving the best service and treatments. You don't seem to be on our database for ever coming to the salon, so we would be grateful if you could tell us how you formed your opinion?
Kind regards
Carla

You can always remove your first line of address then it removes the "reviews" section - I too had this with people in other countries lowering our star rating. I now have a salon system where clients can leave a genuine review once they have had their appointment [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back