1st Dark skinned client, advice....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talented talons

Master Artist
Reaction score
It took me ages to think of a way of asking this without being rude or anything.

I got a call from a lady who was my mid wife from 7 years ago, (time flies) and i have booked her in to do her nails.

This may seem like a strange question but i have never done any nails on a black person and wanted to know if i should use a different colour on the nail bed or not??

I use EZ Flow as you all know and have many CB mixes ranging from pinks to peaches, but only have the translucent pink for when i don't need to cover anything on the nail bed. She is having french, so would i use a stark white or a more soft white? I've been doing nails for four years, but never had this come up before, so never asked.

I sound so dumb now.....:o

I just need to know this so i am prepared, i feel like a newbie....lol.

When I used EZFlow in the nailbar I worked in many moons ago we were always told to use clear over the nail beds of a black client, and leave the choice of the white up to them. However colour choice has moved on eons since then, so there may be a better option. The trouble is that there are many different tones of black skins too - some warm and some cool, so not always clear cut either!

My client is very dark skinned so it is going to be difficult to know what to try. Maybe a natural powder would be okay?

I have truly white and just white as well as natural, so i can offer lots of possibilities. Thanks Sassy.

Hi hun, I only ever had one black lady come to me for nails, I wanted to do a soft white on her, I thought it would suit her dusky honey tones much better but no, she wanted bright white, so thats what I did, I used clear in zone 2 and 3 and day to day I have to say that this is the usual look, that I see, unless they go for some very zanny nail art, lots of bling. My lady had very strong nails but her skin was incredibly dry and she said her nails were too. and that she couldn't grow them because they were so brittle. She was a client for about 6 months and with lots of solar oil products we improved her nails and skin so much that she stopped having enhancements and grew her natural nails, and learned to give herself french manicures:irked: Good luck hun, I'm sure you'll be fine:hug:

Thanks, its great to know what to expect. I feel like a newbie again and just want to make sure i am doing the right thing.

I'll let you guys know how it went, but it's not for over a week yet.

I use clear when working on clients with dark skin, I've attached a before and after so you can see the end result :D

:edit... trying to upload but not got much attachment space left, I'm working on it!

picture.php
picture.php

Finally done it :o

Can i just ask why you wouldn't use pink please ?

With darker skinned clients the nail bed looks a lot healthier than on paler skinned clients (IMO). I think that using pink would do nothing to enhance the colour of the nails. I was really pleased with the overall finished look of her nails (and also another client of mine who's West Indian) and wouldn't fail to use clear again :D

I have the same problem with one of my clients. I am actually doing a one day training course on Wednesday and I am taking my client with me. I am at the point of of sacking her. I cant get the colour of the nail bed right, I cant get the shape of the nails right blah blah blah. I will post some pictures next week when I have done it.

They are great Elyse. really love the second ones
wonderful

ooooo me liking the second ones too.

I have had West Indian clients, and I have used cnd perfect colour pink on the nail bed & perfect colour white in zone 1. I have also done her nails using natural tips and using cnd Perfect colour pink over the lot.
They looked very nice.
I was mobile at the time, and I had no idea what she was like until she open the door on the 1st appointment and I had to think quick and make my decision there and then what to use!
I'll go and see if I can find a pic for you hun xx

Thanks for explaining Sandi :hug:

I have to say though,personally when comparing the pics posted,i love the perfect pink and custom blend i think they give a very healthy glow to the nail,jmo xxxxx

hi
i use gel not l&p but always use a clear gel with white instead of a pink if working on a darker skined client.
ciara

Hi i am a black woman and a nail technician. You can use any colour acrylic personally i find the pink one looks best but not every body likes it, ask the client if they would like a pinkish look or a natural look decide from there what colour to use. But it is no big thing you can use any colour just as you would on any other person!

I have found the colours I have used look to pale. The last test on I did on putting metallic red in frosted pink was a lot better but not quite there yet.

I'm african american and when i have nails on i prefer a pink acrylic and i like my tip very white..

Latest posts

Back