36 too old to become a hairdresser???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhead

Reaction score
sorry if this is already on here somewhere but I have searched and was unable to find anything. I have just turned 36 and was wondering if anyone left it this late in life to start training to be a hairdresser. If it isn't, does anyone have any ideas as to where (in west yorkshire)to go for training? many thanks eagerly awaiting replies.
emma

Hi! My best friend passed her NVQ 2 & 3 in hairdressing at the age of 33 and she loved it. I don't think its ever too old to learn something new so long as you have the enthusiasm for it :biggrin:Can't help with places to study in your area sorry as its a bit far from me, but if you google Hairdressing NVQ's in your area it should give you a place to start looking and maybe someone on here that lives in your area can give you more info.

Julie:biggrin:

I did an adults into beauty course part time & i know there was an adults into hairdressing as well, there may be similar at your local colleges as there are at most round here.

good luck :biggrin:

sorry if this is already on here somewhere but I have searched and was unable to find anything. I have just turned 36 and was wondering if anyone left it this late in life to start training to be a hairdresser. If it isn't, does anyone have any ideas as to where (in west yorkshire)to go for training? many thanks eagerly awaiting replies.
emma

your kidding right :eek:...there is absolutely no limit to age with these things.
Oh to be 36 all over again :Grope:

Good luck and bet your best in class...OMG sounds like some sort of Crufts dog show thing:eek: :hug:

There's a 60 year old woman on my course! She seems to be getting on fine :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Go for it!!!!:biggrin: Not too old at all. When I trained at my local college we also had people in there fifties and sixties on the course.

Good luck I'm sure you will love it. :D

There's a 60 year old woman on my course! She seems to be getting on fine :)
Posted via Mobile Device

That will be me lol :lol: , no only joking , seriously though if you have got the flair for hairdressing and enjoy it, it doesn't matter one jot ... what your age is , the only problems may be getting work placements etc...

Definately Not. I started beauty college at the age of 37. I am now 47 with my own very successful business. Go for it, you'll never look back. Good luck.

No, it's not but tougher for job opportunities. There are pros and cons of having older newly qualified stylists but speaking from an employers point of view, it comes down to money and reliability. Older newly qualified stylists in my experience are more reliable but often come with kids, wanting a higher wage and lack of confidence. Since I have had my salon I have had 5 newly qualified stylists, 3 of them older. With all the older ones I had problem with confidence, the tended to over think and were more scared of making mistakes. I have spoken to a few fellow salon owners and they have found this too.

However, if you are determined anything can be achieved. Just keep plugging away and working hard. :)

Hi Redhead,

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! I was 36 yesterday and started my NVQ 2 last Easter, it is by far the best thing i have ever done. I have always loved doing hair and always wanted to qualify but the timing never seemed right. Don't let age put you off! I qualify in July and already have 15 regular clients doing mobile hairdressing, i am realistic and do basic stuff that I feel confident doing but I absolutely love it. I've been doing a part-time evening course for a year now and have been volunteering a few hours a week in my local salon which has been a great experience...follow your heart and go for it!!!!!

your kidding right :eek:...there is absolutely no limit to age with these things.
Oh to be 36 all over again :Grope:

What he said! :cool:

Honestly, if it's something you WANT to do and you LOVE doing, no age limit, indeed! Best of luck to you! :D

What he said! :cool:

Honestly, if it's something you WANT to do and you LOVE doing, no age limit, indeed! Best of luck to you! :D

was that the"oh to be 36 again "bit then :eek::lol::hug:

Donna has raised some valid points, and my experiences echo hers. That said, there are opportunities out there.
My negative experience stems from an older new qualified feeling that she should not take direction or training from those younger but more experienced than her.

i was 49 when i did my nvq in hairdressing and loved every moment of it altho most of the girls in the class were alot younger than me the oldest next to me was about 30 the youngest 19 we all got on so well had a laugh helped each other out i have made so many new friends and we have stayed friends (we qualified in 2007) go for it i have just done beauty and threading im going onto do advance beauty (i dont know how ill fit it all in lol)and love life YOU ARE ONLY AS OLD AS YOU FEEL

A big Thank you to everyone who replied, thank you for all your comments and advice. Must admit, the thing about getting work experience was something that has been on my mind. Wouldn't know where to start with that.:?:

Just to feel like I've stated my piece and echoed a lot of people here... my Mum re-trained as a hairdresser at 45 and I think she found the so called 'life experience' really useful in terms of being able to read people and make thorough consultations (which generally prevents most common errors in hairdressing!), but her other family commitments were one of the reason she stopped I think. On the other hand, a great friend of mine is re-training at college at the moment, she's also 36, and is top of her class by a mile and I haven't seen any other hairdresser with her passion and creativity for a long time.

I think it's far more dependent on your personality, commitment and circumstances rather than your age! xxx

No, it's not but tougher for job opportunities. There are pros and cons of having older newly qualified stylists but speaking from an employers point of view, it comes down to money and reliability. Older newly qualified stylists in my experience are more reliable but often come with kids, wanting a higher wage and lack of confidence. Since I have had my salon I have had 5 newly qualified stylists, 3 of them older. With all the older ones I had problem with confidence, the tended to over think and were more scared of making mistakes. I have spoken to a few fellow salon owners and they have found this too.

I do think it is tougher for job opportunities too. I retrained in Beauty Therapy approx 6 years ago at the age of 31. I've met quite a few therapists of a similar age to me and they don't have a problem getting jobs etc but I do get the impression that the hairdressing industry is a little more ageist than beauty.

I am currently training in hairdressing and can't imagine a hairdressers wanting to take me on compared to a younger apprentice. Sorry to sound negative but when I got my first job in beauty they didn't even care about my age and the fact that this was my first job in beauty whereas I get the impression that a hairdressers does. I guess the difference is that generally speaking an apprentice will work in a hairdressers whilst they are at college one day a week whereas with beauty you go to college full time and then get the job. Also the problem with me only being college based whilst becoming a hairdresser will make it even harder for me to get a job in a hairdressers after I have qualified because I will be lacking in experience!

hi am nearly 38 and just finished level 3 at college after studying for 3 years and i have had a ball. xxx I am now freelance and also working in a salon for free for experience...and i really enjoy it.xx go for it...

Latest posts

Back