5:2/The Fast Diet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically on NON fast days do you have to stick to your TDEE limit (mine is 1201 calories) or not?

I'd say no.

The 5:2 diet works because your body doesn't go into starvation mode (which it does on most calorie restreicted diets).

When your body goes into starvation mode it stores energy for when food is in short supply - this is your body storing FAT - then when you eat less you use your fat reserves BUT putting your body in starvation mode means as soon as you eat normally you start storing fat again NOT burning it off.

The 5:2 diet works as your eating plenty and then wham nothing so you burn your reserves (FAT) then your eating well again the next day so the body DOESN'T try to store fat. If your body is getting lots of food then nothing (FAST) then lots of food it doesn't go into starvation mode, it goes into repair mode, fixing things that are wrong within the body (there are lots of these health benefits that go with the 5:2 diet) and you also use some of your fat reserves to get through the fast.

From what I understood of the research, the longer you go from the night before your fast to when you have anything on your fast day the better, so having 1 meal in the evening is best as your body has worked for a long time on your fat reserves and then you break the fast with a small meal (500/600 cals) and go to bed again. Then you eat as normal keeping your body guessing and stopping it from going into starvation mode.

Your TDEE depends on your current height, weight and how active you are. X

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry I've just been scanning through this thread .. How do u work your TDEE out please xx

Thank you so much BaggyBear for such an informative reply. Ok I think I now understand why I haven't been losing weight (before this diet). I suffer from severe food allergies and IBS too and if I'm having a flare up which is quite usual I can go for days without being able to barely eat anything yet I don't lose much weight. So it seems like my body is going into starvation mode then as soon as I start eating again it hangs onto it. Gosh, this is like a light bulb moment coz I really couldn't work out how I barely eat some weeks but still can't get rid of the half a stone I want to lose. I'm going to really try and have a go with this 5/2 thing and see if that is the answer to my problems.

Sorry I've just been scanning through this thread .. How do u work your TDEE out please xx

There's a link towards the beginning of the thread for the website and it's got a TDEE calculator on it that works out how many calories you're allowed based on weight, height, exercise.

There's a link towards the beginning of the thread for the website and it's got a TDEE calculator on it that works out how many calories you're allowed based on weight, height, exercise.

Thanku. I'll take a look. Xx

I started sticking to my TDEE after I started to plateau.

So basically on NON fast days do you have to stick to your TDEE limit (mine is 1201 calories) or not?

I cant help but feel your TDEE is too low. But I'm just not counting on feast days now to see what happens. I watched the documentary on daily motion. I think it was called eat,fast live longer. Highly recommend. X

I cant help but feel your TDEE is too low. But I'm just not counting on feast days now to see what happens. I watched the documentary on daily motion. I think it was called eat,fast live longer. Highly recommend. X

I found that documentary last night, very interesting. Maybe Waffle is confusing her BMR with her TDEE?

Free 5.2 recipe ideas in daily mail tomorrow ;) xxx

I found that documentary last night, very interesting. Maybe Waffle is confusing her BMR with her TDEE?

Where did you find the documentary? Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, I entered my height, current weight, how much I want to lose and sedentary for exercise and that's the figure it's come out with. Just checked again and same figure. Maybe it's coz I'm very small, with not much to lose?

Very interesting and thank you. I don't have the book yet and wonder if the documentary is still available to watch/listen to online? If so, could you post the link, please?

I soooo agree with the bit about keeping your body guessing, the same as with your exercise regime. It simply doesn't pay to keep doing the same old/same old ad infinitum and, especially when you hit a plateau, I've found maybe eating a bit more and then dropping back down again can jolt the weight loss process into action once more.

The documentary is here:
Eat, Fast and Live Longer | Documentary Heaven

You don't out weight loss in for TDEE as TDEE is the number for you to maintain your current weight. Which us how this diet works. X

I read that you eat a quarter of your normal calorie intake, mine is between 1500-1600 yet I'm doing 500-550 on fast days, will this still work?
I don't think I could lower my intake on fast days, and don't really want to start eating more then normal?

Xx

I read that you eat a quarter of your normal calorie intake, mine is between 1500-1600 yet I'm doing 500-550 on fast days, will this still work?
I don't think I could lower my intake on fast days, and don't really want to start eating more then normal?

Xx

I read that too. But I have decided to do 500 for now as it's working, then when my weight loss starts to plateau then I will look at doing my TDEE and fast on a quarter of that.

I read that too. But I have decided to do 500 for now as it's working, then when my weight loss starts to plateau then I will look at doing my TDEE and fast on a quarter of that.

Yer I guess it's trial and error, see what works, I'll keep doing as I am and see how it goes xxx

Btw bought daily mail with the 5.2 meal plan and far to fancy pants for me!! Xx

Btw bought daily mail with the 5.2 meal plan and far to fancy pants for me!! Xx

I found some GF ready meals in Tesco for 400 cal so I'm giving those a whirl tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back