50's fancy dress ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch16

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering if any one can give me some ideas for a 50's fancy dress party. Really need ideas for my partner & me so please help if you can. Thank you in advance :)

Well, clearly you're Danny and Sandy from Grease! x

Hi everyone just wondering if any one can give me some ideas for a 50's fancy dress party. Really need ideas for my partner & me so please help if you can. Thank you in advance :)

You ever seen Cry Baby? Its one of Johnny Depp's earlier films. Set in the 50s and focuses on the romance between a "Square" and a "Drape". Similar in some ways to Grease but slightly kookier if you don't want to be too predictable. sounds like a good laugh though x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

No not seen it but with the power of google I shall see what I can find on it thank you

Depends of you want somethimg completely commercial, ie Grease, or something a bit more authentic looking. Heres just a few ideas of things you may even have in your wardrobe:

You:
Clothes: Pedal pushers, pencil skirts, pencil dress, Wide belt (looks good with high waisted pedal pushers or a skirt), off the shoulder top, gypsy top, halter top, tie up shirt...
Shoes: wedges, high heeled mules, ballet flats, espadrilles.
Hair: quiff at the front, pin on side up and add a flower to the side you pinned up. Easy. For added glamour, you could curl it, still doing those things. Or just a ponytail with the quiff.

Him: jeans with turn-ups, biker boots and a plain t-shirt. And put a load of grease in his hair and give him a quiff. He's easy!

I am a collector of 50s vintage clothes........I had someone stop me just the other week in primark saying "omg you're what I want!" for a fancy dress thing she was going to. All I had on was ballet flats, quite loose high waisted jeans with turn ups, a fitted t-shirt and a rubbish little leather bomber jacket. My hair was in a bun with a quiff and a bandana folded so it was like a headband and tied round my hair.....if u get what I mean!

Funny thing was me and my sort of bf had a row about how I was looking before we went out. (he hates me looking different!) He soon ate his words after that little incident!

There a fab shop in North London called Vivien of Holloway - the clothes are amazing from the 40's and 50's - they do mail order, if you google them but even if you do not want to buy its worth a look to get some ideas.

Have fun x

Depends of you want somethimg completely commercial, ie Grease, or something a bit more authentic looking. Heres just a few ideas of things you may even have in your wardrobe:

You:
Clothes: Pedal pushers, pencil skirts, pencil dress, Wide belt (looks good with high waisted pedal pushers or a skirt), off the shoulder top, gypsy top, halter top, tie up shirt...
Shoes: wedges, high heeled mules, ballet flats, espadrilles.
Hair: quiff at the front, pin on side up and add a flower to the side you pinned up. Easy. For added glamour, you could curl it, still doing those things. Or just a ponytail with the quiff.

Him: jeans with turn-ups, biker boots and a plain t-shirt. And put a load of grease in his hair and give him a quiff. He's easy!

I am a collector of 50s vintage clothes........I had someone stop me just the other week in primark saying "omg you're what I want!" for a fancy dress thing she was going to. All I had on was ballet flats, quite loose high waisted jeans with turn ups, a fitted t-shirt and a rubbish little leather bomber jacket. My hair was in a bun with a quiff and a bandana folded so it was like a headband and tied round my hair.....if u get what I mean!

Funny thing was me and my sort of bf had a row about how I was looking before we went out. (he hates me looking different!) He soon ate his words after that little incident!

Why why why why why?

Your dress sense sounds fab to me!!!

I hope you don't change yourself and how you dress or look, it takes serious confidence to be different and I know from some of your previous posts you suffer a little bit with low esteem and self doubt.

This is obviously one area that lifts your mood and spirit, don't let anyone put that flame out!

Jacqui xx

There a fab shop in North London called Vivien of Holloway - the clothes are amazing from the 40's and 50's - they do mail order, if you google them but even if you do not want to buy its worth a look to get some ideas.

Have fun x

Wow fantastic shop. Love the dresses. Thanks for everyones help :) x

Why why why why why?

Your dress sense sounds fab to me!!!

I hope you don't change yourself and how you dress or look, it takes serious confidence to be different and I know from some of your previous posts you suffer a little bit with low esteem and self doubt.

This is obviously one area that lifts your mood and spirit, don't let anyone put that flame out!

Jacqui xx

Awwwww thanks Jacqui! Yes my self esteem is non existant! So I don't even understand how I can go out the house being different!!!! I think i lived it in another life! Lol! I don't have the guts to do it all the time though. And no, I'd never change for anyone!

Yes, try Vivian of Holloway. I know the girls who run it and they do great stuff. Also Tara Starlet. They do lovely stuff too and have an online shop and a concession in TopShop (not sure if it's only the massive Oxford St. one though). And google vintage shops in your area also. And good ole fleabay......it can be a god send for vintage and repro stuff!

Good luck! Xxx

You ever seen Cry Baby? Its one of Johnny Depp's earlier films. Set in the 50s and focuses on the romance between a "Square" and a "Drape". Similar in some ways to Grease but slightly kookier if you don't want to be too predictable. sounds like a good laugh though x

That was the film that made me fall head over heels in teenage "love" with Johnny Depp haha Amazing film xx

That was the film that made me fall head over heels in teenage "love" with Johnny Depp haha Amazing film xx

I know me too. I had a huge Cry Baby poster on my bedroom wall at one time, swoon lol x

Latest posts

Back