60 / 40%

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vixen100

Reaction score
I am going self employed and there is the owner who :green:wants 60% and I get 40% she provides everything pays for all products etc. Is this A GOOD DEAL?

This is what I was offered in a salon when I left my last salon. I thought about the sums and then went mobile! If the salon is super busy then it will be a good deal otherwise a set wage would be better but then you wouldn't be self employed but at the end of the day if she is providing the product and telling you when to work you won't feel self employed anyway.

This is what I was offered in a salon when I left my last salon. I thought about the sums and then went mobile! If the salon is super busy then it will be a good deal otherwise a set wage would be better but then you wouldn't be self employed but at the end of the day if she is providing the product and telling you when to work you won't feel self employed anyway.

You are right Weezie - plus the Inland Revenue state that if the owner wants to provide the products and state what times you work then you should be employed.

You are right Weezie - plus the Inland Revenue state that if the owner wants to provide the products and state what times you work then you should be employed.

Interesting Oey :hug: I would have thought this to be the case as calling you self employed is just a way of the salon owner getting round sorting out your tax and this will also need to be taken into consideration as another deduction from your wages plus your National Insurance.

Interesting Oey :hug: I would have thought this to be the case as calling you self employed is just a way of the salon owner getting round sorting out your tax and this will also need to be taken into consideration as another deduction from your wages plus your National Insurance.

And it is also a way round the minimum wage payment when it is a quite week and can also avoid paying you holiday pay.

Even if a salon owner decides to call you self employed, if all the conditions are there to constitute employment, you are still employed! As such you should be receiving national minimum wage, a written contract of employment, they should pay your tax and NI, etc etc. Also, should you have any problems you can bring a case to Employment Tribunal and the Tribunal can declare you as being in employment and as such able to bring a case against your employer for any shortcomings.

From the basics of what you have said, you would be in employment there. Good things = paid leave, you dont have to worry about overheads,
Bad things = you will only see a limited amount of money, so if the salon does well and takes a lot of money, you dont stand to benefit much.

My opinion is that you should shop around, there are better deals than that out there, perhaps go mobile for a while till the right deal comes up?

I once worked in a salon where the owner said i was self-employed but infact she actually paid me minimum wage (i was on £5 an hour but she still put in the contract that i was self-employed) i think this was 2 get her out of paying my tax n ni from my wage it was pathetic. Be careful if i was you i would look somewhere else, even if you had to provide your own products it would be worth it to have the chance to earn good money instead of working really hard for not much money once you have payed tax and ni.
I am starting out in a salon after being mobile and i am going to pay the owner 20% of my takings a day, and i provide all my own products.

Latest posts

Back