7303 enough to teach a group of disadvantaged kids over 16?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi guys

I was just thinking (as I have been doing a lot of lately!)

If I manage to secure a business premises, then would a 7303 cert be enough for me to teach 16 yr old school leavers the basics of acrylic application (or even just natural nail care - mani's/pedi's that sort of thing) as a social enterprise? Put an emphasis on the fact they would not be qualified techs.

They don't pay for it (would have to show benefits letter - or something else to say they aren't earning), it's just my way of giving a bit back? Say (and I haven't thought this through to the nth degree yet) they come to me one morning a week for 4 weeks, just as an introduction to nails?

They can then decide from there that it is something they would like to pursue (or not) and I could then give them CND and college details if they want to pursue it further.

What do you think?

Any thoughts good or not appreciated :green:

Thanks. xx

Well theoretically you wouldn't need a teaching certificate really as such. In practice you would need a hell of a lot of confidence in your teaching abilities.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you haven't exactly picked an easy group.

I agree jmel. But I do have confidence in myself, my work and my ability to teach to a high standard.

I just thought having a 7303 would help with this and give me some sort of standing. Especially if they want to go on to acrylic application (and I thought, to go on to have an accredited course, so maybe I can do this with paying clients too).

Perhaps I should think about a nominal payment fee so at least they have invested something into it?

Thanks for your input :)

This type of vocational experience is being brought in for 14+ year olds in many Acadamies and senior schools. The basic teaching qualification required is Preparing to teach in the life long learning sector PTLLS which I believe is 7303....plus a wealth of industry experience....I hope!

This type of vocational experience is being brought in for 14+ year olds in many Acadamies and senior schools. The basic teaching qualification required is Preparing to teach in the life long learning sector PTLLS which I believe is 7303....plus a wealth of industry experience....I hope!

Yes - you are absolutely correct. It's being phased in as an option in the 14-19 diploma system. Beauty isn't in place yet. Diploma is a bit of a minefield TBH. Is a higher qualification that PTTLS not needed for 14-16 year olds though?

Yes - you are absolutely correct. It's being phased in as an option in the 14-19 diploma system. Beauty isn't in place yet. Diploma is a bit of a minefield TBH. Is a higher qualification that PTTLS not needed for 14-16 year olds though?
Not to my knowledge, it's the entry requirement, although you would be working towards the diploma (DTTLS) and ultimately certificate (CTTLS).

Hiya :)

Yes. The PTLLS 7303 is for teaching 16+ not anyone under. That's what I took from the local college website anyway. If you want to teach younger you have to take a different route, but I'll ask about this tomorrow when I call them about enrolling. It's gotta be worth having something like this anyway, don't you think? It's a 12 week course and then if I pass, I can devise a course of lesson plans and submit them to The Guild of Beauty Therapists and see if I can get accredited. I know it sounds easy rolling off the tongue, but I know it's going to be hard work, but so worth it in the end I think. :green:

Hiya :)

Yes. The PTLLS 7303 is for teaching 16+ not anyone under. That's what I took from the local college website anyway. If you want to teach younger you have to take a different route, but I'll ask about this tomorrow when I call them about enrolling. It's gotta be worth having something like this anyway, don't you think? It's a 12 week course and then if I pass, I can devise a course of lesson plans and submit them to The Guild of Beauty Therapists and see if I can get accredited. I know it sounds easy rolling off the tongue, but I know it's going to be hard work, but so worth it in the end I think. :green:
Cool, it would be good to get clarification on teaching the 14+ diploma.

let me know how you get on as im about to undertake the 7303 as well and am looking for teaching posts right away as i've been told as soon as you start the course you can start applying. Also am i right in thinking they are going to be bringing beauty into high schools to teach now?

Actually Nix, thinking about it, I'm sure a beauty tech friend of mine is doing something similar for school age kids. I just remembered that! I'll have to phone her and get the low down!

xx

I dont know if the rules have changed in the last 4 years but i opened a hairdressing course in an EBD school for 14+ students, I dont have any teaching qualifications !!! ( obviously you need a CRB check )

At the end of the course they took an ocr examination ( theory ) and I marked their practical, it then had to be forwarded on to an asseser to be assesed, its a very hard job and i stopped after 2 years as it got sooooo busy they needed a full time person in and I couldnt do that, having said that its also very rewarding, i had fantastic pass rates and most of the students who, maybe, wouldnt have bothered with collage actually went on to get themselves on a hairdressing course.:)

Latest posts

Back