A client who never brings money!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachybaby

Reaction score
How do you deal with a client who never brings money, drops it in weeks later or says add it on my next service?

In all the years I have been doing nails, this current client is a pain in my ****! She comes a minimum of 10 minutes late every time and on numerous occasions 'fogets' her money, purse etc. This client is LOADED!

One appointment she asked me would I like to be paid in euro's or Next vouchers? She is yet to pay me for an appointment from last Thursday. The longest I have waited is three weeks.

Would clients like these go into Asda or have a meal then say can I drop the money off later?

Now my clients know that my h2b has a good job and come to my house seeing that we aren't hard up (that's not meant to sound snobby btw), but for this client to say ' oh I'm sure you'll manage without my 25 quid for a few days' is just insulting.

This is a horrible situation and I am not the type who can say, no money no service.

Has anyone else had experience of this and how did you deal with it?

How do you deal with a client who never brings money, drops it in weeks later or says add it on my next service?

In all the years I have been doing nails, this current client is a pain in my ****! She comes a minimum of 10 minutes late every time and on numerous occasions 'fogets' her money, purse etc. This client is LOADED!

One appointment she asked me would I like to be paid in euro's or Next vouchers? She is yet to pay me for an appointment from last Thursday. The longest I have waited is three weeks.

Would clients like these go into Asda or have a meal then say can I drop the money off later?

Now my clients know that my h2b has a good job and come to my house seeing that we aren't hard up (that's not meant to sound snobby btw), but for this client to say ' oh I'm sure you'll manage without my 25 quid for a few days' is just insulting.

This is a horrible situation and I am not the type who can say, no money no service.

Has anyone else had experience of this and how did you deal with it?

I had one client where I used to work and I said that I would come round to her work ro fetch the money from her the next day. She was so embarassed that her colleagues would find out that she got the money to me the same day.

Do you need the business? Could you not drop her, if you cannot confront the situation I think she will feel it is okay to carry on.

Like you say this client would not be able to do that in Asda or a resturant.

I know its hard but i think you will have to start being firm. If she went to a salon or a department store she would have to pay for her service there and then, so why should it be different just because she is coming to your home.

My hairdresser comes to my home and i wouldn't dream of not paying her on the day.

Make it clear on the phone when she books an appointment that she needs to pay on the day, you could say something like your account wants to see what you take per week broken down, then present her with a recipet so it will look official.

You need to get a business head on here or you will have no business.

This client is taking the proverbial LOL.

You need to explain to her that you have other clients and you will not make them wait because she is late - if she is late then maybe you dont have time to varnish her nails or some such thing.

As to the money, this is incredibly rude - most people would be so embarrassed by this - you need to get tough and say to her that if she cant pay then she shouldnt ask for the treatment. Why should you potentially get yourself in debt because of her.

Business head wurzel LOL.

I had one who used to do it. The only way I sorted it was to ask her if she had any money on her before I started. If she said no, then I said I she'd better nip to the cashpoint before I started doing them.

She went that time and remembered her money each time after that.

You need to take control and stop allowing her to do this to you. If she acts offended, it's just bluster and bravado to cover her embarrassment. Stay firm this is your business

Go get her :hug:

I'd just ask her to pay up front, no money no treatment.

How do you drop a client and not risk a slagging off? Everyone knows everyone where I live!
Do you need the business? Could you not drop her, if you cannot confront the situation I think she will feel it is okay to carry on.

I'd feel like saying to her "I had to pay for the products I'm using the day I recieved them so you should do the same for me" Or tell her theres a late payment charge of 2 pounds per day! x x x

If you tell her that you do your banking daily and so expect payment on the day of the appointment...and then she gets hump and starts bad mouthing, she is going to have to tell them why.....cos she didn't pay when she was supposed to.....i would think any of the people she does say that too are going to see your side and not hers....unless of course they are as ignorant as she is.

You don't need to drop her, just get strict with her. Do it gradualy.....before you start, ask her how she will be paying, cash or cheque? Then when she says oh I will pay next time you say "I am afraid I can't do that anymore as it messes up your accounts so I am now asking ALL my clients that pay late to pay on time (showing her she is not special and not the only one you let do this)"

Then with the lateness wait for her next appointment call her and say "I have an appointment straight after you so I am just making sure you are running on time" and if she says "oh well I will be about 10-15 mins late" say "well lets re-appoint it for another day then because I don't want to rush your nails". She will hopefully get the message and stop messing you around.

hth

xx

You don't need to drop her, just get strict with her. Do it gradualy.....before you start, ask her how she will be paying, cash or cheque? Then when she says oh I will pay next time you say "I am afraid I can't do that anymore as it messes up your accounts so I am now asking ALL my clients that pay late to pay on time (showing her she is not special and not the only one you let do this)"

Then with the lateness wait for her next appointment call her and say "I have an appointment straight after you so I am just making sure you are running on time" and if she says "oh well I will be about 10-15 mins late" say "well lets re-appoint it for another day then because I don't want to rush your nails". She will hopefully get the message and stop messing you around.

hth

xx

I would actually book her in 15 minutes earlier than you intend to do her - if she turns up on time then I would make her wait. See how she likes it.

This is why she is loaded! The richest are ALWAYS the stingiest! LOL
She probably does this to everyone that she can get away with it.

Accepting her excuses is a ' dont worry, no big deal if you dont pay me today' statement to her.

Its probably so hard to say it to her, but before every appointment, I'd say jokingly, you have brought your payment today before I start yes? Haha"
Making the statement light hearted but meaningful.. that way, if she says yes, but then it appears she hasnt.. its a good reason to get rid.. no-one wants a lying client. :eek: :smack:

Besides... if she is well off like you say, I find it really odd that she would leave the house without any means of money cards chequebook etc..

I am not loaded, but always have some money on me incase anything happens.. and if she knows she has an appointment also? then she has no excuse in my eyes. :irked:

Hope you get it sorted!! Fiona is right, shes taking the mick because she knows she can get away with it.. be firm and say NO.

xxxxxxxxx:hug:

i have a client who says 'can i pay you later' then she convienently forgots and i have to chase her for it which i find embarrassing, next time she rings im going to say im fully booked cos i cant be doing with the hassle of chasing her for MY money all the time.

hth

xx

I think this is a very good way to deal with it. No one likes confrontation, but if she is like it to you she is probably like it to everyone so her friends won't give it a second thought if she starts saying things about you.

I've had a few clients who are habitually late which then makes me run late for all my ohter clients. the only way to teach them is by turning them away and say you can't do them today as you will then not have time for everyone else. They are never late again! You can do the same with the payment,even say something like my accountant has told me to stop giving credit as it is messing my books up all the time, so if you haven't got the money then i can't do it.

It's never easy but you have got to be brave and stand up for yourself.

Do you tend to see that the way a client is with you they tend to be like that the rest of the time. If she p*sses you off with her money noncence she's probably exactly the same when it somes to the office lottery money or the tea money. Someone that complains to us probably complains about every other little thing in their lives. Therefore if she is complaining about you mentioning about non payment people will not be surprised about her non payment, think about how she does it to them and then be on your side.

If its the other way round and some people are just like her and listen to everything she says they are probably going to behave the same which is a client base your better off without.

I hope that made sence to someone!

Thanks for all your help and I do need to be more firm with her. I like the idea of making a joke out of it before I start.

put a sign up "don't ask for credit, refusal often offends"

might be useful if you spell it correct as well:lol:

Hmmmm I would not be prepared to be paid in Next Vouchers!!! That really is taking the mick - payment in cash (obviously via money or cheque) or not at all.

I think there have been some good suggestions made here - to be honest too, getting stressed over this womans £25 whenever you do her nails is not acceptable to your health - why should your job be made any more stressful than it already is?

Sadly though, she is getting away with it and probably now deems you a pushover - so you've got to get politely 'tough' or get rid.

Being pragmatic is the best way to go - you do not need to mention that she is the only hard-faced madam guilty of not paying - merely that you now have a new system of taking payments (perhaps hint that you have not been getting paid by several clients and it is wearing you down?!) - meaning clients now pay for treatments when they get the actual treatment and could even pay in advance for rebalance etc, if they would like to.... and perhaps even offer her a receipt, to make it seem more official.. :lol:

Loaded or not, there are unwritten rules in this life and one of them is to be respectful. This lady is not being respectful to you.

Good Luck, I know it is easier to give advice than it is to take it

I have this done to me.I know why ,i am far too soft with people and i would guess you are the same.Im not in other parts of my life but in my work im far too nice i use the words ''thats ok'' and ''don't worry about it''far too much when really im thinking the opposite for most people it is ok to say those words because they dont take advantage but say it to some just once and its a green light for them to do as they please for good.

Latest posts

Back