A Polite observation....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great deal to do with the learning curve is a large amount of reading but also going through many things that are not relevant to the subject being studied.
Many of us who have studied hard for our chosen qualifications did so by the use of hours and hours of books and surfing the net etc.

Very rarely would the answers be asked for on the geek site, due to the buzz you get from finding out yourself. The answers are out there, you just have to find them.

If a person is in college or training by other means, they have paid them, (in some cases alot of money) and it is their job to help their students (thats what they get paid for;) unfortunately some students do not like to ask questions face to face but most dont realise probably a couple of others in the class may want the same thing answered:) so if something confuses you.... ask for guidance:)

I dont mind helping out with the offer of a link etc and appreciate the time involved, but we all went through it, some still are xx

For a site where we have (at the time of writing this) 22,847 members, 69,876 threads and 787,936 posts I'd say we all get on extremely well with virtually none of the so called hostility that has been written about.

This site is the largest online salon professionals community forum and to have all of those people under one roof (so to speak) you'd think we'd have mega problems, we don't, what we do have is a well oiled machine (for want of better wording) that serves to educate and help with all of the articles, tutorials and time given freely by those members who care enough to give a damn about our industry!

Well said, There is no hostility, that I am aware of.

We have all asked 'silly' questions - and believe me I asked many.

It is only those who don't at least TRY to do their own research, or wan't others to do their homework that get short shrift.

If you want to succeed you have to really work at it.

My advice to anyone wanting to post a thread is search first and if you still cant find the answer then post.

The range of expertise's there is on this site is massive and where else would you get advice and tutorials for free we are very lucky to have this facility:hug:

Last edited:
I have to agree with most of the posts on this thread, I did have salon geek when I was at college but I did my research and read some threads on here. I learnt loads and my tutor who uses this site too. xxxx

I'm not hostile, (nor do I think anyone else is) BUT ........ i don't like the idea of answering someones questions that has obviously had no training.

I have many videos on Youtube and I get ridiculous questions like (what is the wet stuff called) ... meaning monomer.

I don't think I (nor Salongeek) for that matter wish to give advice, which in actual fact may be helping some backyard wannabe nail technician who has bought product from ebay or careless distributors ....become the next cut throat (cut price) nail technician (without insurance) open up a backyard/garage, or as you guys say (conservatorium) business which may (due to uneducated clients) take my much needed dollars from my back pocket.

People should fill out their profiles honestly (and perhaps a post in introductions) in regard to what you have done, where you are at and what you want to do..... because we are not idiots in here ... and when some newbie asks a ridiculous question (which should have been covered in basic training) ... well...... the answers could look like hostility, when in fact it's the old (sorry, I do not take fools lightly) routine.

I check many posters profiles to see what they are up to, their previous posts and where they are going .... I actually take offense when someones 2nd post is all about "woe is me", you won't teach me without paying.

Some constructive posts would be nice to soften the blow before almost "demanding" advice ..... (you can at least try to fool me first).

Many have been "lurking" and sucking information from salongeek for ages before actually "joining" ..... what do people want?

YEP, looks like a free ride to me............... take, take, take, take ..........

Many geeks are oooh so open with information in here... (and good for them), they think they are doing the right thing (ony for the person they are giving information to, to open up a backyard business 2 streets away) thinking they are gods gift to nails (thanks to advice they have seen in Salongeek while "lurking").

What may seem like hostility is merely protecting our income...... which we have earned through experience, by spending the dollars on training and buying premium products.

SO THERE ....... is that a hostile or validated response? (and that's a polite response to a polite observation).....

Last edited:
I'm not hostile, (nor do I think anyone else is) BUT ........ i don't like the idea of answering someones questions that has obviously had no training.

I have many videos on Youtube and I get ridiculous questions like (what is the wet stuff called) ... meaning monomer.

I don't think I (nor Salongeek) for that matter wish to give advice, which in actual fact may be helping some backyard wannabe nail technician who has bought product from ebay or careless distributors ....become the next cut throat (cut price) nail technician (without insurance) open up a backyard/garage, or as you guys say (conservatorium) business which may (due to uneducated clients) take my much needed dollars from my back pocket.

People should fill out their profiles honestly..... because we are not idiots in here ... and when some newbie asks a ridiculous question (which should have been covered in basic training) ... well...... the answers could look like hostility, when in fact it's the old (sorry, I do not take fools lightly) routine.

What may seem like hostility is merely protecting our income...... which we have earned by spending the dollars on training and buying premium products.

SO THERE ....... is that a hostile or validated response?

I think that sums it up quite nicely mr nail zoo BRAVO for the way you so nicely put that!

(but whats a conservatorium?:green::hug:)

People should fill out their profiles honestly (and perhaps a post in introductions) in regard to what you have done, where you are at and what you want to do..... because we are not idiots in here ... and when some newbie asks a ridiculous question (which should have been covered in basic training) ... well...... the answers could look like hostility, when in fact it's the old (sorry, I do not take fools lightly) routine.

I check many posters profiles to see what they are up to, their previous posts and where they are going .... I actually take offense when someones 2nd post is all about "woe is me", you won't teach me without paying.

Some constructive posts would be nice to soften the blow before almost "demanding" advice ..... (you can at least try to fool me first).

Many have been "lurking" and sucking information from salongeek for ages before actually "joining" ..... what do people want?

YEP, looks like a free ride to me............... take, take, take, take ..........

Many geeks are oooh so open with information in here... (and good for them), they think they are doing the right thing (ony for the person they are giving information to, to open up a backyard business 2 streets away) thinking they are gods gift to nails (thanks to advice they have seen in Salongeek while "lurking").

What may seem like hostility is merely protecting our income...... which we have earned through experience, by spending the dollars on training and buying premium products.

SO THERE ....... is that a hostile or validated response? (and that's a polite response to a polite observation).....
Well said, and this is coming from someone who's very first question was a STOOPID one. I have since learnt my mistakes.
Nothing feels as good as learning yourself, even if you do sometimes need a nudge in the right direction.
Now I just gotta get me a conservatorium... :lol: :hug: x

<<<<<<<<<<clapping franticallly>>>>>>>> well said Carl.

very well said :hug::biggrin:

Hello & welcome!

This site's sometimes bitchy, sometimes not - I think It does depend on you and how you are reading things but I also think people do tend to jump on the band wagon on a bitch session - Come on, alot of ladies (& men!) here!!
Even with the constructive replies posted here that make total sense - have come across bitchy so what the frig??

Only thing I really do get annoyed about is the common saying "well if you just did a search you would find it!" which some guys here have already mentioned.

Well, like it was said before - we were all new once!

And I remembered when I was searching for information about which course I should do - IT WAS A NIGHTMARE!

I spent weeks trying to read posts & figure out all the info I needed - there was either TOO MUCH info or I found it CONFUSING.

I'm sure alot of aspiring tech's have found this - hence them asking a question. So I do say, please try and reply to these guys posts with a bit more gusto, I think some people don't want to post again if they haven't got that many replies the first time round or if they got pwned! lol

xx

maybe some of them dont realize that just becuase we're newbies to the site, that doesnt necessarily mean we're newbies to the industry!!!! ;)

maybe some of them dont realize that just becuase we're newbies to the site, that doesnt necessarily mean we're newbies to the industry!!!! ;)

That is what the profiles are for - if you dont tell us in your profile then how are we to know!

hiya
i think this site is great .
i think that some posts can seem a tad harsh but it is the real world and if you are looking for advice sometimes you want the real truth not just sugar coated versions, also without knowing the poster and just reading the words most people have diffrent takes on it because if someone was talking to you the tone of voice and expressions can soften words or make them harsher .
so all in all i dont think that offence should be taken as everyone is here for a reason , we all (hopefully) learn from our mistakes and if you do think someting is a bit blunt or abrupt then just remember its only words and help and advice can be good and sometimes its not what you want to hear so in reallity ya gotta take the rough with the smooth !
hope you get what i mean cant always articulate my thoughts into wordsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx

Latest posts

Back