A question for all you masseuse's....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim@Talontastic

Reaction score
Sorry if I've spelt that wrong but I just wondered if someone could advise me on a few massage issues. I've tried searching but I can't find the answers I need...

Is massage a popular treatment?
I am thinking of doing a massage course in September and I wondered if it was a popular treatment.

Are there diffarent brands of products?
I use OPInail products which I think are fab and if I do go on the course I would like to use an equally equivalent product.

What are the start up costs?
I realise that there aren't many products required but are they expensive? What additional products/equiptment are needed.

Advertising?
I will be working from home as I do with nails but I don't want weirdos ringing up for massage's.

Pre-Course Reading
Are there any book's that I could read before going on the course to improve my knowledge.

Thank you for taking the time to read this all answers will be apreciated.
Kim

Where I live massage is very popular - particulalry back, neck and shoulders
Yes - each product house has its own massageoil - i use dermalogica which has its own oils. But you can alos buy pre blended aromatherapy massage oils (try ellisions)
Massage oil, a couch, some people like hot mitts to remove oilas not oil clients like it left on, couch roll.
Advertising?
Personally I would never advertise myself as a massuse where i live this is what the prosititues are called who offer sauna and massage! Make sure you have someone else in the house with you. Try advertising nails and massage toghther. Always use your qualiflication (shows you are serious) and use words such as stress-relieving, time out, relaxing not ''naked massage by fit young lady'' hehe!

Pre-Course Reading
There are sooooo many books out there! I personally don use books but i'm sure a helpful little geek will be along with the right one!

It's the most popular treatment I do!

Well, that depends. If you are just doing a massage course rather than an aromatherapy course, then you can buy base oils from many places. Personally I would get the base oils from a reputable aromatherapy supplier as you know then that the oil will be good quality. Try New Directions UK. They are an Australian company and have started up here relatively recently, but they are reputable and very reasonably priced.

I assume you have a treatment couch. Other than that: towels, oil, couch roll, nice relaxing CD.

Advertising?
Advertise yourself as a massage therapist, rather than a masseuse, and you will get a lot fewer weirdos phoning you! Also, if you work from home, try and make sure there is someone else in the house if you have a new client. If you do get someone dodgy phone up, just be blunt with them without being crude, and never apologise to them for not providing the 'service' they require! If you are not sure about them, turn them away. It's better safe than sorry.

Pre-Course Reading
So many......I'll have a think about that. But it really depends on the type of course you want to do.

I'd say it's definitely a worthwhile qualification to do. There's always going to be a need for massage therapists so you'll always have work!

hi all,
im a beauty therapist but i would never advertise i do massage ever again. i tell regular clients that i do it but i would never advertise it again. i used to get on average 10 wierdos ring per day, its now down to about 5 per week. i was shocked when my advert first came out by the amount off strange calls i was getting. my phone still rings at about 3.30 am occasionally. mostly at weekends.

hi all,
im a beauty therapist but i would never advertise i do massage ever again. i tell regular clients that i do it but i would never advertise it again. i used to get on average 10 wierdos ring per day, its now down to about 5 per week. i was shocked when my advert first came out by the amount off strange calls i was getting. my phone still rings at about 3.30 am occasionally. mostly at weekends.

It must be something about Norfolk then! :) I've never had that many. I've been doing massage for over ten years and I've probably had about a dozen dodgy phone calls in all that time.

Tisserand are one of the best brands of oils IMO.I personally find their products fantastic.Eve Taylor are also fabulous,quality 2nd to none.

Costs of setting up,not expensive really,Good quality towels,couch,couch cover,music,candles and of course your oils which for good quality ones are not cheap.

Advertising,well...working from home I personally wouldn't work on males and I would state this in your advertising.Careful of where you advertise and of course your wording.

Massage is extremely popular especially if you're good at it.

Try Amazon they have stacks of excellent books on massage.
Amazon.co.uk: The Easy Massage Workbook: A Complete Guide to Massage Techniques: Books: Clare Harris

Its very popular but not everyones any good at it,especially at first.and especially if you dont like doing it.It can be hard work. Pick your training wisely and make sure it includes in depth anatomy and physiology.
I wouldnt advertise in the local papers and i would definately start off only doing women eventually you can then get men by recommendation if you want to. Men are often more regular customers for massage.

massage is very popular! the start up costs are as cheap or expensive as you want them to be, but better quality massage medium and towels etc will definately yield better results. Tisserand is lovely for aromatherapy based products, and the aromas will certainly add a more appealing nature to the client if they so wish these, otherwise a decent quality(not crude) massage oil/cream is desirable.

maybe you could do a special offer for massage to your existing clients, and hopefully they will recommend a friend, as word of mouth is best. there are many busy therapists who do not advertise through papers etc. A massage therapist( as already suggested) is a nice term, much nicer than masseuse. HTHs:)

Your most expensive item will be your couch.Massage couches are usually wider than beauty couches and get one right for your height to save your back.Im very short and had one custom made at not much extra cost.

i love doing massage, its relaxing for you to, its not too expensive to buy your items and the course.
I do beauty so had my couch already, but my course was £300 pounds, at college, and i have made that back lots and lots of times.

OOO thank you so much for all your help. I'm definatly going to do it in September.
As for the advertising massage therapist sounds so much more professional and I will probably ask my mum to come round when I'm doing clients for the first few times.
Now I'm on a mission to find some fab books so I can be swatting up. The course is for a full year and a friend did it a few years ago and dropped out because there was too much theory. But thats the bit I like when I'm learning new things

Where I work there is a holisitc therapist who cannot take any further clients and so I am going to college in september to take a massage course. The lady at work has given me a book called Massage and Aromatherapy (NVQ level 3) by Lyn Goldberg.

Haven't read much of it yet, but what I have read seems good. Some very good diagrams too.

I'm so excited to read this thread- I am doing a massage course this weekend! I wasn't sure whether this would be a popular choice, but I had a massage treatment just after Christmas and I completely caught the bug. I can't wait for my course now!

Claire, I don't wish to sound harsh here, but 2 days for a massage course is nowhere near enough, unless of course you have previous holistic A&P experience and if you have then ok.

There is so much A&P to learn with massage and no amount of untold damage could be caused by an inadequately trained person.

OOo Joe we can keep each other going while we're learning and can compare notes. After reading all the positive things on this thread I'm so excited.

Absolutely Kim, would love to do that. A learning buddy.

Latest posts

Back