A reminder of the Geek commandments!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
19 - Though shall not give pseudo-professional advice
In the forums where you are not a professional (i.e. the Hair Geek forum if you are not a professional hair messer) you may not give advice. This is a forum for professionals and the only way to keep it that way is to make sure that you are very careful in your comments that you make in forums where you hold no qualifications. It is fine to chime in with opinion as long as it does not lead readers to construe that the information you have given is a professional recommendation. On that note, please do NOT recommend OTC (Over the counter) products and services. These are not professional.

I just wanted to remind everyone of this. There is an awful lot of advice being given on the Skin Geek forum particularly lately which certainly does NOT comply.

Here here.

I think another big problem is people using the forum for personal skin care advise. Any professional will know that although we can all try our best to advise over the internet (as I have been guilty of trying to do) that it undermines our own knowledge that a consultation where we can see and feel the skin and also discuss the clients history in depth is the only way to really analyse the skin.

Maybe personal requests for skin care home care advise should be banned or only given the response "please see a skin care professional as any diagnosis over the internet will be inaccurate and may make your skin worse". Or at the least confined to chit chat threads!

I know we are all just trying to help but I would prefer to see more professional threads discussing techniques that we have found invaluable within our professional practices, rather than free online consultations! :hug:

You Tell Em Girl!

Here here. I totally agree with you. Well said.

Elaine xxxxx:hug::hug:

Hear hear!!! well said...just wanted t know what a hair messer was tee hee :hug:

Oh god i'm so stupid - was that on purpose?

Last edited:
It's also very frustrating to see people on here suggesting buying professional equipment, that is not intended for the purpose, from Argos etc... :confused:

It's also very frustrating to see people on here suggesting buying professional equipment, that is not intended for the purpose, from Argos etc... :confused:
I have witnessed this aswell...i then become "zippy from rainbow "....or rather Rich zips my mouth up as i shout profanities at the computer....:eek::smack::lol:

I have witnessed this aswell...i then become "zippy from rainbow "....or rather Rich zips my mouth up as i shout profanities at the computer....:eek::smack::lol:

:lol::lol:I do that all the time. My poor PC, it cops all the abuse.

I saw something on the TV the other night that made me understand a bit more about this stuff.

Maybe a skin geek can correct me if i get this wrong.

The active ingredients can in some circumstances cause irritations.... so over the counter products have some but very little of these active ingredients in. This is cos they don't want lots of people complaining of skin irritations left right and centre. Because of this the over the counter products are far less effective.

Now, the professional products have a high amount of these active ingredients in....making then stronger and far more effective. But because they are brought in a professional salon they would be recommended for your skin type by the professional skin therapist and so reactions and irritations are limited and can be monitored.

I thought this was all very interesting and gave ME a bit more understanding in why professional products should only be sold and recommended by professionals and that over the counter products will never have the same benefits.

I saw something on the TV the other night that made me understand a bit more about this stuff.

Maybe a skin geek can correct me if i get this wrong.

The active ingredients can in some circumstances cause irritations.... so over the counter products have some but very little of these active ingredients in. This is cos they don't want lots of people complaining of skin irritations left right and centre. Because of this the over the counter products are far less effective.

Now, the professional products have a high amount of these active ingredients in....making then stronger and far more effective. But because they are brought in a professional salon they would be recommended for your skin type by the professional skin therapist and so reactions and irritations are limited and can be monitored.

I thought this was all very interesting and gave ME a bit more understanding in why professional products should only be sold and recommended by professionals and that over the counter products will never have the same benefits.

I would say this is definately the case when the professional is a dermatologist, but not your average beauty therapist.Any creams that are used on the general public can only be a certain strength by law otherwise they start to come under medicine and have to be licensed.

I would say this is definately the case when the professional is a dermatologist, but not your average beauty therapist.Any creams that are used on the general public can only be a certain strength by law otherwise they start to come under medicine and have to be licensed.

I agree with Bagpuss but yes I do see your point Gillian, to some extent you may be right, but some companies do not always make it known how effective their products really are as they do not want them to have to be classified as pharmaceutical grade. Think of Glycolic products for example they definitely and visably change the texture of the skin but using too strong a formulation left on the skin for too long and not neutralised can lead to burns and anti-oxidant products have also been shown to have a real effect on the structure of the skin. :hug:

Latest posts

Back