Absolutely disgusted at a college!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 WISHES

Reaction score
I had a girl start today on work experience for beauty. When I asked her about college she told me that because the college are behind they have only had FIVE HOURS on l and p and will be having the same for gel and silk and they wont be coming back to it.....theres more, she hasnt been shown how to blend a tip, they are literally sticking it straight on no cutting away they well nothing. They havnt been shown how to do a rebalance (infils) and have been told they havnt got time for it, THEY HAVE BEEN SHOWN NOOOOOO PREP what so ever.So when i asked her from start to finish how tey were doing it this is what she said:
spray hands with sanitizer
File free edge
apply bonder
stick tip on (no cutting of the well)
NO BLENDING
straight to zone 2 (they said there was no need to do zone 1 because there is a tip there)
zone 3

to file and finish just use a buffing block then top coat, no oil nothing.

I felt so sorry for the girl how on earth is she ment to do beautifull nails like this when she no's no better. I am sorry for going on but I am disgusted......its not just me is it? I am seriously thinking of making a complaint to the college about it would that be doing the right thing? x:mad::mad::mad:

Hmmm are you sure this girl is being totally honest here?I mean how could you only put product on zone two and leave zone one out??there would be a very obvious dip.Everything you say sounds awful about the whole course in nails
I would perhaps ring the college and speak to the head of beauty department before getting too upset hun.
If it turns out the girl is telling the truth I think perhaps the matters should be taken further really as this is quite obviously incorrect teaching.:hug:

yes I no she is being honest because she is a really keen learner and wanted to know everything and asked if I had books on anything that she could look at and when I was showing her other things today (things she should have already learnt i.e waxing) she was asking me why I was doing them and they were things that really needed doing. It seems really clear that the college had done things like this throughout her whole 2 years there. She even told me that last year when they were doing there assesment a girl did a bikini wax ripped off the skin and bruised the poor client and this girl still passed it and the tutor said that it happens sometimes.......SHOCKING

If this is true coming from your work experience girly it is so bad.
when it comes to sitting her exams and being assessed she is going to show what she has been taught and if she has been taught in a incorrect lazy way then how is she ever going to pass?! crazy.
If she has only been on the course for 6 months then i would say maybe she still has alot to learn and maybe she is telling you what she has learnt to date, but 2 years flippin eck.
I would complain for sure, this poor girl is going to branch out when or if she qualifies and mistakes will be made and it wont be blamed on the college thats for sure!
faye
xx

I think you should definately ring the college,speak to the tutor who arranged the placement and express your concerns.This is obviously something to be addressed.What's the general college feedback?College departments are regularly assessed as are the tutors so why on earth hasn't this been picked up?

Like I said I would call and speak to someone in charge of the beauty department.

I have to say I wouldn't be surprised if this story from the trainee is completely true. I hear it so many times.

I suggest you will make the most impact and a chance of changing the situation if you write a letter about your complete shock at the level of training, with particular mention of the time allocation, and copy it in to each of the following:
Course tutor
Head of Department
College Principal
Beauty section of the Awarding Body (e.g. City & Guilds, VTCT etc) for that college
Tiffany Tarrant at Habia

This really isn't too much. The Standards are written in order that when students qualify they are 'job ready'. Habia and the Awarding Bodies listen to employers as they are who their 'products' are aimed at.

This happens far too much but nothing will be done about it if it just gets accepted. Colleges taking these short cuts must change their methods. Funding is tough and it's often all about targets etc but how can industry standards improve when this is common.

It will only take 1 letter and a few stamps or a bit of email address research.

TBH it wouldn't surprise me, the majority of it sounds all too familiar......the only instruction I have had in terms of tip blending has been from this site and Marian's book. .I have 2 weeks left of my course and there is no way on this earth that I am anywhere near ready for the "real world" of nails......I have learnt far more from this site.

That's more practice than what I got at my college.
My instructor did one NNO and one sculpture with L&P, then one silk.
The process took maybe an hour or so, and she never showed me anything again. I didn't even learn gels.

I had to youtube my way around everything.

I am sorry to say the training i am hearing about is so bad.
How can anyone go and work on clients with so little training?:irked:

I totally agree with Marian....this is the way MANY colleges work. They offer a basic..rather shabby and poor education. Then they leave you all alone to make your way in the world.
I don't know the answer to the problem...just wish I worked in a college tbh x

Just to add.....I don't cut the well of a tip...unless i have too....and the tips i use don't require blending....

She may well just be describing "badly" a method of application that is just different to yours...??

I was very happy with my college and I feel it is important to stress not all colleges are the same.:green:
I had 2 excellent tutors for my level 2 and 3 and an excellent tutor for my massage training,my nails tutor wasn't very good I have to say however she did teach a damned sight better than posts have mentioned on here.

I think it's really sad that some colleges are so rubbish.I dont understand how they get away with it tbh.I think it's important to do the research before enrolling in any college,like we do for schools before sending our children.

There are good and bad,like anything.I consider myself very lucky.

Hope you do speak up for the student though,if nothing is said standards cant/wont improve.:hug:

I was very happy with my college and I feel it is important to stress not all colleges are the same.:green:
I had 2 excellent tutors for my level 2 and 3 and an excellent tutor for my massage training,my nails tutor wasn't very good I have to say however she did teach a damned sight better than posts have mentioned on here.

I think it's really sad that some colleges are so rubbish.I dont understand how they get away with it tbh.I think it's important to do the research before enrolling in any college,like we do for schools before sending our children.

There are good and bad,like anything.I consider myself very lucky.

Hope you do speak up for the student though,if nothing is said standards cant/wont improve.:hug:

Yes good point. My mani/pedi tutor was amazing and nail art was a breeze. Enhancements were a total nightmare tbh with my college x

Just to add.....I don't cut the well of a tip...unless i have too....and the tips i use don't require blending....

She may well just be describing "badly" a method of application that is just different to yours...??
What tips do you use Angie? I was taught to cut the wells out by none less than Sassy Hassy who used to be a mod on here.She did say that some people just file them out which was how I was taught on all my other courses however I found it quicker to cut out then blend into the nail.x

I just had a girl do a weeks work experience in my salon.
She said she learned more about waxing after spending half an hour with me, than she had at college.
Also she is doing her level 3 so electrical equipment and stuff. She is supposed to be learning about microdermabrasion but they are not sure if they will have time to do it but they will still get signed off for it-it's quite shocking really but it doesn't surprise me.

From my experience at learning nails in college it doesnt shock me either. My level two class tutor was good but the level 3 was dire. She knew less than I did, I dont mean to sound pretentious but I would ask a question and she would say I dont know. Any good teacher wouldve said but I will find out.

The most shocking thing she ever said as far as I was concerned was when she did a demo on gel nails and said its pointless me showing you how to do these because they are crap but I have to :eek: :eek:

It wasn't so bad for me because I wasnt new to nails and I was doing my CND conversion classes at the same time, but none of the other students had my background and went away at the end of the course having had substandard education.

anne xx

I think what makes it worse, is that so many people outside of the industry think that a collage earned NVQ is a better qual then an industry based one.
Unfortunatly the call centers are full of girls who have trained to NVQ standard who then find they can't make a living at it. Please do as Marian says, if no one complains, no changes will be made and we will contiue to have clueless people wasting their time on subjects they will never be fit to work with.

Thing is Susie, I did complain and never heard anything and I complained to Head of Department and when I got nowhere with her I went to the college complaints department and got nowhere with them either. I simply will never attend a course at that college again.

anne xx

Thing is Susie, I did complain and never heard anything and I complained to Head of Department and when I got nowhere with her I went to the college complaints department and got nowhere with them either. I simply will never attend a course at that college again.

anne xx

Me too many years ago. no reply..no apology for wasting my time and money.
You live and learn I guess.

I just had a girl do a weeks work experience in my salon.
She said she learned more about waxing after spending half an hour with me, than she had at college.
Also she is doing her level 3 so electrical equipment and stuff. She is supposed to be learning about microdermabrasion but they are not sure if they will have time to do it but they will still get signed off for it-it's quite shocking really but it doesn't surprise me.

I think this is disgusting that someone can be signed off for something that they haven't done.I think people should complain,here is a link I have found
British Accreditation Council

Incidently it's not just about bad college training,I have had atrocious short course training as well.Its about the trainers themselves.If we dont complain through the correct channels things will continue.

Latest posts

Back