Accident with a knife & my nail! Help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterfly :)

Reaction score
i was cutting some veg this evening and i really dont know how it happened but i managed to slice a triangle chunk from my free edge right in the centre too. it bled loads before it dried out :(
i am almost 1000 miles away from my products until saturday & would have tried fixing it with a fibreglass wrap if i could.
Anyone got any idea's on what i can do now. shall i pay for it to be fixed by someone else or just leave it to grow out...in some shock still,not thinking very well lol. i thought i could do the domestic stuff, but it messes with the day job obviously lol
oh iv got it wrapped in a bandage & i only had savlon so i put a bit on it.

hiya, personally now it had dried i would leave it open and keep it clean and dry to allow it to completly heal, if you need to wash up then wear rubber gloves but not for long or the sweaty gloves will hinder repair and could cause bacteria growth.. im not sure what do do about the nail tho so for me i would let it grow out but others may have an alternative idea.. sorry i cant be of more help.

thanx for that, im going to keep it covered for the night so i dont knock it around. well i'm lucky enough to have nails that grow very quickly in this case so think i may see how that go's. think il treat myself to a manicure to say sorry to my poor nail lol

loads of views showing up but no one seems to want to add any other advice.... would much appreciate any other idea's or opinions on this??? thanx

I have had clients come to me with tea bags on when they have broken nails. Idk know what they use to keep them on tho... No help :(

Ouch sounds painful. I would do what the op have said and keep it dry for a few days to let it heel. I wouldn't try to repair it just yet. Hope it heels quickly! X

Hi, I think I would just grow it out but that's because I've had some truely aweful people do my nails so I wouldn't want to go and get someone else to fix it if I didn't know they were good because I recon it's going to hurt. You just need to let it mend I'm affraid, maybe give veg cutting duty to someone else as well.

I have had clients come to me with tea bags on when they have broken nails. Idk know what they use to keep them on tho... No help :(

I read the teabag thing on the internet the other day, I don't know how I stubbled across it, I think the idea is that the tea bag goes on as if it is silk/fiberglass but it's just stuck in place with nail glue. Never tried it though so I can't be certain.

I'd leave it to heal before whacking a nail or product over the top. You need to be be able to see the wound to ensure it's not getting infected.

Ouch!! Def ask someone to help out with the cooking and milk it like a man would x

im intrigued about the teabag thing, will have a look out of interest.
it was very painful last night but sleep must have helped abit, slightly worried as i strangely had a dream and thought my finger had fallen off lol how silly. well time to have a look at it and let it dry out & leave it to heal itself then. will stay away from other techs just in case they hurt my poor nail more. thank you ladies for your replies. im not panicking as much now :lol:
oh and i have sympathy from the hubby for now so cooking duties are his for a while (hopefully) hehe

thought id leave an update, i allowed the nail to grow out with regular filing of what was left at either side of my nail. also alot of cuticle oil all over the nail really eased the pain quickly and helped it to heal nicely. took 2-3 weeks thankfully :)

Good to hear it healed well.
I was curious about this post, as I would have kept it covered for as long as possible.
I was told by a nurse that it is better to keep wounds covered and moist, so they heal from inside, not to let a wound dry out and scab over.

Well, I missed my nail but I sure carved a big flap into the soft end of my middle finger left hand 2 days ago ... knife (actually a Chinese cleaver - Thanks A!) - slipped on a carrot !! Bled like a son-of -a-B****!! But I wrapped and bound it tightly over night and in two days it has knitted well together (should really have been stitched but couldn't be bothered) and surprisingly not painful ... missed my nail though!! :lol:

I just read about this in nails magazine it's used like silk or fiberglass....

I had kept it covered for a few days as it kept bleeding and i used lots of cuticle oil to keep it moist and it really helped with the pain...unbelievably sore until it was applied each time. thankful to who ever created the stuff lol. i would have tried a wrap but i was in the uk visiting family and my products were back in germany where i was living at the time. I have a poor client tomorrow who has a split just below the cuticle(as described) that i will be using a silk wrap for. funny how i just thought of this and then i get someone needing their nail fixing lol. I really feel for everyone who does damage to their nails, don't know if its just me but it makes you panic that you might lose your nail...then you calm down and think its ok i can fix this haha. :)

Latest posts

Back