Acetone Boiling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sazzanne

Reaction score
I heard that if you used acetone warm it works better. So i thought as i needed to soak mine off this evening i'd try it. Used a contaner to put my tray in with hot water around it. And my acetone started boiling lol..oops. its working though.:)

Just wanted to share it with you.

Sarah xx

yer you can buy soak off bowls which you plug in, that heat the acetone.
like a little whirl pool!
definately cuts the time down! xx

Boiling? :eek:

Are you sure?

I wouldn't have thought it would boil if just surrounded with hot water? I would have thought it needed a proper heat source in order for it to boil.

well it was bubbling lol.... its ace..bit warm though....xx

Boiling??:eek::eek:
Warming is good but boiling.....hmmmm

Last edited:
cool...i never knew that. Explaines alot, it was freshly boiled water....xx

this feels like one of those 'don't try this at home' things
A few of points for you:Scared:
It would be very easy to melt the acrylic rather than dissolve it and the burns to your natural nails and the skin underneath could cause permanent damage.
Also you run the risk of inhaling the acetone vapor and gas which I think could be classed as solvent abuse.
Last point please remember to never heat your acetone in the microwave, it is likely to explode.
But yes warming the acetone weather thats by surrounding it with hot water or by wrapping the nails in soaked cotton wool, then tinfoil and then resting them on or wrapping them in a heat pad does speed up the removal process quiet nicely:lol:

It's at times like this I miss Gigi....or Marion:lol:
Sam....you here??:)

what you guys are talking about is a double boiler effect acetone in the top bowl and hot water in the second bowl by placing the acetone over the hot water it will heat the acetone and speed the reaction time of removing product

Heating is good.
Boiling isn't.
You ever read that book by that guy...whathisname?? Ah Doug Schoon.
He knows about these type of things and has a really cool book about product chemistry etc.
It's good I swear.

I just happen to have dipped in!

Yes it WAS boiling! DO NOT boil acetone!!!!

There will be a great deal of acetone vapours in the atmosphere that should not be inhaled PLUS the VAPOURS are flammable!!!!

Good grief!!!! You MUST know what you are dealing with before you use it. Every professional should know the safe use of acetone (and everything else for that matter.

It is an efficient method to put a bowl of acetone in a WARM (NOT HOT) bowl of water to speed up removal. This bowl must be covered at all times with a towel to contain any vapours.

I hardly ever use capitals when writing as it appears to be shouting. However, this thread is shocking! Know your craft. Do you really want to be inhaling vast quantities of acetone. Maybe you should read some serious reports about the effects!!

Blimey! You learn something new everyday! I didn't realise acetone had such a low boiling point, all the more reason to be extra careful.

I use the tin foil method to be sure of safety. It doesn't require any additional heat as such as the clients own body heat warms the acetone.

I cant imagine warming my acetone with freshly boiled water, as your heating a relatively small amount of acetone the implications make me shudder both in terms of safety and discomfort. :eek:

I fill my "Quick Soak Bowl" with hot tap water. This is more than warm enough to heat my acetone.

I just want to reinforce the safety aspect of this issue. It appears that some professionals don't seem to take working with solvents very seriously!

"Breathing moderate- to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time, however, can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation; headaches; light-headedness; confusion; increased pulse rate; effects on blood; nausea; vomiting; unconsciousness and possibly coma; and shortening of the menstrual cycle in women."

This is a extract from a toxicology information website. A quantity of boiling acetone right under your nose is a high level!

"Emergency Overview
--------------------------
DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. VAPOR MAY CAUSE
FLASH FIRE. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION
TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS
SYSTEM."

This is an extract from the MSDS for acetone. The tiniest spark WILL cause a flash fire.

Used carefully acetone is no danger to health or safety. Neither is water.......except you can drown in it!

very true...

I have wearable soak off thingies and don't heat it more... I'm too scared of the vapors lol. (chemical studies left me scared of so many things)

I cant imagine warming my acetone with freshly boiled water, as your heating a relatively small amount of acetone the implications make me shudder both in terms of safety and discomfort. :eek:

I dont think ill be going there .lol.Dont like the sound of that.xx

Terrifying really :irked:

Unfortunately, a lot of training providers (not the good ones lol) dont fill you in on any of this,

which means there are a lot of new/under-trained techs out there un-knowingly doing themselves (& others) harm.

I remember when I undertook my first nail-training/education :rolleyes:, the only warning about acetone was simply: Dont throw it down the sink or you'll destroy your pipes!
& that was all...sigh.

I think its a positive thing that this subject has been highlighted. :)

ps: Judy, I love the Doug Schoon book too, the man is a mine of knowledge :)

at my nail school we'd been advised not to use Acetone as much, but the acrylic remover (lol, like 99% of Acetone :p) and have it a bit warm. just a bit.

still when I went to buy some at the drugstore, the guy refused to sell me as if I were to throw some in my bf's eyes or something.

but see, in england you seem to have a real education process in nails/beauty, and here it's far from being the case. hopefully one day we'll benefit of what you've achieved!

Latest posts

Back