Acrylic Nail Brushes...exactly how do you care for them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how do you care for your brush

• clean with monomer store covered

Votes: 39 97.5%
  • clean with monomer clip to table light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why clean it? I'm perfect!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wash it and disinfect it

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
I guess it's an annual thing, our state inspector has to ask if we disinfect our nail brushes:mad: . Now, he knows how to take care of a nail brush, in fact he has quickly become an expert on it, and I have to give him credit for taking the time to understand enough about our industry to make sure he is doing his job. Here's the catch, our silly state law says that we have to wash all implements used for cosmetic applications with soap and water then be disinfected by immersion in a hospital grade disinfectant for at least 10 minutes. I hope you all can see the problem with this.

Here's my dilemma, he would like for me to help him write a satisfactory method of care for the acrylic nail brush. It must include how the brush is cleaned and stored. I need to do a little info gathering on all possible methods, I have manufacturer's directions from Creative Nail, Ez Flow and OPI, but I would like to have as much information as possible, on how you care for and store your brushes so that I may write a comprehensive and detailed plan and we don't go through this again next year.

Our inspector is doing everything he can, he's even taken the time to learn about MMA and proper disinfection procedures for our industry. He actually understands the difference between adhesive and glue. (he occasionally lurks about this site) He cares about what he's doing, and is working with us to get this issue taken care of AGAIN. So any help you can send my way would be great...Doug Schoon and the National Manufacturing Council are probably tired of hearing from me, so I thought I'd try it on my own this time (I have a legislator in my corner who will help me with the legal wording, so hopefully they will realize I mean what I say when I tell them you don't have to disinfect a nail brush!!!:rolleyes: )

Thanks in advance for all your help

I always clean "Gladys - MarkII" in Retention+ monomer and cover her up.......specially as I have a new brush now!...."Gladys Mark I" had a severe case of alopecia....(much to Marco Benito's and Glorsclaws' amusement I should add!) :green:

I always use monomer (retention+ or moxie - depends on the brush) and store in brush case.

Monomer and store in box lying down :)

Hiya,

Firstly, must say your inspector sounds a great guy to have in your corner!

Well, I have a couple of brushes that I use for differnt things...

All brushes used for l&p get rinsed in clean monomer, bristles presssed out between clean tissue... laid to rest in its 'worm coffin' (Creative case).

For gel, a separate brush which I cleanse before and after use, with Scrubfresh an Isoprpyl based cleanser. This brush is also stored in a case.

Nail art brushes... these are washed in soap & warm water... stored on a brush stand, bursted with Chlori-spray (Chlorhexidine gluconate in alcohol) as I disnfect my files.

My manicure (dust brush) is a semi-hard plastic bristle brush, which is washed in bacterial soap and hot water... periodically changed, and also gets bursts of Chlori-spray when disinfecting files.
I work from home and dont have that many clients but, if I did I would have alternating dust brushes to wash & use!

Hth a bit xx

.... & Jacky .... Gladys mk1 was a real punky/funky looking brush ... prob a bit too rellious for the job in hand though :wink2:

Monomer and store in its lid!!!

Amanda

I always clean "Sasha" in clean monomer and store in its "worm coffin".

I always clean Basil (get it? lol) in fresh monomer and store horizontally wrapped in tissue....but he too has alopecia(sp?) and has neon colours coming out of him.... :(
I dont know what I have done to cause this? If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful before I go and buy basil mk2 as I dont want to be on Mk10 by the end of the year! lol x

Foxy is cleaned in monomer and pressed between tissue and then lai to rest in her coffin.

Dust brushes are washed in soap and water and chlorisprayed. Nail art brushes are washed in soap and water and stored in a tissue lined tin.

sounds like Basil has got contaminated Sherrie maybe he needs to be put to rest before he infects the rest of his friends. if you want we can have a dual funeral i have Foxy Mk1 to lay to rest as well. I am making sure i look after foxy mk2 much better.
x

lmao!! ok but i need to get mk 2 first!
trouble is I dont know what I did wrong this time? dont want to do the same again....

Isobel is cleaned in monomer, pressed between tissue and sleeps in her holder

Donna.

P.S she is called Isobel after my friend who is as daft as a brush.

cleaned in monomer stored with its lid on, in its little black coffin

I also clean 'Harry' in monomer and store in my creative brush box.

pmsl at all your brushes' names! You're all crazy I tell you!

I am gonna sound so think, i was told to clean my brush in acitone. Now monomor is the liquid in L&P isn't it? so I've been told wrong?

C*:confused:

Lily said:
Monomer and store in its lid!!!

Amanda

im the same

i clean my #508 brush in Q monomer drain off the excess on to kitchen roll/ table towel and roll my brush back to its point then i put its wee pinkio cover back on and leave it stood up (bristles down) in my roll of forms.... if i traveling with it i leave it in the cover and flat in my case :)

cos i keep my brush nice and clean... i dont generally get cured product in it but if that was to happen id clean my brush in dissolve (brush cleaner) and the wipe it dry making sure all the cured product was out using kitchen roll etc... then clean it in fresh Q mon again.. chuck that Q mon away (so as not to contaminate) and recover my brush til next time i use it

i also never ever touch the bristles of my brush with my fingers as i dont want to contaminate it with the oils on my skin etc...

Jess
xox

clairep10 said:
I am gonna sound so think, i was told to clean my brush in acitone. Now monomor is the liquid in L&P isn't it? so I've been told wrong?

C*:confused:

Acetone will dry your brush out
always clean your brush in Monomerand if you have cure product clean it in a brush cleaner like EzFlow Dissolve
Dissolve a is NON-Acetone Product it is Methyl Ethyl Ketone based product that removes acrylic from the brush
has conditioners to extend the life of the brush
and it will nt contanminate

hth

Jess
xox

Sparklepink said:
Acetone will dry your brush out
always clean your brush in Monomerand if you have cure product clean it in a brush cleaner like EzFlow Dissolve
Dissolve a is NON-Acetone Product it is Methyl Ethyl Ketone based product that removes acrylic from the brush
has conditioners to extend the life of the brush
and it will nt contanminate

hth

Jess
xox
Thanks, God not fair to be told stuff thats so blatantly wrong. Hey ho live and learn.
C*

Jeni, You're state inspector sounds like ours!!

I clean my brush in monomer and pop the cover back on and into my brush box it goes. Gel brushes get a go with an alcohol based cleaner. Nail scrub brushes get the whole ten yards as they come into contact with the skin and bits can remain in the bristles so those get the soap and water and full 10 min. immersion in Barbecide Plus, rinsed, dried and then into the brush box.

I once put my nylon scrub brushes into our sanitizer cabinet and found out the hard way that the germicidal light yellows the bristles. They look ugly but they're clean lol.

We have to keep all implements, etc. covered so my "brush box" is a little white plastic pencil box (I liberated it from my 5 year old).

Ok, I'm not nuts, we all seem to take care of our brushes the same way. Thanks for all your help, and I'll let you know what happens, the meeting isn't until the first week of June, so I have time to write a very detailed account of how to properly clean and store a brush.

Latest posts

Back