Acrylic nails pinging off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbeygrace

Reaction score
Hi :)
I have recently qualified in nails and do tip and dip acrylics...i have been practicing on people and charging a small amount, yet one person has come and said they came off while she was at work :(
I have been doing more research and think maybe I was putting the resin too close to the cuticles as I was previously putting it on as if it was nail varnish (sorry if that sounds silly but i had just started lol)
Any tips on how to make sure they last?
Also have ordered some 3d bows and dimantes do i stick these on with the resin?
Thanks so much for you help x

Hey chick,

it is extremely rare for nail to 'ping off' 99% of the time they have been 'helped off'

search this forum for lifting and you will find massive amounts of advice that should help a lot..

hth's

thanks a lot :)
The girl who said they had pinged off had been at work and had them a lot longer than she usually did, would this have contributed? x

thanks a lot :)
The girl who said they had pinged off had been at work and had them a lot longer than she usually did, would this have contributed? x

Yes, they need to be a suitable length for her lifestyle. If you have had a few clients and this is the only one who has had a problem, you might be able to put it down to them being effected by your clients lifestyle or her picking/pulling etc. if its a problem you have had a few times then as envy said, prep is quite often a problem. Make sure you leave a little gap (just a mm) around the cuticle and side walls to stop lifting.

You can attach you 3d bits with some adhesive xxx

thanks so much, think the problem may have been not leaving a gap as i didnt realise it was important before! really helped girls thanks x

Here is a little tip whilst doing acrylics.

Make sure you bend the finger downwards so the acrylic cant run into the cuticle.

Obv if she is working she could be hard on them.

Another thing is make sure u have the natural nail a dull colour, when pushing back cuticles make sure u leave no skin as acrylic will not stick to this. Have u used a dehydrator? This changes the ph balance of the nail and gets it ready for the acrylic to bond.

xx

Thankyou,
I used acetone i just applied it with cotton wool as i wasn't told how to on my course?
Thanks for the tip thats great i now know i was applying the resin too close to the cuticle and maybe not buffing enough! at least i now know and have only charged trainee prices so the girl whos came off wasnt bothered, also the others I have done have been ok :) xxx

I think you could do with a little bit of follow-up training maybe? Where in Warwickshire are you? And where did you train? x

Hi, I only trained two weeks ago so not sure i need more training yet as I am still practising but thanks anyway x

I know it is the tip and dip system you are using as opposed to traditional acrylic, but prep of the nail is always the same and crucial to an enhancement service.
Here is a tutorial from our tutorials section on prep...http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

This tutorial is done using CND products but there are other nail cleansers out there other than Scrubfresh, all much better than just using acetone.

thankyou, so instead of acetone do i need to get a primer? my trainer told me only to use this for the brush technique? xx appreciate all your tips thanks x

also can i use different products or must they be the same make? all of my stuff is the edge except the resin and cuticle oil x

At what stage are you using a acetone? I can't imaging how it would be beneficial applying it to the nailbed before applying the acrylic? A dehydrator or primer would definitely be the way to go? Where did you train? I'm very curious. I understand you are practicing but is there a point if your course from what I have seen has not taught you all the steps to doing an acrylic set? Maybe a quick refresher might be the way to go. I also noticed you used edge product but with a different resin? Is there a reason you went with a different resin? Most acrylic systems are designed to be used in that way... As a system. There is alot of science behind why one product is used with another.. Maybe a conflicting resin could be the explanation as well?

thanks for the reply, I used a different one because I ordered it offline and the edge resin was all gloopy and i was doing a friends nails the next day so had to go out and get a new one, maybe this is the reason. As i said, I have done quite a few nails and only one persons has come off a few days later and they come off at work. I trained at a salon, and my trianer said to apply acetone before to dehydrate the nail, that why i have been doing this.
Thanks for the advice, just wanted some tips and like i said, i see where i have been going wrong now, now i feel less confident being told i need more training lol x

Hi Abbeygrace. Dont loose confidence if more training is needed. In this business like many others there is always more to learn, new products and techniques as well this is how you stay the best you can.
Think of your initial training the start of an adventure, enjoy learning it can only make you better = more clients
Hugs vicki xx

aw thanks very much! I know I must of sounded like I can't do it but I am getting better and that was only one set back :) from reading all the posts I can see there is a lot to learn but also always new things to learn so thankyou x x

By all means don't loose confidence!! Even nail techs qualified for years will continue training!! There will always be something new to learn.. Furthered training is what separates one from another.. New systems get developed, new, and better techniques become available. It all
Comes with the job. Best of luck :)

Latest posts

Back