Acrylic removal advise needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Style

Reaction score
Hi

My friend has asked me to take her acrylics off and replace with gel. She is coming over Fri night and I haven't seen them but she says there in a right state and that a couple of them have come off and her nails are paper thin underneath.

I know I will have to soak them in acetone to get the acrylic off but I'm not comfortable with putting tips on paper thin nails! what would you geeks advise?

Thanks

xxxxx

When you take off a blanket you feel colder right?? Its the same with enhancements.. the difference in the feeling of the nail after enhancements is what she is probably confusing with paper thin.. She very well could have nail plate damage on the ones that are off.. but that shouldn't stop you from replacing tips.. Just go easy during removal process and buffing the tip..

Remember the fact that you are tech.. and you havnt seen them yet.. educate her on enhancements and don't let anyone tell you what they "think".. IYKWIM

they may well be in a state.. but nothing is unfix able.. and gels may not necessarily be better!.. but yea.. unless she has real plate damage you should be fine.

Where did she have them done originally?

Unless it is a flexible soak off gel, on a wafer thin damaged nail plate I would opt for l&p anyway, rather than buff off gel which is not flexible hth x

In a salon but I have to say they don't have a very good reputation but they are only one of 2 in the town centre locally.

xxxxx

Hey Sara,

If they are really bad I would'nt touch them with any enhancements at all, just do a removal and recovery manicure, a nice polish if she likes.
If you deem them ok for a new set you could sculpt if you do sculpts, (sorry should have checked before I replied!) If her whole nail is paper thin I'd be wary to do gel unless its a soak off as you could damage it very easily when doing an infill. hope this helps xx

In a salon but I have to say they don't have a very good reputation but they are only one of 2 in the town centre locally.

xxxxx
Was it an NSS.....if so and the nails look ok....as in no lifting, pocket lifting, greenies etc....although they'll probably be a bit thick, thin them right down and rebalance.....gel or l/p will be fine... if gel don't refine the old product lower than a 180.

I personally wouldn't soak off, it will take forever and expose very damaged nail plates. If she comes back to you for regular rebalances the damage will grow out.

Thanks everyone for your replies you've been a massive help, I'll let you know how I get on :eek:

xxxxx

If her nails are as thin as you say, I wouldn't put gel on her, curing it could send her through the roof unless you are super careful.

If her nails are as thin as you say, I wouldn't put gel on her, curing it could send her through the roof unless you are super careful.

Absolutly.....i have applied gel to clients with thinned nails from other techs and self mutilation...:lol:....you really do need to take your time...apply very very thin layers at a time...this may well mean doing 5-6 layers...but each one MUST be a cats lick. Then at cure time...get them to bob in and out of the lamp a few times before there full 2 mins cure....this slows the process of curing and greatly reduces the painful shrink can can be felt.

Heat spike CAN be avoided....

I'm going to pop in and see her at her work tonight before she comes tomorrow to see what sort of state they are in I'll let you all know later... thanks again for all your help and support though much appreciated.

I was waiting for someone to point this out.. i am not very learned in Gel.. and i knew there was some issue with thin nails and gel.. but now i know what it is! see we all learn here! :green:

I went in and saw her tonight and some she has picked and now has lumps of acrylic left, one has what i think is a greenie on the side wall although I've never seen one before but it looks similar to what I have seen in books and her little finger looks like the nail has lifted at the hyponichium very white on the top of the nail plate! the nail plates are not as thin as I was expecting. But we have agreed that i will remove the acrylic tomorrow night and I will give her a manicure and leave them alone for now... phew :eek:

I think your decision to wait is the right one. Rectify some of her 'problems' (greenie etc) and then have another look at them again in a week or so.
I'd advise her to give them massage with oil at every opportunity too. That should make your job a bit easier in the long run too. HTH :)

Latest posts

Back