Acrylically Stumped!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephy_Devil

Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this is reminiscent of any recent posts but I searched and couldnt reaaly find what I needed.

I recently passed by Acrylic course with Essential Nails and passed with a really good grade. I was pleased with my training, progress and so were my victims :)

As my nail biter practice was thin on the ground though, my 19yro neice came to me and said she wanted a set for a special occassion.

They looked amazing after I had finished.

The only problem, is that 4 days later she says they've all come off. I questioned her why and she said that being a waitress in a busy pub she also helps out in the kitchen. Her hands are in and out of water polishing cutlery, washing her hands due to hygiene and the acrylic started to flake.

I'm not silly and I know that excessive water can cause the acrylic to lift but 4 days just seems a little short and I'm a bit disheartened if I'm honest :(

Is there any kind of system that can provide a strong bond for client's who have these types of jobs?

Sincerely yours,
A Sulky Zeph :(

x

hi hun,i work in a chippy (how very glamorous! lol),my hands are forever in water & mine allways last anything between 10 up to 2 weeks & i still have to soak them of,(i prefer a new set instead of infills myself)...if her nails are short it is allways best to not have the nail tip to long because this can contribute to nails breaking easily,what product are you using hun? x

Hey Sar' I cut the tips nice and short for her because she's not used to nails and also plays guitar so didnt want anything too long. Probably 2 or 3mm over the edge of the thumb. I used my EN Dream products which is what I always use, and my sister who had hers done at the same time are still on and going strong.
I'm not under any illusions that acrylics wont wear if you're using them THAT much in and out of water but 4 days has me worried and automatically I'm putting it down to me. x

Hi,
Nail biters are always recommended to come back each week for the first few appts as their nails are often weak, damaged and they aren't used to having nails or looking after them.

Add this to her job and lifestyle and you probably have the answers.

If you know you did a good job, be confident and offer repairs at a cost and to infill every week for the first month.

Failing that how about an acylic overlay to help her grow her nails without extending length.

Do you do SHELLAC?

this would also be a possibility to help her grow them.
x

Her work will definitely be a factor but nail biters are notorious for biting their nails, extensions, fingers or anything that they can get in their mouths! She may not admit this to you but 99% of them will pick, bite, pull or fiddle with their extensions, even if they don't want to ruin them. Don't be disheartened by this my darling it is quite usual. :green:

Hi,
Nail biters are always recommended to come back each week for the first few appts as their nails are often weak, damaged and they aren't used to having nails or looking after them.

Add this to her job and lifestyle and you probably have the answers.

If you know you did a good job, be confident and offer repairs at a cost and to infill every week for the first month.

Failing that how about an acylic overlay to help her grow her nails without extending length.

Do you do SHELLAC?

this would also be a possibility to help her grow them.
x

Hi Jolie,

When you say 'Failing that how about an acylic overlay to help her grow her nails without extending length.' do you mean applying acrylic solely to the nail? Is this something that's done? I'm knew in the circle so it's all greek atm lol

Have you done this before?

I don't do Shellac .. yet .. I'm half way through my mani/pedi course which is what I told I need BEFORE doing a Shellac course.

x

Her work will definitely be a factor but nail biters are notorious for biting their nails, extensions, fingers or anything that they can get in their mouths! She may not admit this to you but 99% of them will pick, bite, pull or fiddle with their extensions, even if they don't want to ruin them. Don't be disheartened by this my darling it is quite usual. :green:

Thanks Shedunlop! As soon as I hear something negative its automatic to doubt myself :( I just thought 4 days was pretty rapid ... hopefully the lil minx isnt telling porkies lol x

hiya hun,well if your sisters are still on i think it is safe to say your not at fault :),i've read a few stories on here of nail pickers/biters,biting them of & blaming the nail tech!,not had one myself yet but at least i will be prepared now when i do lol!,keep up the good work hun :),in every obstacle there is a lesson to be learnt!,it's good job i'm like a sponge lol! :D x

I was a biter/picker, still am really so I know from experience it is just not that easy to stop. We feel guilty about picking at things so we tell fibs! If I don't have nails on I will bite and pick the skin around my nails so I make sure my nails are covered with something as much as possible. That will stop me biting and I can't pick the skin but I constantly fiddle with the nails.

You will come across clients who do this and some who are angels! :green:

Thanks guys. Ive now gone and given her the best advice I can from what Ive learnt here, my course and researching on SG. Ultimately if she wants good nails she needs to stop biting them.

Cant wait to have mani/pedi under my belt so I can move on to shellac :)

x

Latest posts

Back