Acrylics still not sticking, please help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazdiane

Reaction score
I have completed training and still I am having trouble with my acrylics sticking, my trainer said everything I'm doing is right and it must be my product so I bought nsi as this is what we trained with and still they only last about a week before they fall off. I feel so disheartened as I will never be able to earn money if I'm constantly repairing fallen off nails free.
I always make sure I have prepped properly so can't see how it can be that.
Feel like giving up now as I have been practicing since I booked onto the course back in November, I thought once I'd had my practical training then all my problems would be solved but they're not

I have completed training and still I am having trouble with my acrylics sticking, my trainer said everything I'm doing is right and it must be my product so I bought nsi as this is what we trained with and still they only last about a week before they fall off. I feel so disheartened as I will never be able to earn money if I'm constantly repairing fallen off nails free.
I always make sure I have prepped properly so can't see how it can be that.
Feel like giving up now as I have been practicing since I booked onto the course back in November, I thought once I'd had my practical training then all my problems would be solved but they're not
Can you confirm all steps you take and products used and how do you remove the cuticle from the nail plate?

Can you confirm all steps you take and products used and how do you remove the cuticle from the nail plate?
Yes I use metal cuticle pusher first then 240 grit white block buffer then cleanser spray to remove dust and as I was told it was probably my product I went and bought the nsi attraction sampler kit

Are you doing them just on yourself? Or on someone else? And is it every person's nails that's a problem or just one or two?

What was the product that you assumed was the problem?

It's old fashioned I know but do you actually have a textbook? Your terminology is incorrect & I think you would benefit from actually having a professional source of information to refer to.

Your prep all sounds rather basic. Again a textbook like this one will help you with everything:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Te...PX0_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460816686&sr=1-1

Your tutor issued some rather odd advice & your post suggests that you don't have a lot of fundamental grounding. I think people trying to help on this type of thread will not be enough.

I would get the logistical side understood via a textbook & then opt for some quality training if you aspire to make this your livelihood.

Just because you were told it was your product it doesn't mean it is! No offence but practising since December is nothing, it takes years in some cases to perfect l&P. Watch some Gemma lambert videos on you tube, she's fab & will help you to understand your ratio, which can be a key problem. Just keep practising & don't give up!!!

Are you doing them just on yourself? Or on someone else? And is it every person's nails that's a problem or just one or two?
I'm doing them on friends and family and they always come off no matter who they're on. Asked my latest person if hers were still on earlier that I'd done just over a week ago and hers are still on ok at the moment.

What was the product that you assumed was the problem?

It's old fashioned I know but do you actually have a textbook? Your terminology is incorrect & I think you would benefit from actually having a professional source of information to refer to.

Your prep all sounds rather basic. Again a textbook like this one will help you with everything:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Te...PX0_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460816686&sr=1-1

Your tutor issued some rather odd advice & your post suggests that you don't have a lot of fundamental grounding. I think people trying to help on this type of thread will not be enough.

I would get the logistical side understood via a textbook & then opt for some quality training if you aspire to make this your livelihood.
I do know the terminology thank you very much for being condescending, I was just simplifying things as didn't want to write a massive long text from my phone and thought that the people on this forum would understand products I'm using without me being specific. I have trained with next step beauty and purchased the nsi attraction sampler kit on their advice and only the sampler kit in case I had the same problems which in deed I have. I was using salon services own branded acrylic powder and monomer.

Just because you were told it was your product it doesn't mean it is! No offence but practising since December is nothing, it takes years in some cases to perfect l&P. Watch some Gemma lambert videos on you tube, she's fab & will help you to understand your ratio, which can be a key problem. Just keep practising & don't give up!!!
I have watched loads of videos and think Gemma lambert is amazing. I'm sure my ratio is correct as it doesn't run off brush by being too runny and you can't see visible powder, have practiced loads and I know it is just a case of practicing but don't know what I need to change, it's so frustrating

Sorry I know I wrote that I've been practicing since November but it was actually August I booked onto the course, my training was supposed to be November but they kept cancelling so didn't get training till beginning of March but I have practiced since August.

Could it be the technique? I was taught to put brush in monomer, wipe on side then wipe on lint free wipe or tissue then draw a small circle in the powder to pick up a medium sized bead and start with zone 1 then zone 2 and finally zone 3 also I forgot to mention in my first response that I use primer before applying acrylic to dehydrate the nail plate and there have been times I have forgotten this but funnily enough I forgot the primer on my latest client and hers have been fine

Yes I use metal cuticle pusher first then 240 grit white block buffer then cleanser spray to remove dust and as I was told it was probably my product I went and bought the nsi attraction sampler kit
Are you not using a dehydrator or primer? This could be the problem, the product is not adhering properly

If you take a step back and take emotions out of it isn't it a fair assessment to say you are really struggling?

Because I can see that in your posts and I am confident others can too.

The book will help you. You can be irritated with me but I encourage you to buy the book in spite of it as everyone needs foundation knowledge & it is all in one easy to access source.

Salon systems is an economy product but is fine. Logically any enhancement product brought to market is going to work & a trainer suggesting it doesn't is offering such poor advice it highlights an issue with quality of education. Other elements of your posts reinforce this.

If you take a step back and take emotions out of it isn't it a fair assessment to say you are really struggling?

Because I can see that in your posts and I am confident others can too.

The book will help you. You can be irritated with me but I encourage you to buy the book in spite of it as everyone needs foundation knowledge & it is all in one easy to access source.

Salon systems is an economy product but is fine. Logically any enhancement product brought to market is going to work & a trainer suggesting it doesn't is offering such poor advice it highlights an issue with quality of education. Other elements of your posts reinforce this.
I don't see why I should spend more money on another book when I have spent so much already on this course I have done and downloaded loads of manuals all with the information on how to apply the various types of nail enhancements. You don't need to be rude to me. I was after some advice if others have had same difficulties. Please enlighten me as to where I supposedly lack the knowledge, as I feel I have studied and studied and practiced and practiced.

Could it be the technique? I was taught to put brush in monomer, wipe on side then wipe on lint free wipe or tissue then draw a small circle in the powder to pick up a medium sized bead and start with zone 1 then zone 2 and finally zone 3 also I forgot to mention in my first response that I use primer before applying acrylic to dehydrate the nail plate and there have been times I have forgotten this but funnily enough I forgot the primer on my latest client and hers have been fine
Sorry just see you said you use a primer, but the primer doesn't dehydrate the nail (I'm new to nails too!) as far as I'm aware you'd use a dehydrator of your choice to lift oil, dirt and contaminants from the nail plate, then a primer chemically prepares the nail, to promote better adhesion, also I have been taught to etch the nail plate with a 180 grit file, although all systems teach differently for their product

Are you not using a dehydrator or primer? This could be the problem, the product is not adhering properly
I used the primer that came with the sampler kit. I was using a different primer with the salon services product and when I changed to the acid primer it was lasting slightly longer but the nsi kit comes with non acid primer.

Sorry just see you said you use a primer, but the primer doesn't dehydrate the nail (I'm new to nails too!) as far as I'm aware you'd use a dehydrator of your choice to lift oil, dirt and contaminants from the nail plate, then a primer chemically prepares the nail, to promote better adhesion, also I have been taught to etch the nail plate with a 180 grit file, although all systems teach differently for their product
I was taught you shouldn't use anything rougher than a 240 grit on the natural nail?

I was taught you shouldn't use anything rougher than a 240 grit on the natural nail?
Yeah like I said all teach different ways, I've been taught to lightly buff shine off the nail plate, then etch with a 180, but like willow said about the book, it doesn't hurt to study a bit more, some ladies on here have taken many different L+P course with different companies, brushing up on knowledge and techniques

Can you upload a picture of a finished set head on and side view preferably without colour? I would like to see your zones. And the book willowrose suggested is one of the best out there I think every nail tech starting out should have a copy ;-) hey even I have a copy and I've been doing nails for years!

Yeah like I said all teach different ways, I've been taught to lightly buff shine off the nail plate, then etch with a 180, but like willow said about the book, it doesn't hurt to study a bit more, some ladies on here have taken many different L+P course with different companies, brushing up on knowledge and techniques
I will try that then and see if it makes a difference, thank you

Latest posts

Back