Admin lady / nail tech / mani & pedi all-in-1

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabez

Reaction score
Hope I'm posting this on the right forum. I have a challenge, need serious advice, herwith background. Joined a salon in June 08 (mornings only) to do l&p nails (my own little nailbar)- salon didnt offer nails on their menu). The owner was realy kind and allowed me 6 months to try and build up a nail-clientele (rent free), in that time however they also trained me up in manis/pedi's + gel toes for the salon (which I realy enjoy). In Sept 08 I was asked to join full time and offered a basic monthly fee in exchange for several admin tasks - (way too many to list and the list has grown each month). I am now paying rent for my nail space. As I have a corporate background I didnt mind doin admin. I do admin work for salon, mani/pedi+gel toes when requested and I can do my nail thing. Today the owner and I met and she asked when I will start making targets as I'm not meeting the monthly targets. I was bit confused - coz when her and I chatted in Sept we agreed on a list of all the things I would do ( all admin related),which I have done incredibly well ,made several changes to things and brought in new things. She said that she didn't employ me as an admin clerk, if she wanted one, she could do this herself :confused:- but that I have added immense value which she is very grateful for. I think we (maybe myself) didn't understand the conversation in context in Sept fully). Don't get me wrong, she realy is a honey and we are extremely fond of one another) - but she said that I need to "earn my income" as well as for the salon, by way of mani's/pedi's + gel toes) and what plan/strategy can I put forward to meet these monthly targets & what specials can i come up with to promote manis/pedis/gel toess. I was so blown away:eek:, I concluded from the conversation in Sept that my basic fee is for the admin I do and I thought that any treatments i do for the salon is (well, great for us) and didnt think of it differently. Thats why I didnt understand why she was giving me monthly targets??? - I should have asked when i was confused:confused:. As the target is high (for me anyhow) - i feel so anxious now. I have a few mani/pedi + gel toe clients who I follow up with and try to cross-market at my nail table as well, but it's not enough. I am qualified in l&p but not in other fields, but her & the other therapist trained me up and assessed me very well in mani/pedi + gel toes. Globally people are cash strapped (hubby & I retrenched 3-weeks apart 3 years ago) and have still not recovered. The South African Rand has taken a beating. I'm somehow terrified if I dont meet these targets, she might negate on admin duties but these are what form the small steady basic income I can bring home (as the nails are still slow going). Please help me with some ideas (for specials and promotions) as most of what I come up with the girls say isn't cost effective or practical.) May sound like small fry to some out there, but I've made this career change at almost 40 and I can't turn back. I just feel realy spooked. Had it in my mind: Admin duties for basic fee; (mani/pedi+gel toes) extra for salon (Commission only earned at certain level),I can concentrate on my nails and now pay standing fee for my nail table. Any suggestions out there are very welcome. I love the salon,the owner and the girls - I want to make this work. Thanks to all who read this "book" & reply.:hug:

It seems your 'admin' skills are very valuable to the owner, Your initial agreement is for the nailbar and nails and it really has to stop at that as the 6 mths was for you to grow your side of the business and occassionally help out in other areas such as gel toes etc.which you have. You really need to break fro the extra responsibilty and focus on what you do best. Maybe swop the fee for admin for payment for nails then you will hit a realistic target. I rented space to a make-up artist and do not want or need to 'cash in' on her earnings and if she does a spray tan for me I pay her for that.
You will have to tell her that you can dedicate no more than x amount of hours to the salon work and over the week you will be expected to make a set figure.

Unfortunetly it cannot work you can either join her workforce for a wage, negotiate you desk and her services or just stick to doing your own services

I have to say it seems very bizarre what this lady wants of you. From what I understand you now pay an amount for the table, so that is all she should get. If I was to rent a table I wouldn't expect to still have to do there work, unless I was getting it the table free, I may do some of the admin work to cover it. But I'm sorry but they should do there own mani/pedis and gel toes.

I hope you get this one sorted. Good luck x

Many thanks for your replies. The owner said that the basic monthly fee I get is what a qualified therapist is paid, but since I was not a qualified therapist when I joined them (I joined in my own capacity as a qualified l&p nail technician only). The basic monthly fee is paid in lieu of all the admin services i render until such time that I am versed in mani's / pedi's + gel toes (which i now am). If I work out the basic monthly fee divided by my nail prices - I'd have to build a serious clientele very quickly. My full sets and rebalances are still taking 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Now I'll have to market hard as I can to source nail clients. Flyers seem of little value where I am, word-of-mouth seems to be the best way. I will start having business cards printed (seeing someone tomorrow) as well as having some gift certificates printed. Will keep you posted. Best of luck to all out there who are trying hard to keep their businesses afloat - persevere. Many thanks.

Try Vista print for your business cards they are a good price.

It could be time to move...............

Latest posts

Back