Advertising Scams

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Manes

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wanted to bring up the subject of advertising scams, which I am sure has been discussed before, but always seems to be an ongoing risk.

Usually I am very vigilant of any kind of advertising and sales calls especially as I used to work in law, but this time “THEY GOT ME”.:cry:

Basically I have my own Hair & Beauty Salon in Northamptonshire and on Thursday of last week I received a telephone call from a lady who said that she was phoning from a certain doctors surgery just a couple of miles away from my salon. She explained that they are just in the process of having their new appointment cards produced and were looking for local companies to advertise on these appointment cards. She then went on to say that she was aware that we offer a wig service and that this would be a good advert to have on their cards, as presently they are sending their patience further a field for wigs. Because this was local advertising with a well established surgery I agreed to see their representative the following day. Along came the rep, who made this form of advertising seem like a really good idea. The catch (there had to be one) in order to secure a good place on the appointment card I would need to pay a deposit and I would have to agree to take the advertising over a 2 year period. He really pressured me into agreeing and (stupidly) I gave him my card details to take a 350.00 initial payment. As he left, I had a really bad feeling so I rang the doctor’s surgery concerned for peace of mind. Initially I was told that they were not aware of this company at all and that they had received a couple of calls that day by other people regarding it (my stomach felt sick). I asked them to double check with the surgery manager which they did and they then confirmed that they were aware of the company, however they did not really want to get involved as the company are responsible for getting the sponsors and therefore they could not commit to saying whether my advert would be successful. They also confirmed that nobody from their actual surgery had phoned me.

When I got home I did some internet searching and found a website forum regarding this advertising company (Leisure-Medical UK). Basically anyone who has gone ahead with the advertising has had little or no business from it and some people had lost their money.

www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=1453&mpage=1

I rang my bank straight away and could not believe how quickly this company had taken the money from my bank. I decided to write to the company immediately and cancel my advert and ask for my money back.

I made sure that I cancelled in writing within 5 days and sent the letter Recorded Delivery.

The company has now written back to me stating that the contract cannot be cancelled and therefore I cannot have my money back.

I will now write again referring them to the consumers rights law “cooling off period” and my rights and threaten them with court action.

I just wanted to warn all you business owners, as apparently these companies even target freelance people at home and they are becoming very crafty.

oh my gawd hun thats awful.....i have so many phonecalls from advertising companies, and i know just how hard it is to say no to them.
I think it is very good of you to make everyone aware of this situation and i for one will be letting my friend know as i am worried that a friend of mine has signed up with the same sort of thing! x x x x

When I was about 16 I used to work for a telesales company... I was selling advertising space in diaries and used to cold call people and get money off them from advertising in either a poster or a diary... I used to do really well and always made my bonus and got lots of commission...

.. one day I went to work and these people had come in and taken all the computers and paperwork and a few of the other staff told me I had better get as far away from the office as possible... they were all leaving as quick as they could

Basically, it was a big con and I had stolen money off people for weeks - I felt so disgusted and so sorry for all these people with big hearts who thought they were donating to charity with a bit of advertising. I just wanted a job for the summer.

NEVER ever advertise in a 'police diary' or anything similar as there are many companies do this, then go bust and change names and set up dodgy offices elsewhere. Its cruel.

I feel like a fool, but these companies will try any tactic to get your hard earned money.

yep i signed up with em too !!! :mad: i gave em a deposit on my card and was told that the next installment would be taken by cheque (they would write when it was needed!) well they took it off my card so i phoned em and was told it i had signed the contract so i had to abide by it (hence leting them take money off my card details ) i had gave the woman hell at this point !!
my ad was meant to come out in feb but they phond the other day to say it was coming out late coz the doctors surgery wanted to change some stuff :rolleyes: , i have the weirdest feeling that i have been shafted !!! :irked: (hubby told me aswell not to bother with it, he will kill me if the ad doest come out:irked: )
thank you or letting us all know hun, i just thought they were slack at getting the adds out !!!

Yes, I have been contacted by leisure-medical twice. Its sounds really a good idea in theory but when I go to the doctors I have yet to recieve an app. card with adverts on the back.

Beautiful Manes said:
Hi Guys

Just wanted to bring up the subject of advertising scams, which I am sure has been discussed before, but always seems to be an ongoing risk.

Usually I am very vigilant of any kind of advertising and sales calls especially as I used to work in law, but this time “THEY GOT ME”.:cry:

Basically I have my own Hair & Beauty Salon in Northamptonshire and on Thursday of last week I received a telephone call from a lady who said that she was phoning from a certain doctors surgery just a couple of miles away from my salon. She explained that they are just in the process of having their new appointment cards produced and were looking for local companies to advertise on these appointment cards. She then went on to say that she was aware that we offer a wig service and that this would be a good advert to have on their cards, as presently they are sending their patience further a field for wigs. Because this was local advertising with a well established surgery I agreed to see their representative the following day. Along came the rep, who made this form of advertising seem like a really good idea. The catch (there had to be one) in order to secure a good place on the appointment card I would need to pay a deposit and I would have to agree to take the advertising over a 2 year period. He really pressured me into agreeing and (stupidly) I gave him my card details to take a 350.00 initial payment. As he left, I had a really bad feeling so I rang the doctor’s surgery concerned for peace of mind. Initially I was told that they were not aware of this company at all and that they had received a couple of calls that day by other people regarding it (my stomach felt sick). I asked them to double check with the surgery manager which they did and they then confirmed that they were aware of the company, however they did not really want to get involved as the company are responsible for getting the sponsors and therefore they could not commit to saying whether my advert would be successful. They also confirmed that nobody from their actual surgery had phoned me.

When I got home I did some internet searching and found a website forum regarding this advertising company (Leisure-Medical UK). Basically anyone who has gone ahead with the advertising has had little or no business from it and some people had lost their money.

www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=1453&mpage=1

I rang my bank straight away and could not believe how quickly this company had taken the money from my bank. I decided to write to the company immediately and cancel my advert and ask for my money back.

I made sure that I cancelled in writing within 5 days and sent the letter Recorded Delivery.

The company has now written back to me stating that the contract cannot be cancelled and therefore I cannot have my money back.

I will now write again referring them to the consumers rights law “cooling off period” and my rights and threaten them with court action.

I just wanted to warn all you business owners, as apparently these companies even target freelance people at home and they are becoming very crafty.

just a question 4 u. did u pay by credit card???If so you can contact the credit card company etc and get ya money back. Did u know that since the introduction of chip and pin any card transactions taken without the pin are actually the traders responsibility and basically they haven't got a leg to stand on. give it a try and good luck.

Also you can stop the card payments by telling the card company your card was lost so they issue a new one

Sorry to hear that story. I bloody hate scammers. They do my head in. (being a victim from ebay):cry:

Unfortunately theres too much of this stuff going around this day and age. Nearly everyday my fella gets emails from ging gang goo walla walla... and stupid names like that saying that they have deceased peaople with no next of kin and you stand to inherit millions if you just send your bank details!! Half of the emails are really bad spellers and claim to be solicitors!!

Good job you knew the law and that 'cool off period' thingy. I wouldnt have known that if it was me.
Hope you get somewhere with the threatening of court action. However, if you still get fobbed off, I'd write to WATCHDOG at the BBC. They'll help you I'm sure.
Good Luck, and keep us all posted as to what happens.
xxx

Just a quick update for you.

I am sending the company a letter tomorrow stating the law and demanding my money back or I will commence court action.

My bank so far have been really good and are fairly confident that they can claw my money back and in the meantime they have cancelled my card so this company cannot take anymore money.

Remember guys - whatever the contract there is a cooling off period which gives you the right to change your mind - this law was put in place to stop nastly cheating companies like Leisure-Medical.

I will keep you all updated.

Danger Mouse said:
Also you can stop the card payments by telling the card company your card was lost so they issue a new one

iv tried doing this before but they wouldnt stop any payments going through.
i didnt think about cancelling my card.

You don't even have to say your card has been lost.

If you tell the bank the real story they should try and help you. Banks are part of some organisation that have powers in situations like this - THANK GOD!!!!!!!!

Make sure you are fully armed with the facts because consumer laws for businesses I think are different than for domestic cases, and I don't think there is a cooling off period for businesses unless the company concerned has it in its contract, that's how they keep getting away with these scams.

A lot of us have been duped by such people, get caught out at a time when maybe we're not thinking straight and just say yes to get them off out backs. I've taken the stance that if I haven't actually seen the magazine, cards etc in action then I'm not interested. If I haven't seen it then neither will most other people.

Hello,

Unfortunately I have been scammed by them. I opened my business recently and when they approached me It sound like a fantastic idea so I signed up with them.they were meant to publish the add in march but up tilll now its still not out yet..... now they have just sent me the letter saying I have to pay pay installment. I have inquired about the cards from the Dr surgery and they have not got anything advertised on the cards.

I am not sure what to do as I have a contract with them I have paid around 150 quid and I am not willing to pay any more they are threatening me with bailiff letters.

Confused ........ Any advice will be much appreciated....

I didn't know about this sort of thing until I got a call last week. First he said he was calling from Merseyside Police, then went on to mention that they wanted a nail technician to advertise in a newsletter that would be sent to every postcode in my area, all I'd have to do is pay £100.... I knew it was a scam straight away and told him not to call me again. I would have reported the number but it was witheld.

I really hope that lots of people can learn from this and never give money to a stranger over the phone. I would certainly never do that but some people are not as sceptical and will fall for things.

I had a call last week from someone asking me if I wanted to advertise in a local firemens safety magazine which was going to be delivered all over my local area. He wanted my bank details there & then so I could make a payment & secure my advertising place. Bells rang straight away.

If you want to spend on advertising, you do the calling. Never give your details to someone cold calling. Always check them out.

This is such a good thread. Sorry to those that have been scammed but thank you for sharing and warning the rest of us.
Rhiannon x

Hate these people they contact me all the time. I don't trust anyone anymore :(

The ones that contact me seem to be slightly different, they tell me they're calling from this charity or that charity and a while ago I agreed to advertise in such and such a publication and they're calling to take payment as the advert has been printed.

Nearly got me the first time I must admit!

Latest posts

Back