advice for a nail biter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah21

Reaction score
hi im a nail biter :irked: and im trying to grow them as im starting a beauty therapy course and dont wany horrible nails has anyone got any advice on how i can get them to grow quicker and to stop bitting them ( i bite them due to stress) but really want to stop any advice would be nice thank you

Hi! U can try buying the bitter nail polish, when u put your finger in your mouth they have so bitter taste:hug:

Hi and welcome...

I'm not sure, but I think you are actually asked to keep nails quite short on most beauty courses. And I'm almost positive they prefer you not to wear enhancements.

As you've said - you are a nail biter. Best thing to do....and I know it sound obvious, is stop biting them! I would recommend, as enhancements probably aren't an option, that you go and get a really good manicure, get them looking their best and then try and break the habit. You'll undoubtedly pick up some good info on keeping them in tip top condition during your course, but there are several products out there that will also help, such as solar oil from Creative nail design

Hi

Try Sally Hensen or Hansen it's in most boots stores. It keeps you nails really strong and helps them grow. You can get different types for diff nail problems.

I agree with Zingara, get a good manicure done and then make sure you look after you nails at home.
I can personally recommend Cuticle Eraser and Solar Oil, use them daily and the condition of your nails and surrounding skin will be fab as they act as a shampoo and conditioning treatment.
Painting your nails with a bright coloured enamel will also help as you'll be more aware when you go to put your nails in your mouth, the colour will catch you eye and hopefully it'll deter the biting and nibbling.
It's a hard habit to break as nailbiters aren't normally aware when they're biting.
Good Luck

Hi

I was a bad nail biter until I got nail enhancments applied. I tried all the horrible tasting varnishes but nothing worked. As lyndsay said most places don't like you to have nail enhancments but you could try natural instead of french and see what they say. Well all the best I know how hard it is to try and stop yourself from bitting.

I was never a really bad bited, more of a naughty nibbler! Mainly it was if I had any jagged edges, so then I would keep files all over the place - car, handbag, each room. Then if I got an edge I would reach for the file and not for the teeth!

I have to say I find professional products such as OPI's Nail Envy very good as it's prescriptive - I really don't rate Sally Hansen's stuff, there are far better products around. And as already said a really good Pro cuticle oil.

Hi Sarah,

I was a nail biter until recently when i got a job in a nail salon and was embarassed about my nails, when i was offered the job, i made the decision to stop biting and every time i felt like a nibble i would think what my new boss and colleagues would think of me. And that was enough for me to stop biting, so if you think of it like that i'm sure you will stop, good luck

Well I was a nail biter too. I tried product after product but nothing helped. Finally I did ny nails one time with acrylic very short, just to the tip of my finger once my real nail grew out a bit I removed them and used filler and hardener on them. Oiled them 4-5 times a day any constantly told myself how beautiful my hands looked with nails instead of stubs. Also, keep gum! It will helps with the oral fixation.

hi im a nail biter :irked: and im trying to grow them as im starting a beauty therapy course and dont wany horrible nails has anyone got any advice on how i can get them to grow quicker and to stop bitting them ( i bite them due to stress) but really want to stop any advice would be nice thank you

I was exactly the same before i started my nail course last year. I used sally hansen's Get Growing Vitamin C Solution, i think its about six or seven pound. Just use it a few times a day and you will notice the difference in a couple of weeks guarenteed.
I even had quite a few comments on how nice my nails were when i stated college, so it definately works, Plus two of my frineds even bought some when i told them what i was using!
i know there are more superior products than Sally Hansen but this one i would definately recommend.
xxx

hiya

I hope its ok to jump in here and post a reply.

This is my first post, so apologies in advance if i boo boo lol.

I am 32 years old and had been biting my nails ever since i got teeth .. I say had because about 6 weeks ago i stopped and now one or 2 of my nails are just going over the edge of my fingers. If you had of seen my hands before i stopped you would of been disgusted, they were really bad .. now looking at them you would not know i had been a nail biter .. and thats no exageration honest.

The main thing that made me stop biting them is I am doing a big craft fayre/sale and thought how can i sell sparkly jewellery with disgusting hands like these .. I went into the 2 local beauty/nail places and neither one would put on enhancements as there was nothing for them to stick too! plus around the edges were all bloody etc too (if TMI, sorry)

One of the places suggested to me to get a manicure to make me feel better about my hands/nails, and go from there .. the cuticles were half way down my almost non existant nails and had no visible half moons (sorry i cant remember the proper name for them) .. when she had finished they looked longer .. just because there was more nail visible.

She suggested to me as a low cost moisturising treatment to do at home, to LIGHTLY warm some olive oil in a bowl .. dip in some cotton wool squares and wrap around the nails/finger tips .. then wrap those in tin foil and leave on all night .. i swear it really works !!

I also bought some of the original nail envy mentioned above and used that as directed .. and i do believe thats helped the nails.

During the day i use hand cream (about 2-3 times a day) .. i started with vaseline intensive care and now use body shop hemp intensive hand cream .. its really thick and luxurious.

Another good trick to stop biting in the first place is to buff them .. I bought one of those cube files a couple of years ago (you know the ones where its a course file, fine file, buffer and something else all in one?) .. i buffed my nails up to a high shine and my teeth didnt have anything to grip onto !!! .. honestly, if you have only a couple of £ to play with, i highly suggest that one .. (just dont do as i did and get so desperate to bite them that you roughen them up to get a grip on them :confused:)

I do think that you can only stop biting them when you are really ready but you have that beauty course as an incentive to stop dont you ?

Good Luck
Erica xx
PS .. sorry for the war and peace sized email :eek:

Have them manicured and painted with a really dark polish, think about what they'll look like when this is all chipped and it might make you leave them alone!

Or ask yourself if you'd like to lick a toilet seat? Theres more germs under your nails than there is on a toilet seat so is there a difference?!?!?!?!?!

How short have you bitten your nails?

A client of mine used to bite them but not to short. So i overlayed them in L&P and she's stopped biting them. Maybe you could get them overlayed in clear gel or L&P. And use lashings of solaroil and massage in 3-4 times a day to help promote nail growth.

thanks everyone i havent bit my nails for nearly two weeks now i bought some solar oil i was thinking about buying some false nails and put them on for a few weeks would they harm my real nails as i dont want to grow them and they just end up snapping thanks for all ur advice

I wouldn't ever advise someone to use stick on nails. They lift and trap water which could lead to all kinds of bacterial infections. If your only going to have them for a bit I'd have a set of silks x x x

I used to be a terrible nail biter. My fingers would get so sore that I couldn't even do the dishes because they were so sensitive!! I tried everything to stop. Nothing really worked for me until I made the decision in my head to really stop. Even then it was SO HARD!! I made an effort to do my nails every night ( a little bit of filing or buffing) and after a couple of weeks, I found that my nails did improve. Once I started taking "care" of them, it made it easier to stop. I also never leave home without my nail file. ( I was the worst for nibbling when I got a snag or rough spot) That was a little over 10 years ago and you should see my natural nails now! I get alot of compliments about them. They are so long that people think they are enhancements! Just take it one day at a time and be sure pat yourself on the back lots. You will get there. Just think how nice it will be when you don't have to be embarrased about your fingers anymore! Now, if I could just stop smoking!! :lol:

Hi,
I'm an ex nail biter, and although expensive I found having tips applied worked a treat! By the time I had my nails filled and rebalanced, about a month and half, my nails were long enough for me to look after and the urge to bite my nails was gone!
I hope this helps,
Heather
xxx

Latest posts

Back