Advice for daughter's ear piercing please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think thats a very alarmist article and none of the studs used to pierce my ears or my childrens fitted so snuggly they didn't let the piercing site heal, nor would I describe the studs as blunt. Is this the same ivillage site that has the 'expert' nail tech telling the world how they should apply acrylic nails?

Piercing guns are blasphemy! [The Publisher's Ring]

Ear piercing guns suck

What's wrong with piercing guns? - Yahoo! Answers

Ignorance is bliss I guess

Last edited:
###################jESUS WEPT!!!!
iF YOU ARE a trained piercer then go ahead, hey I /am a registered earpiercer lol

Lol, your getting all CaPsLoCk mad at me for stating the facts that peircing guns are unsafe, primitive, and unsanitary?

I tried to get my ears pierced about five times at jewellers (and Claires) but always got an infection and had to get the earrings taken out before my ears swallowed them up (they used to swell beyond belief!).

A friend told me to go to a tattooists and go for the proper needle & tunnel technique. It didn't hurt a bit and I was given really sound advice on looking after my piercing (all I got at Claire's was a leaflet). The piercer said that the needle technique is by far the better option than using a gun as its less brutal.

It was more expensive but I didn't get an infection... and it didn't hurt nearly as much.

xLx

I agree with Lucy the needle is definately the most hygienic and less painful way to pierce

Ruby

Lol, your getting all CaPsLoCk mad at me for stating the facts that peircing guns are unsafe, primitive, and unsanitary?

No I just got a little cross :)

It's not ignorance, I just don't see Ivillage (that is my personal opinion, thats all) and especially Yahoo Answers as advice I'd be shouting out as my 'facts' if I was hellbent on proving a point. There are quite a few Geeks who trained to use these devices wether you approve of them or not and who take pride in their health and hygeine routines. I've had three sets of earrings done this way and had no issues, the only one in my family who did was one of my sons who was allergic to the metal the stud was made from. A tiny bcr from a piercing site soon put that to rights, no issues since.

Of course ideally a profesional piercer is best, no question:hug:

Thank you so much for all your replies.

I had my ears pierced just before I turned 30 lol and it hurt a lot! My therapist (who I used for facials, massage etc at the time) was lovely but nothing was used to dull the pain and the way they were pierced was for the earring to be shot through the lobe, making the hole as it went through? (This was 13 years ago so maybe they do it differently now.)

My ears swelled and throbbed for a couple of hours (which wasn't ideal as she did an hour-long facial after piercing my ears and I didn't enjoy it at all because of the throbbing. (No infection or probs after though.)

I favour the Claire's method of doing both ears at once just to get it over and done with. At 30 I couldn't very well jump up and run out but if I'd been a kid I'm CERTAIN she wouldn't have got near my second ear! But I know she doesn't fancy sitting in the shop window and I have worried about "wonky" holes too.

(btw thanks for the links, I'm going to have a look at those later).

My mind is not made up yet, a bit more research to do yet methinks! I didn't realise my little question would stir so much up!

Thanks again all :hug: :hug: :hug:

i got my ears done i think when i was about 12 i remember it hurt abit but nothing i couldnt handle at that age. I have a 5 year old and i just couldnt do it to her why would anyone want to stick big pieces of gold into perfect little ears i think it looks horrible and chavy and theres no way i could do it to a baby and make it cry through pain just cause their rediculous mother thinks it looks nice and i certainly wouldnt have a child in a head lock to get the other one done!! SAD SAD SAD...:irked:

I've just been looking the the Claire's site and it says you must wear studs AT ALL TIMES FOR SIX MONTHS, crikey I thought it was six weeks so thought the start of the summer holidays was the ideal time to do it.

But if it's six months, it won't be any good because she goes up to secondary school in September and they don't allow you to wear any earrings at all, not ever.

Would the hole close up if she wore studs for six weeks and then only wore them in the evenings/bedtime?

i got my ears done i think when i was about 12 i remember it hurt abit but nothing i couldnt handle at that age. I have a 5 year old and i just couldnt do it to her why would anyone want to stick big pieces of gold into perfect little ears i think it looks horrible and chavy and theres no way i could do it to a baby and make it cry through pain just cause their rediculous mother thinks it looks nice and i certainly wouldnt have a child in a head lock to get the other one done!! SAD SAD SAD...:irked:

No mate I wanted to get my daughter in a headlock.
She wants it doing and keeps changing her mind at the last minute.
God I'm getting it in the neck in this thread aren't I?
First off I'm told my trained method is unsafe, primitive and unsanitary:eek:
Now I'm a ridiculous mother and a chav :rolleyes:
Anybody got any other abuse to throw at me today? :lol:

I had my ears pierced about 100 years ago with a needle, and silk thread at a frightfully posh jewellers in York. It hurt like bejesus! I've never had any problems with either ear. I wouldn't have little people's ears pierced because I think it looks, well, not quite nice. Innit.

No mate I wanted to get my daughter in a headlock.
She wants it doing and keeps changing her mind at the last minute.
God I'm getting it in the neck in this thread aren't I?
First off I'm told my trained method is unsafe, primitive and unsanitary:eek:
Now I'm a ridiculous mother and a chav :rolleyes:
Anybody got any other abuse to throw at me today? :lol:

:lol: I posted I was 5 when mine were first done as were my twins. We can keep each other company then :hug:

I had my ears pierced about 100 years ago with a needle, and silk thread at a frightfully posh jewellers in York. It hurt like bejesus! I've never had any problems with either ear. I wouldn't have little people's ears pierced because I think it looks, well, not quite nice. Innit.

I don't know what you mean by 'little' but actually I think in kiddie pictures of me my little studs looked very sweet. Or maybe I'm just common to some? Thats the word I think. "Innit"? :rolleyes:

Just wanted to add....you can now purchase much smaller studs for piercing childrens ears from Caflon.

Hey you lot . . . :lol:

I never meant to have you all swinging for each other lol

I didn't start up a discussion about the age kids have their ears pierced . . . each to his own, I say, you've all got different ideas but I love you all anyway :hug:

Does anyone know what happens if you take the earrings out after 6 weeks? Does it close up?

Im always getting it in the neck on this site thing is dont let things bother you whats one persons opinion isnt anothers! and when i say things its only in a jokey mannor no one need get offended thats silly innit!!! its like baby fight club now dont get me started on that one!! haha.. lighten up everyone.

poor judy :hug::hug:
seems peeps are jumping on your case a bit hun, i dont think people realise your qualified but hey ho eh....
reguarding age...ITS UP TO THE MOTHER and the piercer......its not chavvy...funny i had my ears pierced in the 70's before the word chavvy was invented.....i was very young but in the early 70's it wasnt seen as chavvy to have your ears pierced under 5. things change is suppose as does fashion trends and what one person thinks looks nice another will think it looks trashy.
so i must be one big chav....under 5 first hole, 13 second 15 third.....i am certainly not chavvy nor was my mum wrong to let me have my ears pierced when she did. a nice pair of studs on a child under 5 or over 5 looks nice imo(no your not common min i think they look sweet too)
I am not qualified so i cant get into the whole piercing gun debate.....but guns where used on all my lobe holes and i have never had any problems, and a needle for the rest of my piercings the top of my ear was done with a needle and i had big problems....but i hear that is quite common in that area.
as for claires everyone i have spoke to have said how clean and professional they are , the after care is well explained

p.s yeah it closes up if you take out too soon i think from what i remember!! well the word chav is new to me but i thought id keep up to date haha it was scally in my day!

Latest posts

Back