Advice for daughter's ear piercing please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The studs must be kept in for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks the stud can be removed and other post-type earrings worn for the first 6 months.
The thing that really gets on my nerves is when people who aren't trained in something and DON'T offer it as a service offer their advice.
I might start telling people how to bleach their hair in a bit eh??:rolleyes:

I didnt offer advice if that was aimed at me might not of been i just said i thought it was orrible and still do!

I HIGHLY reccomend NOT getting their ears peirced at Claires, or anywhere that uses one of those plastic guns. They shove a very blunt object threw cartiledge, does that sound like a good idea? it shatters the cells, which can cause keloids, not to mention there is NO way to sanitize all the peices of the gun

There is no need to sanitise the gun itself it does not come into contact with the client. It's the earrings that do and they are individually packed in sterile containers. Pre-injection swabs are used to cleanse the clients ears first. They are also in sealed sterile packs.

, it is quite possible to catch blood borne pathogens. The only safe way to do peircings is with a brand new needle, its sharp and makes a nice little "tunnel" threw the cells, called a fistula, and is thrown out after, a new one for each client.

Feel free to get in touch if you need more advice by PM

I didnt offer advice if that was aimed at me might not of been i just said i thought it was orrible and still do!

No it wasn't :)

Good im bored of this now im off have fun x:hug:

The studs must be kept in for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks the stud can be removed and other post-type earrings worn for the first 6 months.
The thing that really gets on my nerves is when people who aren't trained in something and DON'T offer it as a service offer their advice.
I might start telling people how to bleach their hair in a bit eh??:rolleyes:

OK, thanks Judy . . . so if she isn't allowed to wear any earrings at all at school from September, I guess there's no point in her having it done. She will be :cry:.

My kids are due to start secondary school in September and they are allowed to wear only studs. Maybe you could ask the school if it would be acceptable for them to cover them with tape at school - this seems to be acceptable at our junior school for PE.

My kids are due to start secondary school in September and they are allowed to wear only studs. Maybe you could ask the school if it would be acceptable for them to cover them with tape at school - this seems to be acceptable at our junior school for PE.

It's a good thought Fiona, it's OK at our junior too . .. but I asked the secondary school and they said no.

Are they seriously going to close up, even if we get them done say this weekend and then there is a good 9 weeks till secondary starts, then she could keep them in all the time, just remove between 8.30 - 3.00 on school days? Would this work does anyone think or is the "studs for 6 months" rule an unbreakable one?

I dont know if these are still available, but when I used to have to take my earrings out for work I use to use these little plasticy keepers, they are like mini cocktail stick (shape wise) and can hardly be seen, but keep the hole open. I used to get them from my body piercer or a place that sold alot of body piercing jewellery.
hth's

:lol: I posted I was 5 when mine were first done as were my twins. We can keep each other company then :hug:

Can I join to as I had mine done when I was 5 and had my daughters done a few months ago and she is only 4
:)

Ive had 7 holes pierced with the gun and never had a problem with any of them

Also if you all think 5 is too young for a child to get their ears pierced, you wouldn't like to know what age I got mine done!

Is the gun where they shoot the earring through to make to hole? (Sorry for not knowing lol)

My daughter had hers first done at age 9 and she just had her second lot done last week, age 14, she said the lobe felt a bit hot after but did'nt hurt.

I must admit, I dont like seeing babies or very young children with their ears pierced, dont really know why, maybe because they are so perfect when they are small I dont want to do anything to spoil that perfection.

I think they should make up their own minds when they are a bit older if they want it done or not. Several of my daughters friends dont have theirs pierce at all, not because they are frightened of it but because they just dont want it done. I dont think a parent has the right to make the decision to have a childs ears pierced because they (the parent) like the look of it and its fashionable and all their freinds kids have had it done.

Just my opinion, so dont shoot me down please.

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My daughter had hers first done at age 9 and she just had her second lot done last week, age 14, she said the lobe felt a bit hot after but did'nt hurt.

I must admit, I dont like seeing babies or very young children with their ears pierced, dont really know why, maybe because they are so perfect when they are small I dont want to do anything to spoil that perfection.

I think they should make up their own minds when they are a bit older if they want it done or not. Several of my daughters friends dont have theirs pierce at all, not because they are frightened of it but because they just dont want it done. I dont think a parent has the right to make the decision to have a childs ears pierced because they (the parent) like the look of it and its fashionable and all their freinds kids have had it done.

Just my opinion, so dont shoot me down please.

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with this, I wanted to get my daughters ears done when she was quite small, but my other half didnt like the idea, so I decided that when she was old enough to ask to have it done, she could.
She asked me about 7 months ago, I asked her once every 2-3 weeks and everytime she said she still wanted it, so we had them done a few months ago. Im glad I waited for her to make her own decision.
I know some of you will say that at 4 she still isnt able to make a valid decision, however, She is my daughter, no one knows her better than me and I wouldn't have let her have it done if I didnt think she really wanted it.

Are they seriously going to close up, even if we get them done say this weekend and then there is a good 9 weeks till secondary starts, then she could keep them in all the time, just remove between 8.30 - 3.00 on school days? Would this work does anyone think or is the "studs for 6 months" rule an unbreakable one?

Anybody know? This thread wasn't really a discussion on the whys and wherefores of how old your child should be etc etc - just trying to get a bit of information so hopefully I won't have a disappointed 11 year old at the weekend :hug:

The plastic keepers would work, she could have those in for school (they are so small the teachers wouldnt even know they were there) and put her earrings in after school and at weekends.
The holes can still be cleaned with the keepers in and they can also be trimmed down (length) so they are only just poking through the hole
hth's

I was just going to post about the plastic keepers that you can use :lol:

My daughters school is exactly the same, no jewellery what so ever and a lot of the girls use these "keepers" when they have their ears pierced.

You should be able to get them from most piercing studios.

To answer your other questions. I've never heard or seen having both ears pierced at the same time, but then I had mine done a very long time ago :lol: I would be concerned about wonky piercings if I'm honest with this method, but those are just my thoughts.

As for Claires... never had anything pierced with them, but I agree, I've walked past numerous Claires shops in my time and they always do the piercings in the window. Must admit, I don't like that....

My daughter had second holes pierced in her ear and they were giving her huge problems. They kept closing up even though she wore her studs and keepers.

So, she had them done again and now they seem fine. Most bizarre.

I remember when my daughter had her first lot of piercings done :lol:, she was 8, she jumped a bit and then ran away :lol: She wouldn't let them do her second ear even though she was the one that kept nagging and I told her it would hurt. I told her she would look silly with just the one ear done, she had a think and then came back for the second one.

She has since progressed to second ear piercings, a nose piercing (I'M NOT HAPPY WITH THIS !!) even though the actual "stud" is minute... you can barely see it and finally for her birthday this year, she had her belly button done.

I dread to think what she will have pierced next :eek: :eek:

M.

Thank you for all your replies :hug:

She has since progressed to second ear piercings, a nose piercing (I'M NOT HAPPY WITH THIS !!) even though the actual "stud" is minute... you can barely see it and finally for her birthday this year, she had her belly button done.

I dread to think what she will have pierced next :eek: :eek:

M.

lol, I think my mum is the same, I have 3 holes in each ear and I also have the little bit of the ear that is on the face (if you get what I mean) pierced, I am going to get the other side done too. Ive had my belly button done for ages, id like to get it done again too at the bottom

Ive also recently had 3 tattoos done, I think my mum is dreading what I am going to do next! (Just 2 more piercings and 2 tattoos- I promise!)

Plastic retainers can be bought from most good peircing studios, but people have reactions to some of them, so make sure there good quality ones if shes going to be wearing them so much. I wouldent recommend changing them to much though, they could get irritated. I worked in a studio for 2 years and saw alot of swollen angry earlobes.

My earlobes are both peirced and stretched, and both sides of my nose are peirced. One side has a ring, the other a stud, and I have three large tattoos. I'm still cute and unintimidating though so I don't think mom minds to much:green: .....oh, and I have blue hair.

Latest posts

Back