Advice needed to help me with beautician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawncbn

Reaction score
Hi, I bought my hair salon in December 2007. I spent a fortune on refurbishing it and putting in 2 beauty rooms. I intended to rent the room out to a beautician, (the other one is a shower and sauna). Anyhow to cut a long story short I heard a beautician was looking for some work closer to her home as her previous boss was selling up. I interviewed her and she looks the part etc. She didn't want to rent or be self employed but promised lots of clients, (as she was only 2 miles away this didn't seem unlikely). I took her on full time and she was also getting a split commission which was working out at an extra £40ish a week. Well, she has not been paying her way it has been costing me, the business to keep her and it was ridiculous paying commission when she was not covering her wages. The clients didn't materialise, a few did and picking up some from the hairdressing side. So after 3 months I took her to one side and said it had to stop. Either she had to pull her finger out and try her hardest to get more clients, go self employed or go on a part time basis. I had tears and no to all of the suggestions. I stopped the commission and said she had to be reasonable. I was under no obligation as the contract was on a 3 month trial. After lots of talking and trying to understand that yes, Rome was not built in a day, that she could go on for one more month and try harder. The last 3 weeks she has just covered her wages. I am now being asked to review things ie, when her wages are covered to take out the cost of treatments, I am being told things like a brow wax only costs me 10p full body massage 20p etc the list goes on!!!! so she wants a full contract and any remaining profit to be split 50/50 with her! I am at my wits end as there has been no profit what so ever since she started in March. I had to kit the room out at great expense......I could go on but I dont know what way to turn. I have spent all this money, I am a hairdresser not a beautician, its all new to me. But trying to find another beautician, its like hens teeth!! so help please. I really need to be able to go into work in the next couple of days armed with some good strong points to talk to her. So any advice from all you professional beauticians out there would be greatfuly received.:confused:

Hi there
Just read your post and what a sticky situation ;-s
I think there area few ways you can sort out this problem but you have to remember you are the boss and its YOUR beauty she just works in it.
Personally as bad as it sounds i would tell her last month went ok just ok as you almost hit par so again the next four weekss will be a tester and this time what profit you make will be split 25 75 and in this time advertise for a new beautician to be self employed to also take over an existing clientelle for an up and coming salon. Interview on her day off and advertise the position with a mobile number she doesnt connect to you so nothing comes back to the land line. when someone snaps it up the position i no longer availbale for her to work in the salon.

She sounds too big for her boots to be honest.
If she has no one in use her as a hairdressing junior to wash hair so at least you can fit more customers in and make some dollar off her. Just a thought.

I am sure other fellow geeks will be able to give you a few more ideas. I just like the ruthless options. Have opened my own salon recently and in 15 weeks i have fired 3 people due to incompetence and laziness. Forget her feelings, its your livlyhood at stake here! ;-) GOOD LUCK. Gem

Hi, I bought my hair salon in December 2007. I spent a fortune on refurbishing it and putting in 2 beauty rooms. I intended to rent the room out to a beautician, (the other one is a shower and sauna). Anyhow to cut a long story short I heard a beautician was looking for some work closer to her home as her previous boss was selling up. I interviewed her and she looks the part etc. She didn't want to rent or be self employed but promised lots of clients, (as she was only 2 miles away this didn't seem unlikely). I took her on full time and she was also getting a split commission which was working out at an extra £40ish a week. Well, she has not been paying her way it has been costing me, the business to keep her and it was ridiculous paying commission when she was not covering her wages. The clients didn't materialise, a few did and picking up some from the hairdressing side. So after 3 months I took her to one side and said it had to stop. Either she had to pull her finger out and try her hardest to get more clients, go self employed or go on a part time basis. I had tears and no to all of the suggestions. I stopped the commission and said she had to be reasonable. I was under no obligation as the contract was on a 3 month trial. After lots of talking and trying to understand that yes, Rome was not built in a day, that she could go on for one more month and try harder. The last 3 weeks she has just covered her wages. I am now being asked to review things ie, when her wages are covered to take out the cost of treatments, I am being told things like a brow wax only costs me 10p full body massage 20p etc the list goes on!!!! so she wants a full contract and any remaining profit to be split 50/50 with her! I am at my wits end as there has been no profit what so ever since she started in March. I had to kit the room out at great expense......I could go on but I dont know what way to turn. I have spent all this money, I am a hairdresser not a beautician, its all new to me. But trying to find another beautician, its like hens teeth!! so help please. I really need to be able to go into work in the next couple of days armed with some good strong points to talk to her. So any advice from all you professional beauticians out there would be greatfuly received.:confused:

I really do feel you're being a little unfair on her...why did you agree to take her on on a comission basis, when it's so new to you? Surely if you had worked out the maths beforehand, you would have seen that you would be likely to be out of pocket some weeks, if the work was slow? I feel it would have been better to pay her a basic wage for the first 3 months, and agree to discuss commission after this...

Unfortunately, beauty is a different ballgame to hairdressing, as I'm sure you have found out; clients will always need their hairdresser, as very few of us are talented enough to be able to cut and colour our own hair, and when we find someone we like, we tend to stick with them and be loyal. Beauty therapists I always feel have a slightly tougher time of it, being that most of the treatments we offer can somewhat be replaced by home waxing kits, razors, our partners pounding knots out of our backs at home, or painting our own nails. In short, when money is tight, as it is for everybody what with the looming recession, clients may cut back on what they view as "non essential expenditures"

What I am trying to say is that it's not necessarily your therapist's fault that she is having quiet days. It takes a while to build up a reputation, and while clients say they will follow, sometimes this doesn't happen. When I changed salons I had about 5 clients who followed me immediately...the others did follow me, but it took one lady over a year to come for an appointment!! Also, you cannot force people to come to your salon, they have their own minds, and their own reasons for following a therapist or staying put.

You say it's time she works harder and "pulls her finger out" to get more clients in, but what are you doing to help her? You obviously have an existing client base; are you telling every single client about your new beauty venture? Are you working with her to offer treatments at a discounted rate for an initial period? Have you put anything in the local paper? Held an open evening for her to introduce her and to allow clients to meet her? Taken every single client to view the new beauty rooms (When not in use) and put a price list in every single client's hands? Until you have done all these things, I don't feel you can tell her to pull her finger out. It is your business after all; she is your employee, and if I was in her shoes, I would be expecting my boss to do all she could do.

A lot of beauty treatments are fairly cheap to perform per treatment; I would say that 10p for an eyebrow wax actually isn't too far off the mark (If she's just talking about the cost of 2 tiny little bits of a wax strip, a quarter of a spatula and a tiny amount of wax...but obviously it won't cover electric, couch roll etc etc etc)

My advise would be to please give her longer to build up her client base, and please help her. It's all very well being a brilliant therapist, but if you don't know how to market yourself nobody will know about you. If you have any skills you can use to help her, your business will benefit from it.

Sorry if this post sounded a little harsh, it wasn't intended, but I don't quite know how else to put it!

Last edited:
HI, no its good to get the feedback, that is after all what I was asking for!
Yes to all of your suggestions. I had a big launch in March for the salon, at great cost. I have put an add in the paper with great emphasis on the beautician. I have printed leaflets and been out myself to put into peoples hands, doors, etc. I have pushed it without trying to be too pushy to the hairdressing clients. While I have done all these things she will just sit around, she will answer the phone. The other week when we had the "discussion", I went into her, (my), room and it needed a damned good cleaning. I was not too impressed by this, I would try to understand if she was rushed off her feet but when there are hardly any clients it just all seemed to much. And yes I did agree to basic wage plus commission as I was being foolish and wanted to try and recoup some of the money that i had laid out even though I knew that i would or could be out of pocket for the first few months. But I did say that I could only do that for so long as I am hardly keeping my head above water with all the other bills. I now wish that I had stayed with my smaller salon as that was a real cash cow without all of the headaches. The girls there got £10 an hour but then went on to 50/50 and were getting a really good deal. I am not a greedy person as I like everybody to be able to benefit from work but this is different.

Well it does sound as if you have done all you can to help her! Your first post didn't mention everything in it, but now looks like a more complete picture.

My initial thoughts would be to write down a list of everything you feel you can reasonably expect from her; that if she's not busy she's doing something pro-active in an attempt to get some more work (Eg, writing a mail shot to be sent to all your clients on your database, talking to clients in the salon etc); that her room is kept to the standard you expect etc etc etc..and agree with her a reasonable timeframe in which you expect to see results. If she doesn't keep up her end of the bargain after agreeing to it, you have fair reason to let her go.

With regards to the commission situation, I would withdraw all commission unless she brings in a certain amount...work out for yourself what she needs to take per week in order for you to pay her wages...and then pay her commission on anything she's earned that's above this. That's how I worked, and it always seemed fair to me. It would give her a reason to try to upsell her treatments, and something to push for. If you give commission on every single treatment it becomes something that is expected, rather than a nice bonus.

Another point I thought about, which would apply whether you keep her on or get another beauty therapist in...With regards to the treatments you offer in the beauty part of your salon, do you offer anything different? Is there a reason for clients to come to you rather than the salon down the road? It might be worth asking your therapist if there's anything she's not learned that she would like to be able to offer. It would mean you investing a little more into her (training), but if it's a 1 or 2 day course it wouldn't cost too much, and if it's something she's passionate about she might regain some enthusiasm! You could always ask her to cover the cost of it if she leaves/is let go X months after she's done the course...it might give you an edge over the competition too. Or perhaps something like the retail or marketing courses at the International Dermal Institute would put a rocket up her!! They're very inspiring and very cheap considering how good they are.

I think that's all the advise I can conjure up tonight, my screen is going blurry!! I think this is a difficult situation, especially because I can see both her point of view and yours. Good luck, let us know how it goes... X

Just an idea but does she do Indian Head Massage or Scalp Massage?

Perhaps you could offer a promotion to all your hairdressing clients to receive a free / half price one of these for every wash, cut & blowdry booked?

Alternatively offer a mini manicure for every colour booked? This could be done while their colour is "taking"?

This will give her the recognition and may bring in some additional clients and whilst they are relaxing and (hopefully) enjoying the "free treatment".

HTH:)

OK just a lateral thought..... Do you know any other Beauty Professionals personally? I know you are spending shed loads but I found a way to get socks pulled up was to get in another professional with other skills and a good client base and share the room for a couple of weeks. Its kill or cure. I also work as a "Mystery Shopper" for salons. Again if you know any pros get them to book in for a few treatments. Hope this helps!

There's loads of info there. I worked in 2 hairdressers and the mini mani whilst colour was developing was the best, it doesnt have to be free but some incentive for them to cross - or the other way book a facial & manicure n receive a free blow dry.
Commission wise my girls have to earn €1000 before they get comm. I think thats pretty standard as if they cant cover their wages what hope do I have for the rent?
do your maths
room + % of O'heads + Wages + Product + Advertising per mth x12 /52
I think you are asking alot of this girl - yes I understand the cleaning situation but thats down to you as a manager to manage her.
have a list of what she has to do point by point for when her clients come in, her duties should incl sweeping the floor in salon also, folding towels, and making tea. U may have a junior already so have them practice on each other that way they both share thesame chores.
Write her contract up incl all these points

is there a need for a shower n sauna in your salon? as if she leaves you'll have 2 empty rooms

is there a need for a shower n sauna in your salon? as if she leaves you'll have 2 empty rooms

I am thinking of moving the sauna and putting in spray tanning. I have had good advice here. The cleaning thing I meant was stuff like, used cotton pads left in the tray in the trolley, black marks left in the sink from eye dyes, wax pot not cleaned down etc. The floors are done by the juniors. Honestly I am trying to be fair but I just needed more advice.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back