Advice on Acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Envi

Reaction score
Last night I decided to be brave and have a try at lengthening the look of the nail bed on a nail biting client, as I'm fed up of seeing more white than nail bed. I applied clear performance tips (as I was afraid the white would show through the pink and I dont yet have natural). I applied my white at the free edge then applied my pink (neutral opaque), but as I normally do tips and overlay, I sweep the clear acrylic over the whole nail bed to smooth it out but obviously I couldn't do this with the opaque pink and had to be really careful not to drag it over the white, so my pink ended up being a bit lumpy and I had to file much more than I normally do to get it all even, but with a couple of the nails you could see the clear tips at the free edge as I'd obviously filed the white away. Should I have put on an even thicker coat of white, or should I have put on a coat of clear right over the whole nail to avoid filing the white too much? Also if I had used the white tips would this not have shown through as I could see after application that the opaque does have great coverage, any help or advice welcome as I have another nail biter tonight so would like to get it better this time. I have to say that apart from the above problems, the overall look was much better than too much white. thanks

Hi,

I would suggest to you to sculpt rather than tip a nail biter. You can extend the nail bed much easier and the nails will look much nicer.

hth x x

Another way to do this on a tip.
Is to use the reverse method.
Apply your clear or natural coloured tip, then instead od applying your product on the free edge first, start in zone 2.
Pick up a bead of your coverage powder and turn your brush 180 degrees so the flags are facing you and place your bead where you want the smile to be.
The shape of the brush will help it become a smile without too much work from you. Just press it out to the sides and fade it down the nail, then do your zone 3 bead to get full coverage,or some people would just use their normal pink powder in zone 3 if they have a good fade in zone 2.
Then you can apply your white butting it into the smile already there.
If at first you have a slight dip where the pink and white join don't panic just apply a bead of clear. after a while you won't have to do this.

If you want to keep on doing it zone 1 then 2&3 then you will just need to practise butting the pink into your smile line and not pulling any product over.
You can easily practise this on any spare tips you have. Just place your coverage bead a bit further back than normal so that when you press it it moves up to join the white, press out to the sides then smooth the product back the way towards zone 3 and not over the white. Again if you don't get it perfect at the join, a little bead of clear can save the day.

Once you have mastered what ever way you want to do this you wil find you will be extending practically every clients nailbeds....and charging extra for your expertise ;)

OK we all have different methods, but tipping a nail biter is perfectly acceptable, lasts just as long for the client and in my opinion is easier and quicker in this case for the technician and gives a better result than sculpting (from the work I've seen people do) on most clients of this type.

Yes, you can use white tips if you want and the CND coverage powders will masque it out.

You can apply in reverse or how you are doing and get a good result. Really the only thing I can see you're worried about is pulling the coverage powder over the white ... and so ... so what if you do??? If you see it happening just wipe it away and brush lightly back toward the eponychium to even out !! Where is the problem?? There isn't one. If you learn to press the bead firmly and then to brush lightly you won't drag it in the first place.

Try some practise on tips and you will soon get it and you will soon wonder how you did without Coverage powders for most of your clients!!

Thanks for the replies, I did wonder about sculpting but I'm not too confident doing that yet, so think I'll stick to tipping for the moment (one thing at time :eek:). I did manage to get them done without dragging the opaque over the white, it was just that I overfiled the white while trying to smooth out my "bumpy" pink, but will just keep trying, and will definitely get the practice hand and tips out to practice, I will have a try at the reverse application also as this sounds interesting. Thanks again for your helpful replies.
Carol

Latest posts

Back