Advice on marketing - vistaprint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcconnell1989

Reaction score
I have recently had a quote from a company called pukka communications a family member of one of my clients, thinking i might get a good price. he seemed lovely on the phone and really knew what he was talking about i've told him i wants business cards, booklet pricelists, vouchers and flyers so far so good.. untill he just emailed me the quote :eek: £250 just for logo, 500 business cards £145, 300 pricelists £350.. need i carry on?! there's no way i can afford all that and that is supposed to be including the 'family and friends discount' gees.

So i've been scanning the past threads and seen vistaprint mentioned a lot and their prices seem miles cheaper. Are they really good quality though for that price?! seems to good to be true, and is it worth getting them to design them all for me? save me time? would love to hear from anybody who knows anything about them. I hear what has been said about the freebies and the newsletter stuff but just wanted to know in general are they any good.

sorry for essay
sarah x

I use Vistaprint for everything except price lists. I find their quality is good and they are very flexible and easy to use without knowing anything about printing yourself. The offers are great because you can always stock up on bits & pieces cheaply. The only reason I do the price lists on my own computer is because I like the flexibility of being able to change things at short notice so just print off what I need short term. Vistaprints postcards are great for doing door to door leaflet drops and special offer flyers and I use their invitation or greeting cards for my gift certificates. I have appointment details printed on the back of the business cards so they are dual use and it is very rare I pay anything more than postage for these as they are regularly on offer.

Cheers,
Hazel

to get the best out of vprint is to only buy what the amount that they offer for free.

I get 250 biz cards, 100 postcards and 25 tri-fold leaflets, 1 pen, 10 gift vouchers (notecards) with envelopes, and it comes to approx £10-15 depending on the postage you choose.

That is fantastic value, but if you want more, you go back in, press edit, and re-order everything individually a few minutes later, you then again pay £10-15.

this way is time consuming, and to take advantage of the cheaper post and packaging needs some thinking ahead.

I have never ordered anything over what is the free allocated amount, but have placed 3 identical orders on the same day.

I use Vistaprint for everything except price lists. I find their quality is good and they are very flexible and easy to use without knowing anything about printing yourself. The offers are great because you can always stock up on bits & pieces cheaply. The only reason I do the price lists on my own computer is because I like the flexibility of being able to change things at short notice so just print off what I need short term. Vistaprints postcards are great for doing door to door leaflet drops and special offer flyers and I use their invitation or greeting cards for my gift certificates. I have appointment details printed on the back of the business cards so they are dual use and it is very rare I pay anything more than postage for these as they are regularly on offer.

Cheers,
Hazel

Thanks for that. thats a good idea for the business cards, i was thinking about that aswell but wasnt sure if you were allowed to do like a 2 in 1. do you design them yourself or do you pay for them to do it?

Thanks for that. thats a good idea for the business cards, i was thinking about that aswell but wasnt sure if you were allowed to do like a 2 in 1. do you design them yourself or do you pay for them to do it?
they have fab templates, and you add text, etc. You wu
ill pay extra for stuff on the back of your biz cards, you pay extra if you upload your own picture or logo, you pay extra for coloured inserts or backs, and personalised envelopes.

i ordered some postcards from vistaprint and they worked out to be £4.30 for 100 - i only had to pay for postage and vat...well worth it! they have some great templates, so you just add your own info as you want.

i would suggest choosing the slowest (cheapest) option for postage as it never takes as long as they say it will!

Hi I found this company in Freelancing matters mag
Printcarrier.com - the printing people [ALL WE DO IS PRINT]
Flyers start £24 for 1,000
leaflets £50 for 1,000
Check it out it's worth a look

I looked at this and other similar companies a while ago but was put off by having to design and upload the designs. Have you read their instructions? I don't know anything about CMYK colours or saturation or anything else about printing terms. It's ok being able to order bulk items cheaply but I think I will stick to vistaprint and their templates. If anyone knows of a company who does printcarrier's bulk prices but with vistaprints ease of use then please let me know :)

Cheers,
Hazel

I love vista print I have bought their postcards uploaded my photo and logo, they look very proffessional as do the business cards I do pay for the extra to have gloss card and I do have the appointment info on the back too so they double as app cards. If I'm going to pay for things I wait for a free delivery offer. I also have the decals on my car and have the three fold brouchres for my price lists too. and it's way cheaper than what you have been quoted hun

I looked at this and other similar companies a while ago but was put off by having to design and upload the designs. Have you read their instructions? I don't know anything about CMYK colours or saturation or anything else about printing terms. It's ok being able to order bulk items cheaply but I think I will stick to vistaprint and their templates. If anyone knows of a company who does printcarrier's bulk prices but with vistaprints ease of use then please let me know :)

Cheers,
Hazel
You need to be giving them an image of no less than 300 dpi (dots per inch) for the clarity of the image.
CMYK is short for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (Black).

Try to upload the clearest image possible.

hth's :green:

You need to be giving them an image of no less than 300 dpi (dots per inch) for the clarity of the image.
CMYK is short for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (Black).

Try to upload the clearest image possible.

hth's :green:

Yes, but we're not just talking about a photo type image upload here - we're talking about a leaflet design or business card design etc. This means using some type of desktop publishing program to design your item with text and pictures etc. Then you have to convert the whole document to a picture file (that's easy enough in publisher). You then have a file such as *.jpg but not using CMYK as computer programs tend to use RGB. How do you convert from RGB to CMYK and then each colour has to have a particular percentage density or something, and that is just the first couple of paragraphs of printing criteria. I don't really have time to figure it out so I'll still stick to Vistaprint and the like. Probably for the people in the know there is a simple computer program which designs in exactly the right format with no converting or editing needed to upload direct to a printer. Possibly even ms publisher does this if you know the right settings.

I do find I struggle at the moment to figure even the simplest of new things out because all I seem to think of is nails, nails nails :lol: If it was to do with nails I probably wouldn't have a problem :hug:

I thought the vistaprint prices for the 3 fold leaflet worrked out quite expensive compared to their other prices. I'm just going to do mine on the computer and it will allow me to change as I want to add new services, etc

I thought the vistaprint prices for the 3 fold leaflet worrked out quite expensive compared to their other prices. I'm just going to do mine on the computer and it will allow me to change as I want to add new services, etc

I thought they were pricey too which is why I always printed my own, but the other day I had an email offer for 25 free so I tagged them onto another order just to see what they came out like. I think for some occasions when you're trying to make a particularly good impression the proper printed ones are better. So, if they turn out very good I might invest in a few more.

Cheers,
Hazel

I love vista print I have bought their postcards uploaded my photo and logo, they look very proffessional as do the business cards I do pay for the extra to have gloss card and I do have the appointment info on the back too so they double as app cards. If I'm going to pay for things I wait for a free delivery offer. I also have the decals on my car and have the three fold brouchres for my price lists too. and it's way cheaper than what you have been quoted hun

Thanks for help. With your business cards/appoitments cards, do you have the gloss on both sides? I read a previous thread that said something about not been able to write on the gloss or something? Just wundered what you have.

Thanks, Sarah x

I thought they were pricey too which is why I always printed my own, but the other day I had an email offer for 25 free so I tagged them onto another order just to see what they came out like. I think for some occasions when you're trying to make a particularly good impression the proper printed ones are better. So, if they turn out very good I might invest in a few more.

Cheers,
Hazel

They are great ive had these and many other items and always been pleased,ive done an order today 250 business card,50 postcards,car door magnet,25 brouchures and paid just under £10 which was just the postage:green:

Hi

I'm just in process of having my logo and marketing material designed.. thought you right your prices do seem expensive.. getting logo done is costing me £60, 1000 double sided full colour business cards £100, and 2000 full colour, good quality box tri fold brochures was £365 - but im working on reducing this price a bit.

Hope this is helpful and if you want the details of my designer feel free to pm me.

i use vistaprint for everything except price lists. I find their quality is good and they are very flexible and easy to use without knowing anything about printing yourself. The offers are great because you can always stock up on bits & pieces cheaply. The only reason i do the price lists on my own computer is because i like the flexibility of being able to change things at short notice so just print off what i need short term. Vistaprints postcards are great for doing door to door leaflet drops and special offer flyers and i use their invitation or greeting cards for my gift certificates. I have appointment details printed on the back of the business cards so they are dual use and it is very rare i pay anything more than postage for these as they are regularly on offer.

Cheers,
hazel

hi there everyone who uses vistaprint i would be carefull although they are very good prices be carefull to untick one of the boxes that says something like do you want to be added to the vistaprint mailing list and recieve up to 90% off products, well i left this ticked as they already tick it for you and i noticed on my bank statement about 6 months later and they had been taking out £9.99 every month to something called clubprem!! I googled it and loads of other people had the same problem, i just complained and got my money back. So be careful to untick that box if you get anything from there. X

how do you only pay for postage and pakaging??..
very confused???.. if anyone could help thank x x x

how do you only pay for postage and pakaging??..
very confused???.. if anyone could help thank x x x

It will come with a offer via email after you have placed your first order.

Latest posts

Back