Advice on Shellac needed please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-sophisticutz-

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have only been using Shellac a few weeks and wondered if any more experienced users could answer a couple of questions. I have done a search first but have not found any results, however, I apologise if this is a repeated question. :)

When removing the inhibition layer with D-sperse is it normal to have some of the colour come off onto the pad? I use a lint free pad and use plenty of D-sperse. It doesn't seem to interfere with the finished result but I just wanted to check this out.

Also, when removing the dark colours, I have found that the colour has stained the nails. Now so far, it is only myself that has had the darker colours on, not clients. So, I only have my own experience to go by. I have just taken a set of enhancements off and applied the Shellac to my natural nails. I wondered if I had just applied the base coat too thin or whether it was because I had just soaked off a set of nails.

Thanks. :)

Im not a heavy shellac user but have used it a fair bit.

The colour coming off on the pad after d-sperse tends to be when the top coat hasnt completely covered all of the colour underneath. Even if a tiny bit has not been covered, with a tiny smudge on the pad, it can seem like a lot. Try to make sure you get the sides of the nails in particular, near the sidewalls, covered in top coat properly as this is usually the bit that gets missed.

The staining could be a similar problem with the base coat. It is ''Thin to win'' but it has to be a complete coverage of these two coats, not a thick coverage, but complete coverage.

I dont have any other ideas but I did notice and improvement in the smudging after improving my top coat technique.

Agree totally with skymark on the color coming off with the D-sperce is that you haven't covered fully with the top coat,

as for the staining I think this is from not using quite enough remover on the pad , add a Little more , make sure you get total coverage with the pad as well ,

this should do it :)

Yep ... Mizzy is right ... The colour is not staining your nails it is the base coat that is stained by the colour and you have not removed all of it sufficiently. D.Solve is the best remover I have used for Shellac ... use a sufficient amount of it to do the job.

Once my Magis wraps are on I take my pipette and add a little extra D.Solve to each wrap to make sure I have enough ... it works a treat and no need to remove the wraps or anything just poke the nozzle into the edge of the wrap and squeeze a little more in. :green:

Yep ... Mizzy is right ... The colour is not staining your nails it is the base coat that is stained by the colour and you have not removed all of it sufficiently. D.Solve is the best remover I have used for Shellac ... use a sufficient amount of it to do the job.

Once my Magis wraps are on I take my pipette and add a little extra D.Solve to each wrap to make sure I have enough ... it works a treat and no need to remove the wraps or anything just poke the nozzle into the edge of the wrap and squeeze a little more in. :green:

Thanks for that tip Geeg :green:

I'm just waiting for the base coat to come in then I'll be ordering the whole Shellac shebang :green: (I really want the salon rack)

Sarah. xx

Im not a heavy shellac user but have used it a fair bit

The staining could be a similar problem with the base coat. It is ''Thin to win'' but it has to be a complete coverage of these two coats, not a thick coverage, but complete coverage.

Have I read this right
Are you saying you put 2 coats of base?

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use one very thin coat of base , have never needed any more.
:)

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Have I read this right
Are you saying you put 2 coats of base?

Skymark may use two coats of base hun but you really shouldn't need to if you use the system properly.

:green:

Which means that the base coat hasn't been removed because there may not have been enough remover used. You shouldn't need 2 coats as the Shellac system is designed to only need one coat of base.

Hope this helps

Sarah. xx

:)Thank you for replying.

Latest posts

Back