Advice please! Gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

louhutt

Reaction score
My 5 year old daughter is deperate for me to do her nails using gels. I really don't know what do do! All the advice I have read so far is very conflicting and left me more confused than ever.

I have a LED lamp so her hands would be under the lamp for 45 seconds per layer and I would do a test nail to check for an allergic reaction although I do think this is unlikely for her as she does not appear to be allergic to anything. She doesn't have the patience to allow her nails to dry with normal polish so I thought this would be a good alternative.

She doesn't bite her nails and it would be a one off treat every now and again. I would certainly not be doing her nails on a weekly basis, just for special treats, birthdays, holidays etc.

I have seen professionals advertising gel nails parties for girls but I really could do with your advice.

Thanks in advance.

I'd worry she'd pick the gel off and damage her nails doing so. That's why I won't put shellac onto my 9 year old nieces nails, even though she's desperate! I just know she'd sit and pick at it!

What about some vinylux? Or using a quick dry topcoat over normal polish?

Rx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Why not buy some CND Vinylux from your local approved salon or tech?

It's dry in 8.5minutes so you wouldn't need to worry about her smudging it and it can be removed using polish remover, saving her nails and little hands from acetone and harsher removers.

If you head to lovecnd.com and type in your postcode, the nearest approved retailer will pop up.

Please do NOT apply any enhancement to a CHILD.
I refuse point blank to do anyone under the age of 16 ( or legal age) however as her mother you have parental right to do so.
Besides the legal issue which is resolved as you are her mum.
There is a health issue as to why one would not apply gel or any enhancement to a child, untill they reached puberty.

I don't say this to be nasty or make you feel bad. If you look at the nail plate of a 5 years old and an adult the texture and feel is different. A child has a waxy texture almost. We don't.
With the buffing on a 5year old nail is not good firstly secondly the use on unnecessary chemical and the fact kids put their hands in their mouths a lot.
I would not use vinyl ex either.
Perhaps a regular polish once in a while for fun but certainly not gel.

The gel can cause damage to your daughter nail plate and as she might also play and create or lift enhancement and dirt or water gets underneath by time you remove it you could have a mould or something.

I just personally would say no.

Beauty at your finger tips!

I would not recommend performing gel nails if you have no training or qualifications.

A test nail would be pointless, if you are going to be applying it without any knowledge then you will most likely build up a reaction.

I would go for Vinylux as said above. Xx

Edit : just read its on your 5 year old. Please don't put gel nails on a 5 year old. If she peels them off she will do damage. What's wrong with a normal glitter polish?

I would not use vinyl ex either.
Perhaps a regular polish once in a while for fun but certainly not gel.

Vinylux is a regular polish...

Thanks everyone.

I have read so many posts on this and still do not have a clear idea of what to do. It is 50/50 as to whether or not it would be ok.

The only reason I am even contemplating this is that she does not bite or pick at her nails. If she did then it would be a definate no.

There is nothing wrong with using normal nail polish but she is to impatient for it to sit and dry properly which she would still have to do even if she used a quick drying top coat.

I should say that I would not consider acrylics as I think these would be extremely dangerous on her but I really can't see the issue with doing gels. I am not a professional by any means and would not try and pretend to be one. Hence asking for your advice!

Thanks for the replies from you all, I appreciate your advice and I will let you know what we come up with.

xx

Also removal worries me!

Thanks everyone.

I have read so many posts on this and still do not have a clear idea of what to do. It is 50/50 as to whether or not it would be ok.

The only reason I am even contemplating this is that she does not bite or pick at her nails. If she did then it would be a definate no.

There is nothing wrong with using normal nail polish but she is to impatient for it to sit and dry properly which she would still have to do even if she used a quick drying top coat.

I should say that I would not consider acrylics as I think these would be extremely dangerous on her but I really can't see the issue with doing gels. I am not a professional by any means and would not try and pretend to be one. Hence asking for your advice!

Thanks for the replies from you all, I appreciate your advice and I will let you know what we come up with.

xx

She'd have to sit for a total of 16 minutes under a lamp (based on base coat; 2 x colour coats and 1 x top coat)!

Vinylux dries in half that time - no brainer - and better for the health of your daughter's nails.

As you can see, all professionals here are recommending Vinylux or a similar quick drying polish.

It's going to be quicker, easier and healthier for your daughters nails - what is it you're still 50/50 on and maybe we can help a bit more?!

If you're not a professional then why are you even attempting it?!

Just because she asks for them doesn't mean you have to let her! There is a word "no". As you aren't a professional you haven't got a clue about over exposure, allergic reactions etc and the damage you could cause trying to remove gels.

vinylux nail polish dries very quickly and is much more suitable for little girls, not gel polish.

Just gobsmaked really

She is five years old for goodness sake

You are not trained yet you are thinking of putting chemicals which you have no knowledge of on your five year old daughter

Sorry but this is a disaster waiting to happen

There are plenty of ways you can pretty her nails without professional products .
If she will not sit still for polish to dry why not try a little pretty nail art painting. Much better

I am sorry if I seem a bit harsh but I find it hard to understand why you would want to put any enhancement product on your daughter

I totally agree, why on earth would you even consider this? I am a qualified professional with many years experience and I will not even apply gel polish to my 13 year old daughter, let alone her 6 year old sister!
I use Vinylux and we often have a girly night and they love choosing their color and testing my nail art abilities!
As a mother, and a professional, I am shocked you would even entertain such an idea!
Believe me, the dangers to your child should you take such a risk far out way the few tears you may get simply by saying No!
Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

She is 5 years old not 25.

Let her be a child for a bit longer eh?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Vinylux is a regular polish...

Yes thank you Hun , as a nail tech I do know what vinylex is however it isn't suitable for a 5year old. Is what my previous post ment to say.
Due to various reasons.

At end the day it's entirely up to her mum what she does on her daughter.

Yes thank you Hun , as a nail tech I do know what vinylex is however it isn't suitable for a 5year old. Is what my previous post ment to say.
Due to various reasons.

Regular nail polish is perfectly suitable for young girls. We have been painting our nails as long as I can remember.
Gel anything isn't!

To the OP.
I am a professional. I gave into my daughter's wishes when she was 7.
Not a good idea. Believe me, it is way more frustrating than applying even the slowest of drying nail polishes.
Not to mention the possibility for allergic reactions or damage to their nail plates.
Either way, young children produce so much more oil than adults that their "fake" nails don't last.
Let her cry and say No. It IS okay to say No :) We have to be parents, not their friends.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

I have a 6 yr old and she would love me to do her nails ALL THE TIME if she had her way! But even as a nail tech I still only do it as a treat! I would NEVER consider enhancements on someone so young, and only ever put a regular nail polish on her finger nails. Although I did shellac my daughters TOES over 2wks ago with a little foil too, (as a special treat!) it's still perfect,considering she swims & does gymnastics twice a wk!! Ultimately the decision is yours as a parent, but there is obviously a little doubt in your mind, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for advice as what to do for the best, sometimes you do have to say no, as it's for the best! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Due to various reasons.

Why isn't vinylux suitable but a normal polish is? They are both the same thing.

I don't want to get into a debate on this thread. Just sticking to the topic which the user asked a question and I gave my personal opinion.
We don't all have the same view or beliefs which is what makes everyone unique and different.
Doesn't mean I am right and everyone is wrong or visa versa.
Have a good night x

Thanks everyone.

xx

You say acrylics would be extremely dangerous. Can I just throw in that gel is made of the same chemicals as acrylics.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back