Advice please - gift voucher with no expiry date - where do I stand?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMMA AT ELITE

Reaction score

Hello All,

For christmas my Mum bought me a gift voucher for a pedicure,
I still have the voucher and am planning on having the pedicure before I go away in July.
My Mum keeps on saying I only have til March 25th to use it as that is the 3 months time up, as when she bought it they said it last for 3 months.
My argument is there is no expiry date on the gift voucher to say it only last the 3 months!!!!
Am I in the right - can I just use the voucher when I want ie July? as there is nothing to state on the voucher when it expiries!
Or is it enough to say to the person buying the voucher it last 3 months?

Would it be bad/ wrong to go along in July, have the pedicure then when it comes to paying just hand over the voucher, and if they say its expired, say there is nothing to state a date on the voucher any expiry date so therefore you cant say that!!!

I know this may sound a bit pettie but I want to know where I stand?

Any advice or help would be fantastic.
I feel very confused!
I dont mean to sound ungratful but; To make matters worse it is in the local chinese nail shop (nss) and their pedicures are so quick and with no massage. :sad:

Emma x:hug:x

If there is no date on the voucher then they don't really have a leg to stand on. I would personally give them a call and explain the situation and say you would like to book now but don't want the treatment till july. As a salon owner i have still accepted gift vouchers after they have expired as it's good customer service and a bit petty not to accept it a few days after it has expires.
I have quite a few clients who come in wanting to change a voucher. Men will 9 times out of 10 buy a voucher for a woman and have either a facial or massage on them!
I get the women coming in wanting to change them as they usually want something else and i always change it. I really don't see a problem with it but i know a few salons round my way will not change their vouchers.
If the salon has any sense then they will be fine as you are a potential new customer.
I usually find that if shop owners are funny with me over anything then a 'ooh wait till i tell everyone that', usually does the trick!!

Call them up and ask, if it is their policy and they did tell your mum then there's no point in just waiting to see what happens on the day. I would call them and tell them your mum gave you a voucher and it has no expiry date so can you book in for July. :hug: If they say they can't do that then that's fair enough as they did tell your mum when she brought the voucher and they were obviously clear about it as she remembered the date they told her. I wouldn't get too upset as at least then you know where you stand and can still have the treatment.

If they said at the time of purchase that it only lasted three months and they displayed a sign saying gift vouchers sold now are only valid until 25th march, then that is the date it is valid till irrespective that it is not on the voucher itself. However going in/phoning them to book your appointment and explaining the situation before then should sort it out.

All we can do here on site is tell you legalities of it all...that said there have been opposing views already about that.;)

Therefore the ONLY people who can answer your question are the staff in the salon the voucher is for.
Phone them up and ask.

To be honest though it does actually seem a bit petty, as you don't even seem to want to go there to get the pedicure done anyway.
So why not use the voucher before the 25th March, and book a luxurious pedicure with massage somewhere else before your holiday. :idea:

I don't want to take this thread off topic but can I also say that just because the staff are of south east Asian appearance it does not mean they are Chinese.........I am of european appearance and I would hate for anyone to call me English!!:eek: :lol: ....no self respecting Scot would!!

So if it is a NSS salon just call it that, especially as there are plenty excellent nail technicians out there from South East Asia, who don't need to always be linked with NSS. IMHO.

To be honest though it does actually seem a bit petty, as you don't even seem to want to go there to get the pedicure done anyway.
So why not use the voucher before the 25th March, and book a luxurious pedicure with massage somewhere else before your holiday. :idea:

I don't want to take this thread off topic but can I also say that just because the staff are of south east Asian appearance it does not mean they are Chinese.........I am of european appearance and I would hate for anyone to call me English!!:eek: :lol: ....no self respecting Scot would!!

So if it is a NSS salon just call it that, especially as there are plenty excellent nail technicians out there from South East Asia, who don't need to always be linked with NSS. IMHO.

Thank you all for your advice,
I will call them tomorrow, and explain.

Sorry for sounding petty!

Just to let you know, I am fully aware that because anyone may be of south east asian appearence it doesnt mean they are chinese, BUT in this case I know for fact that they are chinese!!!!!
I want to clear this up as I would hate anyone to think (like you have just done) that I was being ignorent.

In the future like you said I will just say NSS!!

Emma x

Last edited by a moderator:
we are all saying 'legally'....but to be honest a sensible practictioner would simply honour it and be done; it maintains the good will and is the proper way to behave. Yes, they should have included a back stop date (and will propbaly do so going forward), but as for going legal - that is daft talk, it is quite hard to substantiaite given that they included a 3 month window, would incur large costs for everyone as the legal bods argue it out. . . that's just silly, using a sledgehammer to crack an egg. If they really stick to their guns, a more effective way (and cheaper!), would be to threaten with the local press, who jump at this sort of thing, or trading stadards perhaps - either way the threat is nearly always enough

Hopefully they will realise their mistake and just honour the thing

I would be facscinated to hear the outcome- as a lawyer (!) I always say that there is no point being right if you're dead- in other words avoid us at all costs and do as other posters here have suggested and give them a ring. The advice from BABTAC is spot on

Thank you all for your advice,
I will call them tomorrow, and explain.

Sorry for sounding petty!

Just to let you know, I am fully aware that because anyone may be of south east asian appearence it doesnt mean they are chinese, BUT in this case I know for fact that they are chinese!!!!!
I want to clear this up as I would hate anyone to think (like you have just done) that I was being ignorent.

In the future like you said I will just say NSS!!

Emma x

Thanks for clarifying that..........how have you got on, have you contacted the salon about the voucher yet?

Tonight I gave the voucher to my Mum, she will have the pedicure done in the next few days.

I tried calling and they couldnt understand what I was saying, so thought it would be easier to just give it to my Mum.

Emma x

They probably didn't have a clue that it had expired or not expired as the case may be lol!

Latest posts

Back