Advice please, Spa Mani and Pedi certificates don't count?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bombinigirl said:
I agree,

I have done the Spa Mani & Pedi course and believe it to be product training only and an introduction into the "creative" pedicure as opposed to the standard one taught at college.

Having done an nvq in beauty therapy at college i don't see how the spa course could be a qualification as it covers no anatomy and phsiology etc.
In the Masters Spa Mani and Pedi courses you DO cover anatomy re skin layers, bones, muscles and ligaments and you need to know ALL the ingredients in the products and what each one does. You have to do a written exam on each one and also have to do a practical exam where you perform a mani and pedi on a model.

Do u need a qualification in manicure to get on this course then? That would make more sense... if you had the qualification to begin with but then went on to get product training... or am I wrong?

nailsbydesign said:
In the Masters Spa Mani and Pedi courses you DO cover anatomy re skin layers, bones, muscles and ligaments and you need to know ALL the ingredients in the products and what each one does. You have to do a written exam on each one and also have to do a practical exam where you perform a mani and pedi on a model.

Thank you for that Marilyn xx

CadenceAlex said:
Do u need a qualification in manicure to get on this course then? That would make more sense... if you had the qualification to begin with but then went on to get product training... or am I wrong?
I just did the induction spa mani & pedi with Creative (had done a mani course but NOT pedi before) and then went on to do the Masters SPa mani and pedi classes and I am booked to take my Masters qualification exam in October

nailsbydesign said:
I just did the induction spa mani & pedi with Creative (had done a mani course but NOT pedi before) and then went on to do the Masters SPa mani and pedi classes and I am booked to take my Masters qualification exam in October

Surely they wouldnt let you do this if it was only for product knowledge as you wouldnt have a valid pedi qualification

On the Creative Academy website it says the following

"The CreativeSpa® Induction course is designed for professional nail technicians expanding into natural nail care. Throughout this one-day course, emphasis is spent on deeper understanding of anatomy and physiology, basic manicuring and basic pedicuring. This course is essential to build upon your foundation knowledge and understanding as a professional nail technician, to offer the core elements of natural nail care"

So I would expect that you would have to have the Foundation level knowledge or equivalant first. Likewise, I should also imagine that even if you have trainiend in manicure/pedicure but haven't actually performed a pedicure, you are at least qualified to recognise nail disease and anatomy.

Zingara said:
On the Creative Academy website it says the following

"The CreativeSpa® Induction course is designed for professional nail technicians expanding into natural nail care. Throughout this one-day course, emphasis is spent on deeper understanding of anatomy and physiology, basic manicuring and basic pedicuring. This course is essential to build upon your foundation knowledge and understanding as a professional nail technician, to offer the core elements of natural nail care"

So I would expect that you would have to have the Foundation level knowledge or equivalant first. Likewise, I should also imagine that even if you have trainiend in manicure/pedicure but haven't actually performed a pedicure, you are at least qualified to recognise nail disease and anatomy.

Thankyou lyndsay, That explains more. I have just been looking through my folio and it says

What you learn

health safety and sanitation
natural nail anatomy
basic manicuring
basic pedicuring
basic massage techniques
natural nail enamel application

So I would say that THIS IS a mani/pedi qualification

scattyfox said:
The Spa Manicure and pedicure course is just a product led course so this makes it an induction into spa products. This allows you to buy the products and know how to use them.

To do manicure and pedicure teatments in a salon you need a separate qualification stipulating the fact that it is a manicure or pedicure certificate then you are covered by your insurance.
thats what i thought was the case!!

~shelley~ said:
thats what i thought was the case!!

but then how can they say all the above then if its just for products

loualarta said:
but then how can they say all the above then if its just for products
im just saying hun thats what i thought (what scatty said) just cos of how my educator explained it on my foundation course xx

~shelley~ said:
im just saying hun thats what i thought (what scatty said) just cos of how my educator explained it on my foundation course xx

Its really odd. its like the folio and website and what people have been told contradict(sp) one another weres an educator whenyou need one lol

I've done a few Creative inductions now - after training elsewhere initially, and at each one, I've been told the H&S, anatomy and basic techniques are brought in as a refresher and update, and I would agree that they have not been in depth enough to consider as full basic training.

I've just referred to my Folio and at the beginning, where it describes Induction courses, it says...

"For those with a recognised level of training wishing to start using our famous systems, or those Foundation graduates looking to expand into other systems..."

I think this makes it clear that you require basic training in nail anatomy, health and safety and basic prep and care to go onto an induction course.

Interesting thread this, as clients were talking about this in my salon today, apparently it had been on radio. To do nail enhancements at college we had to have vtct, nvq or City and Guilds in nail treatments (manicure and pedicure)Certificate before we could enrol.

I do have a friend that works at Ragdale Hall, and although she has done their training in massage, nail treatments, etc she has also had to go to college to get reconginsed certificates in order to get her own insurance.

Zingara said:
I've just referred to my Folio and at the beginning, where it describes Induction courses, it says...

"For those with a recognised level of training wishing to start using our famous systems, or those Foundation graduates looking to expand into other systems..."

I think this makes it clear that you require basic training in nail anatomy, health and safety and basic prep and care to go onto an induction course.

So having done my foundation before I did this course does that count.

loualarta said:

I would say yes.

loualarta said:

Does the foundation course cover anatomy etc? I know my insurance company would not cover me for mani/pedi if I had only done a product company training. They wouldnt class it as a full mani/pedi qualification

ok so now I'm confused!

I have completed the Creative 5 day Foundation and have NO other beauty/mani/pedi qualifications. I have completed the Spa Introduction course on the understanding that I am now qualified to complete (and charge for) these services on customers. If this is NOT the case - then why did i bother doing the course in the first place??? Are we saying I am qualified to do these or I am not?

Help :confused:

I'll put my two pennies worth in now.

I understood that the Mani & Pedi courses with Creative were only to learn how to use the products, since they are Creatives products.

I've always thought that you were to already have your qualification from, say College, NVQ etc 1st before doing this course.

So far I've not done the courses with Creative as I have been trained already at college how to do Mani's and Pedi's.

As everyone says, where's and educator when you need one to clarify things!

the foundation covers nail anatomy and manicure. I was led to believe when i did the spa induction i would be qualified to perform these sevices . We covered anatomy and massage etc so i dont see how this is just product training

Latest posts

Back