Advice please, Spa Mani and Pedi certificates don't count?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I trained for a year at college in beauty therapy and a year for massage and got a nvq 2 qualification, and as most people who have done it will tell you it's no picnic!!
I was always told that in order to work in a salons you would need to have NVQ3!! as standard. I have been working from home for 3 years as I didn't like the way salons treat staff and block book clients in back to back.

Now I want to train in nail enhancements and training for only 2,3 or 4 days doesn't fill me with confidence, but that is what is on offer so I have to accept it. Personally I don't believe just having product knowlege with a company is enough to be competant to work on clients and college first is best.

Sorry if People don't agree with me, but it is only my view

As of yet there is no standard of qualification for salons, but IMO salons will accept you if you have a good level of training. As for training as with everything it is down to the competence of the educator. if you pick a reputable company you will do your training then go away and work at it(as you do at college) and if having any problems then do a workshop of some sort to iron out your problems. Product companies know best how their products works and manipulates so giving you the best advantage with that product. Colleges can teach you with any product and seem to be behind in what they teacha dn how they teach, many of their methods are outdated due t the fact a lot of nail teachers are beauty therapists and just did one system many years ago.

Changes are being made at present with HABIA and we wait to see what the future holds for us all.

As of yet there is no standard of qualification for salons, but IMO salons will accept you if you have a good level of training. As for training as with everything it is down to the competence of the educator. if you pick a reputable company you will do your training then go away and work at it(as you do at college) and if having any problems then do a workshop of some sort to iron out your problems. Product companies know best how their products works and manipulates so giving you the best advantage with that product. Colleges can teach you with any product and seem to be behind in what they teacha dn how they teach, many of their methods are outdated due t the fact a lot of nail teachers are beauty therapists and just did one system many years ago.

Changes are being made at present with HABIA and we wait to see what the future holds for us all.
Thanks for that, I wasn't having a moan it's just that I am worried about spending loads and signing up with the wrong company and making a mistake. I'm good at that, making the wrong choices.

Helenx

Am I missing the point here?? How on earth can you be good enough to perform a manicure and pedicure when you have only received training for a day. Did this teach you how to recognise nail disorders and contra indications, do you know what to do with a diabetic client or one that has an allergic reaction to your products??
Not getting at you personally but this really rubs me up the wrong way. I take great exception to Nailholics comments and have told her so. its an insult to those of us who have taken the time and money to go to college and get a recognised qualification or NVQ instead of a quick fix.
As I understood it most quality companies require you to have a proper qualification in mani and ped before you can train in enhancements so that you can recognise contra-indications etc.
Most quality insurance companies will not ask to see your qualifications when you take out cover but would need to see proof of a recognised qualification in the event of a claim so you will defo have to check with your insurers. I used to be a senior, commercial underwriter in a previous life so know a lot about professional indemnity cover.
Hope my comments have not affended you personally but I do wish the industry would sort this kind of misunderstanding out once and for all as a "certificate of attendance" is not usually recognised by insurers.
Charlotte :irked:

Thanks for that, I wasn't having a moan it's just that I am worried about spending loads and signing up with the wrong company and making a mistake. I'm good at that, making the wrong choices.

Helenx

Helen your not the only one, i think at some point all of us have made choices that in hindsight could have been better.

As for the other comments, i quite agree that not all can be learnt in one day but that is why you have workshops and skillsbuilding classes exactly for what you need to learn. With creative we learn a lot of theory on the foundation and even more on the premasters, lots of anatomy and physiology as well in your spa masers for manicure and pedicure. My orignal manicure course was very basic but we did learn about contractions and indications, diseases, structure of the anil plate, different medical conditions etc but it was down to me to read it and learn it and learn more on top.

So..... what's the answer to my question? :rolleyes:

So..... what's the answer to my question? :rolleyes:

They will answer your questions and this is where you should have directed them from the get go ... not to peeps on the site.:rolleyes:

They will answer your questions and this is where you should have directed them from the get go ... not to peeps on the site.:rolleyes:

Yes you're quite right a phone call is in order but I was following on from Babyshakes who was enquiring about be self employed/mobile and not working in a salon. As there are a lot of people in this situation I didn't think it was out of place to ask the question as its something we do need to know. It was a spur of the moment query as I was reading through the posts because I'm about to try and enrol on some sort of pedicure training.

I just thought someone would have been able to clear it up thats all but yes I'll phone Designer Nails on Monday and hopefully get the answers I need.

Anyone requiring answers from the Creative Nail Academy can ring the Creative Nail Academy on:

0113 275 0433

This is the Nail Geek site and not the Creative Nail Academy on line.

Anyone requiring answers from the Creative Nail Academy can ring the Creative Nail Academy on:

0113 275 0433

This is the Nail Geek site and not the Creative Nail Academy on line.
But surely this is an open forum that we can ask any questions and get help from other geeks ....does this mean we cant ask ANYTHING that is concerning CND and its products, that we need to phone Hyperion for EVERY query we have???? If so, surely this should apply to All the questions we might have about products from all the main nail product companies.

the argument of which is best _ college or private course_ has been going for a long time.
im going to take off my educator hat and put on my salon owner of 20 yrs hat.
if a prospective member of staff came to me for a place in my salon, i would of course look at their C.V., but more importantly, i would get them to do a trade test.
the results of the trade test would carry more wieght than the info on the C.V.
when interviewing, i combine several aspects, as i said, as well as C.V and test, i would b looking at their personality and their appearance, all that u would expect in an interview.
in my experience, over the last 5-10 yrs as nail education has evolved, i have witnessed a lot of students leaving college apparently qualified, but give up very quickly because of a lack of post graduate training and support. also, as previous posts have pointed out, the teachers in some colleges are beauty therapists that can assess the theory of nails, but struggle to give decent demos as they havent worked commertially as a nail tech.
also, the classes can reach numbers as high as 30 pupils.

all of these points are made from personal knowlege as i have visited local colleges at their request to beef up the knowlege of the tutors.
i could go on and on about negatives of learning in a college envoirment, but ultimately, not all colleges are the same and not all students come out lacking in skills and confidence.
all i do know is there are definate advantages and disadvantages of taking the longer route rather than the intense one.
if you add up the hours that a stand alone nail course gives you and when you take into consideration that the no's in the classroom differ by up to 5 times the amount in private courses., it can explain why most students feel as thou they have had equal amounts of education.

we are not all the same, we all need to research the best route for us as an individual.

But surely this is an open forum that we can ask any questions and get help from other geeks ....does this mean we cant ask ANYTHING that is concerning CND and its products, that we need to phone Hyperion for EVERY query we have???? If so, surely this should apply to All the questions we might have about products from all the main nail product companies.

What I ACTUALLY said was ...
"Anyone requiring answers from the Creative Nail Academy can ring the Creative Nail Academy on: 0113 275 0433"

I never mentioned product queries about which many geeks on the site are very well trained and competent to give answers.

In my experience on this site, geeks who give out information regarding the Creative Nail Academy and its classes invariably cause confusion. To avoid confusion it is best to ring the Academy help line. That makes sense to everyone else now does it not?

the argument of which is best _ college or private course_ has been going for a long time.
im going to take off my educator hat and put on my salon owner of 20 yrs hat.
if a prospective member of staff came to me for a place in my salon, i would of course look at their C.V., but more importantly, i would get them to do a trade test.
the results of the trade test would carry more wieght than the info on the C.V.
when interviewing, i combine several aspects, as i said, as well as C.V and test, i would b looking at their personality and their appearance, all that u would expect in an interview.
in my experience, over the last 5-10 yrs as nail education has evolved, i have witnessed a lot of students leaving college apparently qualified, but give up very quickly because of a lack of post graduate training and support. also, as previous posts have pointed out, the teachers in some colleges are beauty therapists that can assess the theory of nails, but struggle to give decent demos as they havent worked commertially as a nail tech.
also, the classes can reach numbers as high as 30 pupils.

all of these points are made from personal knowlege as i have visited local colleges at their request to beef up the knowlege of the tutors.
i could go on and on about negatives of learning in a college envoirment, but ultimately, not all colleges are the same and not all students come out lacking in skills and confidence.
all i do know is there are definate advantages and disadvantages of taking the longer route rather than the intense one.
if you add up the hours that a stand alone nail course gives you and when you take into consideration that the no's in the classroom differ by up to 5 times the amount in private courses., it can explain why most students feel as thou they have had equal amounts of education.

we are not all the same, we all need to research the best route for us as an individual.

I agree with Liza here, i haven't done a huge number of courses myself, but i have been to some local colleges (not private nail/beauty colleges) and been amazed at the number of students - well over 30, with 1 tutor and some pupils in a separate room from the tutor, pupils not being timed for assessments (even though they were on a time limit) etc etc How can 1 tutor watch over 30 pupils doing assessments at the same time?

This is just my personal opinion of what i have seen, and i am sure this is just a minority of colleges.

I agree with Liza here, i haven't done a huge number of courses myself, but i have been to some local colleges (not private nail/beauty colleges) and been amazed at the number of students - well over 30, with 1 tutor and some pupils in a separate room from the tutor, pupils not being timed for assessments (even though they were on a time limit) etc etc How can 1 tutor watch over 30 pupils doing assessments at the same time?

This is just my personal opinion of what i have seen, and i am sure this is just a minority of colleges.
Thankfully I think very much the minority.I along with many others would not be happy at all being in a class of over 30 pupils or anywhere near this number.
In fact I was in a class of 12.We were very much watched and timed.
Indeed I will go out on a limb and say that most of us failed several times before we got a pass on each of our assessments.
I know all colleges differ and I was fortunate to be in one of the top colleges in the South.With lecturers that have written level 2 and 3 beauty therapy books.
Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of rubbish colleges out there with rubbish lecturers and rubbish courses.:irked:

Latest posts

Back