Advice please, Spa Mani and Pedi certificates don't count?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All sounds a bit confusing to me!! If it helps, (prob not) the beauty academy that I trained in does a creative spa mani and pedi course, but you are not allowed to go on it if you do not have a mani/pedi qualification like vtct/nvq etc. They also do the creative l+p course, but again you have to have a mani/pedi certificate. They discribe it on their prospectus as "product knowledge and procedure to use the creative spa range". Probably best to phone creative to clarify.

cabinkel said:
All sounds a bit confusing to me!! If it helps, (prob not) the beauty academy that I trained in does a creative spa mani and pedi course, but you are not allowed to go on it if you do not have a mani/pedi qualification like vtct/nvq etc. They also do the creative l+p course, but again you have to have a mani/pedi certificate. They discribe it on their prospectus as "product knowledge and procedure to use the creative spa range". Probably best to phone creative to clarify.

That I understand - I had to do the 5 day foundation for L&P as opposed to just the conversion or introduction as I had no other nail qualifications, but they then lead you to believe that you are qualified to go on to do all of their other courses and of course perform these services on clients. So - you can do the creative spa mani and pedi course if you either have a VTCT OR you have done the 5 day foundation....? :confused:

I think its fairly clear that this comes under the many times discussed rule of 'yes' you can go on and do it, if you have either completed a Creative Foundation or have previously (over 6 months previously) completed recognised training elsewhere . A VTCT IS deemed as recognisable traning, as is NVQ2 and other manufacturer foundation course.

It really isn't that complicated or confusing if you check your Creative Nail Academy Folio.

im confused now too!!
i did 5DFC without any prior training - followed by spa man/ped. i thought this was a quallification?? x

this thread is getting so confusing, i am just about to finish my foundation l&p and am in the same postion as i want to do mani and pedi. As it happens i am going to creative in leeds tomorrow anyway and am thinking while i am there i will speak to diane and put a thread on what i managed to find out.

tonilee said:
this thread is getting so confusing, i am just about to finish my foundation l&p and am in the same postion as i want to do mani and pedi. As it happens i am going to creative in leeds tomorrow anyway and am thinking while i am there i will speak to diane and put a thread on what i managed to find out.

Oooh yes please do let us all know!!!

I think the thing to do would be to speak to someone at Creative. If it turns out that the course did qualify you for mani /pedi have them put it in writing.
Not all companies do things the same way & employers are not always going to know what certificates from different companies qualify you for.

babyshakes said:
That I understand - I had to do the 5 day foundation for L&P as opposed to just the conversion or introduction as I had no other nail qualifications, but they then lead you to believe that you are qualified to go on to do all of their other courses and of course perform these services on clients. So - you can do the creative spa mani and pedi course if you either have a VTCT OR you have done the 5 day foundation....? :confused:

I am in the middle of my 5 day foundation course and doing the Spa mani/pedi immediately afterwards. Creative told me (and my educator confirmed) that I could not do themani/pedi until I had done the 1st 3 days of the foundation where all the diseases, anatomy, Health & Safety, hygiene etc were covered.

After that I could do the Spa course and this would entitle me to carry out mani/pedi on the public & that the insurance(bought on the course) would cover me

When i did my Spa mani/pedi course recently, i was only taught how to use the products, no anatomy, health and safety, contra-indications etc.
I was asked to bring a copy of my other certificates with me to the course.

Rach said:
When i did my Spa mani/pedi course recently, i was only taught how to use the products, no anatomy, health and safety, contra-indications etc.

I'm the same as Rachel.

When I enquired about the Spa Mani / Pedi course, I was told that it's a product based course and that I need to have prior mani / pedi training. I just completed my VTCT Mani / Pedi course at the time and this was accepted by Creative. They also mentioned that if I had done the Foundation course previously, that would also count towards doing the Spa Course.

As there is no A&P being taught on the Spa course and it is product based, you really do need to have a previous qual in Mani / Pedi's or have done the Foundation course to understand how to perform a manicure / pedicure.

Marlise

Rach said:

This was the same for me, although i wasn't asked to bring certificates.
Also i was not shown the massage so if i wasn't already qualified in mani & pedi how would i have known what to do when it came to doing a client ?!

Bombinigirl said:
This was the same for me, although i wasn't asked to bring certificates.
Also i was not shown the massage so if i wasn't already qualified in mani & pedi how would i have known what to do when it came to doing a client ?!

Exactly. I was shown basic massage techniques, but we were not shown how to use our tools (cuticle pusher/nippers etc) or how to sanitise/disinfect tools, working area etc.

When i booked the course i was told from the start it was product training only, so i cant see that these certificates can be accepted to do manicure/pedicures on clients if you have had no previous experience.

Perhaps they are accepted by some insurance companies, but my opinion is that product training means just that.......

Ok I just rang Milton Keynes CND as I was panicking as I have my Spa Mani & Pedi booked for tomorrow & I do not have previous pedi qualifications and they said you do not need previous qualifications but this course only covers basic mani & pedi and to do luxury (paraffin waxes) you need to do further training with CND and insurers definately accept the certificate as qualified!

Helencad said:
Ok I just rang Milton Keynes CND as I was panicking as I have my Spa Mani & Pedi booked for tomorrow & I do not have previous pedi qualifications and they said you do not need previous qualifications but this course only covers basic mani & pedi and to do luxury (paraffin waxes) you need to do further training with CND and insurers definately accept the certificate as qualified!

I have just done the same and rang the hyperion group educaton department and they told me the same. If you have completed and passed a foundation course The spa mani and pedi induction DOES Qualify you to perform these services. As said above if you want to learn in depth mani/pedi you then go on to do your masters. Because on a foundation you learn anatomy and how to perform a manicure.

You are not allowed to do this course if you have no previous nail training or creative do not recognise the training you have.

Wow. A lot of confusion that could have been easily averted with a quick telephone call! How in the world did we all survive without the web! ;)

Induction courses are designed for qualified technicians as introductions into a system. The courses are generally cheaper than buying the kits you get on it and therefore a great deal (buy the product for a discount and be instructed on how to use it!).

The Spa Induction is just that: An introduction into using CreativeSpa systems.

The Master Manicure and Master Pedicure are FAR more in depth as they go into skin histology, etc...

As far as qualifications go, that depends on who is requesting them. The spa Induction course is by no means a qualification on its own aside from a qualification on product and procedure training. You need to know what type of qualification the employer is after. Is it an NVQ? What level? What units? Induction courses may help you work toward an NVQ assessment, however it wont give you everything (also keep in mind that an NVQ is the MINIMUM level of standards). The Master courses are designed to give you the underpinning knowledge you need to take NVQ assessments. In fact, it FAR exceeds the minimum requirements set forth for NVQ assessments.

CND courses are nationally and internationally recognized. However each country may have minimum requirements that need to be fulfilled in addition to your previous certification (i.e. the USA requires state licensure).

Anyhooo... I guess the only thing I found confusing about this thread was the amount of people posting how confused they were hope I didn't make it worse.

HTHs

Thanks Sam.

Just one last area of clarification....

...if you are working self employed (and therefore have no one in particular to stipulate what qualifications you should and shouldn't have) is it enough (at this early stage) to have completed the 5 day foundation and the spa induction - can I perform manis and pedis on clients with these certificates alone?

Thanks Sam - you couldn't have explained it any clearer.

Thanks Sam.

Just one last area of clarification....

...if you are working self employed (and therefore have no one in particular to stipulate what qualifications you should and shouldn't have) is it enough (at this early stage) to have completed the 5 day foundation and the spa induction - can I perform manis and pedis on clients with these certificates alone?

I'm soooo sorry to bring this thread back to life again but as this particular question wasn't answered I would like to see if there are any answers.

Now... I did the FDFC and I have a VTCT in manicure. So.... does this qualify me to do pedicures? Also would I need to do the spa induction together with the masters to qualify as far as insurance goes to perform pedicures? Also why if the spa induction is enough would it be essential to do the masters - would it mean I wouldn't be officially qualified til then to do pedis?

As a self employed bod where does the land lay with what is deemed qualified. I'm with Proessional Beauty Direct and its not always as simple as making a phone call because they seem vey vague when I speak to them.

Also does being qualified to do manicures... as in, covered nail and anatomy cover me for doing pedicures if as far as VTCT is concerned its to different courses.

Sorry to be a pain but I want to spend my money wisely.

Hi, I trained for a year at college in beauty therapy and a year for massage and got a nvq 2 qualification, and as most people who have done it will tell you it's no picnic!!
I was always told that in order to work in a salons you would need to have NVQ3!! as standard. I have been working from home for 3 years as I didn't like the way salons treat staff and block book clients in back to back.

Now I want to train in nail enhancements and training for only 2,3 or 4 days doesn't fill me with confidence, but that is what is on offer so I have to accept it. Personally I don't believe just having product knowlege with a company is enough to be competant to work on clients and college first is best.

Sorry if People don't agree with me, but it is only my view

Hi, I trained for a year at college in beauty therapy and a year for massage and got a nvq 2 qualification, and as most people who have done it will tell you it's no picnic!!
I was always told that in order to work in a salons you would need to have NVQ3!! as standard. I have been working from home for 3 years as I didn't like the way salons treat staff and block book clients in back to back.

Now I want to train in nail enhancements and training for only 2,3 or 4 days doesn't fill me with confidence, but that is what is on offer so I have to accept it. Personally I don't believe just having product knowlege with a company is enough to be competant to work on clients and college first is best.

Sorry if People don't agree with me, but it is only my view
Hi Helen,just thought that I would let you know that you are able to work in a salon with NVQ2.I have several friends who do,with a level 2 qualification and I started working in a salon with level 2 then later went on to do my level 3.HTH.

Latest posts

Back