Advise needed, very disheartened newbie.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missymoo123

Reaction score
Have only been doing nails for a matter of weeks and am starting to become slightly disheartened.
I am having real difficulty with getting the placements of my acrylic and also the final shape of the actual nails.
Looking from a side angle i can see that instead of the product being flush at the cuticle, a nice strong apex and then tapering off at the free edge.. i instead have something that looks like a right-angled triangle!!!!! So its starts off fine at cuticle and just keeps going up and up, although the product seems quite even... if that makes any sense?? ( sorry im rubbish at explaining myself )

I was taught to use the 3 ball method, but to be honest the course wasnt very detailed and didnt really concentrate on the application, it was pretty much just place ball, wait for self level, push to sides and stroke gently towards free edge, with no real concentration on how to form the perfect apex etc. We didnt even try sculpting which should have been covered according to the itinerary... so a real disappointment.

I was just wondering if anyone could maybe give me some tips etc. on how to fix this problem. I wondered if perhaps i needed more product in zone 2, so i tried this but i was just left with the bulk being pushed to free edge.. and quite frankly its starting to irritate me!

I use the edge products and was wondering if perhaps another brand would be a little easier to work with, as no matter how little of the liquid i use i always seem to have a super runny consistency.

I was also wondering if it could be my nails? as they are generally quite flat?

Thanks guys x x

Without trying to explain how to rectify things, I would firstly suggest you get back in touch with whoever trained you and speak to them. Failing that, book yourself in for another course-with a reputable company (not saying yours wasn't). I know this is more money, but at least you will sort your problems out, even if it is a 1-2-1 troubleshooting course. Also, grab yourself a copy of Gigis 'Nailclass' book, that will help no end.
hth's

Thank you for your advise, based on everything ive seen and read on here im going to say that my training probably wasnt reputable at all, and have considered training with CND. I will also take a look at prchasing the book too!! Thank you! x

Also, there are some FAB tutorials on this site. Take a look...they've helped me immensely! Best of luck to you! :)

You are struggling because you don't yet really know how to control your brush or your product to build a structurally balanced nail; being able to do this is the art of nail enhancement. That doesn't happen over night so don't be too down about it. X

I do think a copy of my book 'nailclass' would help you as it is all about learning the techniques to use your brush etc effectively. 08452106060 to purchase.

Next, click on 'other' above and then tutorials and find the series of tutorials on brush control and product control that I have written.

And finally ... There are better products and education available than the experience you have had. When you ring the number above, you will be in touch with CND. You'll be in the best possible hands. Good luck.

The educator for cnd in essex is Justine Crick, she's brilliant and i wouldnt train with anyone else now, i'd really recommend booking a conversion course with her.
Nail class will tie in really well too as this is just how she teaches, so when you have done the course you will have everything written down clearly to remind you.
It can be difficult in the early days but dont give up and work through your problems and you will get there eventually.

Hi - were you the lady who did your training with the Trainign company in essex using The Edge system?

The reason I asked is because i also did my inital training with the same company, and totally agree with you that there were so many gaps in the training (although to an extent i was lucky as i was doing my Mani Pedi units at college at the same time)
they Passed me on UV gel certificate with just a basic knowledge, even though i hadnt been trained,
Luckily i knew the UV gel syetem anyway and insisted on doing one hand on my model so it could be assessed.
The consequence of this is that I dont even offer Gel Enhancements on my treatment menu as i am really not confident.

My Acrylic training with them didnt even cover application of smile lines!

Hence 2 months later i took a CND conversion course and can honestly say it was only then did i realsise how much i should have learnt but hadnt been taught -

Wish Id saved my money now on the first course, but hey, we all learn the hard way sometimes.

I wish you luck - but please dont get disheartened, its really not your fault and nothing a little dedication and some tutoring from a reputable company wont solve .:hug:

Ps Forgot to add Gigi's Nail class is a must have - i constantly have mine with me in my bag - also Marian Newman's "The Complete Nail technician " is a must as well
V x

Last edited:
Hi - were you the lady who did your training with the Trainign company in essex using The Edge system?

The reason I asked is because i also did my inital training with the same company, and totally agree with you that there were so many gaps in the training (although to an extent i was lucky as i was doing my Mani Pedi units at college at the same time)
they Passed me on UV gel certificate with just a basic knowledge, even though i hadnt been trained,
Luckily i knew the UV gel syetem anyway and insisted on doing one hand on my model so it could be assessed.
The consequence of this is that I dont even offer Gel Enhancements on my treatment menu as i am really not confident.

My Acrylic training with them didnt even cover application of smile lines!

Hence 2 months later i took a CND conversion course and can honestly say it was only then did i realsise how much i should have learnt but hadnt been taught -

Wish Id saved my money now on the first course, but hey, we all learn the hard way sometimes.

I wish you luck - but please dont get disheartened, its really not your fault and nothing a little dedication and some tutoring from a reputable company wont solve .:hug:

Ps Forgot to add Gigi's Nail class is a must have - i constantly have mine with me in my bag - also Marian Newman's "The Complete Nail technician " is a must as well
V x

This is a common refrain .. "if only I had started my training with CND". Glad you got there in the end and can tell others what a positive experience it was for you, thank you.

Yep thats unfortunately me!

I have left an enquiry with justine at the Essex CND academy as suggested, so hopefully she can advise me on dates etc and i will definately be taking your advise and converting to CND, and will also be purchasing gigi's book ( thank you for the contact number gigi )

You have all been so helpful, thank you very much!! x

hi - i was gonna say somethign on your last post a long the lines of please dont go out an buy NSI equipment and acrylics - because the money you spend on a new system and then realise you need a conversion course to fill in the gaps could be better spent

My advice: do the conversion and THEN decide! if you still like the NSI products by all means go get them - but i guarantee that once you use CND you wont ever look back!

( I use retention + and perfect colour pink n white) only, because thats what i was taught with and have stuck with, and to this day i still love it.
The only time i will use NSI is if i am doing a promotion and i use the NSI product to increase my margin

The only Edge product i use is the clear Gel for overlaying Rockstar toes - only because again its value for money - it serves a purpose and doesnt eat into my margins

V x

Okay, i think i will trust your judgement on that and im not going to buy anything at all until ive sorted out some more training, just waiting to hear back from justine at the essex CND academy and hopefully this will be the start of something wonderful :)

Thank you! x

Usually enquiries for education are all done by contacting S2 and not the educators themselves ... The head office normally handles everything for the CND ambassadors... It is the system and I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed because they have not gone along the right route. 08452106060
X

This is a common refrain .. "if only I had started my training with CND". Glad you got there in the end and can tell others what a positive experience it was for you, thank you.

That's me too - I tried to do it cheaply (started with a home study one - bad, bad move, went on to a cheap 2 day one, then to a cheap conversion (I am deliberately not mentioning any names here as I feel that would be unfair) and finally I realised if I wanted to be any good I would have to spend some money partly to get good training and partly to enable me to buy the best products available) and it really isn't worth it, I ended up spending far, far more than than I needed to and was taught badly to start with and so learning was harder because I had got into a few bad habits. If I could do it all again I would have started with CND and nobody else. I love the products, the name they have, the training, and of course S2 is just fantastic with great people as well as products. It's a shame sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

That's me too - I tried to do it cheaply (started with a home study one - bad, bad move, went on to a cheap 2 day one, then to a cheap conversion (I am deliberately not mentioning any names here as I feel that would be unfair) and finally I realised if I wanted to be any good I would have to spend some money partly to get good training and partly to enable me to buy the best products available) and it really isn't worth it, I ended up spending far, far more than than I needed to and was taught badly to start with and so learning was harder because I had got into a few bad habits. If I could do it all again I would have started with CND and nobody else. I love the products, the name they have, the training, and of course S2 is just fantastic with great people as well as products. It's a shame sometimes we have to learn the hard way.
Can i ask.. Did you just do a conversion course with CND, or did you start again completely from scratch?
I think ive learnt the hard way for sure, i went out and spent a couple of hundred pounds on stuff that now seems like a waste of money.. the reviews ive heard on the brand are really quite bad and ive become very reluctant to continue use of these products.

Can i ask.. Did you just do a conversion course with CND, or did you start again completely from scratch?
I think ive learnt the hard way for sure, i went out and spent a couple of hundred pounds on stuff that now seems like a waste of money.. the reviews ive heard on the brand are really quite bad and ive become very reluctant to continue use of these products.

I decided I hadn't learnt enough to do a conversion so went right from the foundation course - it was so worth it and I'm so glad I did! If you can afford to then I would really recommend it - if you can't then I would recommend saving up ;) - it is so worth it... as you can see I went on from that and did every course they had going and went right up to Grand Master - the best thing I ever did in relation to nails and my career.

Good luck

I decided I hadn't learnt enough to do a conversion so went right from the foundation course - it was so worth it and I'm so glad I did! If you can afford to then I would really recommend it - if you can't then I would recommend saving up ;) - it is so worth it... as you can see I went on from that and did every course they had going and went right up to Grand Master - the best thing I ever did in relation to nails and my career.

Good luck
Im glad you said that actually, because that is kind of how i feel, but sometimes i wonder if im just being too hard on myself. But i'd say that in this instance im not and think i shall maybe take the route you did!

Thank you so much for your advise! x

Im glad you said that actually, because that is kind of how i feel, but sometimes i wonder if im just being too hard on myself. But i'd say that in this instance im not and think i shall maybe take the route you did!

Thank you so much for your advise! x

You're welcome. Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll love the training :) here's the courses page and telephone number for when you're ready ;) Courses x

You can't beat CND.

You can't beat CND.

Totally agree - I just wish I'd known that before I started training with anyone else! - hopefully though people looking on here will see that before they start. If my mistakes can prevent even 1 person from making the same ones then it was worth it... x

Latest posts

Back