Allergies with tanning solutions.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey hun, what you described to us regards what actually happened to you sounds like contact dermatitis, not life threatening.

What the doctor said you might get should you inhale the spray sounds very much like anaphylactic shock....where your airways will constrict within minutes and you'll stop breathing.

I don't know what anaphylactic shock is in Norwegian, sorry!

I think I understand what the anaphylactic shock is, but I don't think the doctor refered to that. He said if I spray-tanned myself around my neck, I could get a very bad contact dermatitis that it could affect my throught (sp), that it could swell so I couldn't breath. Hmmm... I hope you understood this, it was not very easy to explain in English... :)

C.

I think I understand what the anaphylactic shock is, but I don't think the doctor refered to that. He said if I spray-tanned myself around my neck, I could get a very bad contact dermatitis that it could affect my throught (sp), that it could swell so I couldn't breath. Hmmm... I hope you understood this, it was not very easy to explain in English... :)

C.

Hi

I was referring to what your doctor said about your throat - that symptom is consistent with anaphylaxia. I scan read your post, perhaps he was just being over cautious by telling you the extreme reaction you could have, but it is good advice - a doctor is far more qualified to diagnose than anyone!

As has been already mentioned, you had contact dermatitis. Many reports online state this can be caused by spray tanning.

Spray tanning is a relatively safe treatment for the majority of people and yes, there are problems that can be aggravated by it.. i.e Asthma.. and it is advisable to keep it out of your eyes, but following the guidelines given by a good and responsible supplier should limit any chances of bad things happening.

There are a small minority of people who suffer, not just with spray tanning, but with many things and again, as been mentioned... patch testing 24hrs is advisable to cover yourself as a professional and also ensure the customer is not uncomfortable and left with a nasty experience.

I have lost count how many tanning solutions that I have used, just listed the ones that I could think of and its well over 15 over the years, maybe more and I have had a mild allergic reaction to all of them. I used to get small red itchy spots on my chest and joint areas, my forearms being the worst with the constant irritation. This used to annoy the hell out of me as some used to give me a great colour. I am not knocking any other companies as we are all individual and will all re-act differently to different products, but for me the only tan that I have finally found that I don't have an allergic reaction to is Tantrick (which I have been using for a year)........of course thats not to say i won't develop one, because I was using Johnsons Holiday Skin for 6 months when it first came out, then out of the blue one day I woke up with this dreadful rash and when asking the pharmacist she said that allergies can just happen even if you have been using the product for years which really surprised me.

Hence the reason that I now offer Tantrick as 'my' preferred solution from my past experience and obviously have confidence in selling.

As a 'user; rather than a 'spray tanner'
I had a really bad reaction to a manually applied fake tan by Susan Molyneaux a few years ago, where my whole face, neck and skin swelled up and my eyes were closed shut!
Since then I RELIGOUSLY patch test everything.
There are some perfumes that I now can't use, but have been fine with all the spray tans I've had since.

Latest posts

Back