Allergies with tanning solutions.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ladies and Gents (of course)

I find this subject absolutely fascinating as i am not sure that any of us are qualified to give exact reasons for allergic reactions.

I have been spray tanning for a long time now and have heard all sorts of 'horror' stories re-allergic reactions through using different solutions.

I have not got any 'wonder' answers to this problem either, except to say that like Mandy we also work with worldwide leading pharmaceutical experts and cosmetologists who advise us that they are governed and licensed to use only approved chemicals and additives within their solutions otherwise they run the risk of being shut down or their product removed from sale.

I have also been led to believe that ingredient listings should be made available to cutomers who have purchased a particular product, but, this listing will show what ingredients are being used but not actually how its 'mixed' as this appears to be a 'trade secret' so as to try to stop 'copying' by other manufacturers.

Also, we often only tend to talk about 'spray tanning' well. the fastest growing market for chemists and supermarkets right now is 'sunless fake tanning' (hand applied) and yet this product also uses 'DHA' as do some cosmetics, so, i agree with Mandy and Liz that it may not always be the DHA that is causing the problem, but, i would like to ask how many of us have bought 'fake tan' in tubes and creams accross the counter and yet we never hear of allergic reactions, do we?

Sometimes this method i.e. 'spray tanning' comes in for a lot of abuse and yet it is simply a method of applying a product to the skin. How many of us also have bought a 'fake tan' accross the counter and looked at the ingredient listing and it says what the percentage of DHA is being used in it? i bet the answer to that is '0' it doesnt say, and yet we blame spray tanning companies for not telling us what % they use.

We all worry about spray tanning solutions and suppliers and yet its the same product as what you buy accross the counter, just mixed and packaged differently, isnt it?

I have said before that if you find a solution you like then stick with it but dont 'knock' another companies lotion just because it might not suit you, or someone has a story to tell!

Sorry if this offends anyone as it is not meant too, and allergic reactions can be very serious, i am just concerned that their could be a million and one reasons why someone could have a reaction and it might be absolutely nothing to do with the tan or its ingredients at all.

Thanks for letting me be boring:irked:

The Tan Man

I have had a million spray tans by various companies and it was only california tan i have had a problem with. It wasn't the type of tan i was knocking it was the way in which the salon reacted when something was clearly not right. When you have an allergic reaction your body releases histimines, so the fact my reaction went away after taking anti-histamines i think it's safe to say i was allergic to california tan.

Don't confuse your opinion with fact.

Hi Litlepinkfairy

Thank you for pointing that out but as you say it was my opinion only and not 'fact' in your case.

I was not referring to any one individual re 'knocking' and i apologiosed if i offended anybody, but i too have had allergic reactions to products and had and used many tans, so my opinion was based on my own experience and not yours.

The salon or supplier porbably should have dealt with this situation i a better way, and it looks like you have found your answer, i on the other hand am still searching for mine after trying to narrow it down for years, but heh.

Once again if i offended you personally i apologise, but it was only my opinion which is what i thought this site was all about, maybe next time i will get it right

Hi Litlepinkfairy

Thank you for pointing that out but as you say it was my opinion only and not 'fact' in your case.

I was not referring to any one individual re 'knocking' and i apologiosed if i offended anybody, but i too have had allergic reactions to products and had and used many tans, so my opinion was based on my own experience and not yours.

The salon or supplier porbably should have dealt with this situation i a better way, and it looks like you have found your answer, i on the other hand am still searching for mine after trying to narrow it down for years, but heh.

Once again if i offended you personally i apologise, but it was only my opinion which is what i thought this site was all about, maybe next time i will get it right

thats cool. This site is all about opinion, i thought you were rubbishing any claims people may have made about having allergic recations to spray tans. Sorry if i offended you.

thats cool. This site is all about opinion, i thought you were rubbishing any claims people may have made about having allergic recations to spray tans. Sorry if i offended you.
no need for any apologies..................are we still friends then?:hug:

I will never intentionally hurt or offend anyone but these messages can sometimes read the wrong way, if that makes sense.............i am a man after all!!:|

I really hope you have seen the back of this reaction as i really do feel for you having hospitalised with mine.

maybe what should happen is that a good governing body should take the whole tanning industryby the scruff of the neck and give it a good shake up so as to avoid the problems that you have experienced.

Thanks for your reply

Russell
The Tan Man

I would just like to add that when you buy tanning solution from a reputable company, they must provide you with Msds sheets, that will give you the list of ingredients, where its manufactured, all health and safety information etc.
Debbie Easter
Couture Beauty
Creative Nail Academy

Also, we often only tend to talk about 'spray tanning' well. the fastest growing market for chemists and supermarkets right now is 'sunless fake tanning' (hand applied) and yet this product also uses 'DHA' as do some cosmetics, so, i agree with Mandy and Liz that it may not always be the DHA that is causing the problem, but, i would like to ask how many of us have bought 'fake tan' in tubes and creams accross the counter and yet we never hear of allergic reactions, do we?

Sometimes this method i.e. 'spray tanning' comes in for a lot of abuse and yet it is simply a method of applying a product to the skin. How many of us also have bought a 'fake tan' accross the counter and looked at the ingredient listing and it says what the percentage of DHA is being used in it? i bet the answer to that is '0' it doesnt say, and yet we blame spray tanning companies for not telling us what % they use.

I have read through your post a couple of times, to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you, and a part of me hopes I am!

I'm concerned that you liken consumer over-the-counter fake tan to professional products applied by professional therapists! Therapists need to know the DHA percentage so they can apply a tan that will look natural, so they can cater for individual skin tones.

As far as I know, the majority of spray tan companies include the percentage of DHA on their product packaging, I can't for the life of me think of a reason why they wouldn't! Does your company not do this?

I have read through your post a couple of times, to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you, and a part of me hopes I am!

I'm concerned that you liken consumer over-the-counter fake tan to professional products applied by professional therapists! Therapists need to know the DHA percentage so they can apply a tan that will look natural, so they can cater for individual skin tones.

As far as I know, the majority of spray tan companies include the percentage of DHA on their product packaging, I can't for the life of me think of a reason why they wouldn't! Does your company not do this?

Some spray tan solutions do not state on the packaging the DHA % as they claim to be suitable for all skin types.

Some spray tan solutions do not state on the packaging the DHA % as they claim to be suitable for all skin types.

Thanks for that hun :green:

I have never come across these products as yet! Personally, I'd much rather know exactly what I'm spraying clients with.

I have never come across these products as yet! Personally, I'd much rather know exactly what I'm spraying clients with.

I agree 100%, never got on with the theory of one solution suits all.

St Tropez is one, I believe. Their spray tanning solution.

St Tropez is one, I believe. Their spray tanning solution.

Fake Bake is another.

Can any one answer, when manual tans are applied (I don't do this!) do lotions state DHA content? Or do they have alot less DHA content so they don't need to? Sorry if I sound stupid! lol

Fake Bake is another.

Can any one answer, when manual tans are applied (I don't do this!) do lotions state DHA content? Or do they have alot less DHA content so they don't need to? Sorry if I sound stupid! lol

Are manual lotions thicker than spray solutions then, or is that a stupid question? :o

Just picked up on this thread and I may sound stupid too!
I use Fake Bake Cream and it doesnt state the DHA content, but why would it need to if it was higher? And is it higher in spray? Does that make sense? x

Just picked up on this thread and I may sound stupid too!
I use Fake Bake Cream and it doesnt state the DHA content, but why would it need to if it was higher? And is it higher in spray? Does that make sense? x

If it needed to be on there, I am sure Fake Bake would have put it on. Fake Bake are a well known company.

Not all solutions need it on, perhaps none do really... but some companies like to put it on.

I haven't read through all the answers here, but will tell you about me. When I started with spray-tanning, I had to try it myself. One in my staff sprayed me and I got a LOVELY color. I was SO satisfied!

In the evening and in the night things happend. I got itchy rash all over my body. My skin "raised" and become really irritated. I got fever and felt ill. In the morning I had to go to the doctor bevause 1. I needed something to calm my skin and 2. I wanted to know WHAT this was and if it was dangerous. I was scared to use it on customers.

I went to the doctor and brought the bottle. He said it was nothing dangerous in it and that it could have been the "citrus-acid" (don't remember if it was called exactly that name) or something else I got that bad reaction of. I asked him if I should stop spraying customers, but he said no. He said he would have continued. BUT he also said I should NEVER try it again because of my very bad reaction. He said I could get it in my throught (sp????) and then I could stop breathing. He also advised me to use gloves and a mask when spraying others.

The thing is... If I get a little bit, like a patch-test, on my skin, I never get a reaction... I have tried it ceveral times, but nothing happens....

C.

I haven't read through all the answers here, but will tell you about me. When I started with spray-tanning, I had to try it myself. One in my staff sprayed me and I got a LOVELY color. I was SO satisfied!

In the evening and in the night things happend. I got itchy rash all over my body. My skin "raised" and become really irritated. I got fever and felt ill. In the morning I had to go to the doctor bevause 1. I needed something to calm my skin and 2. I wanted to know WHAT this was and if it was dangerous. I was scared to use it on customers.

I went to the doctor and brought the bottle. He said it was nothing dangerous in it and that it could have been the "citrus-acid" (don't remember if it was called exactly that name) or something else I got that bad reaction of. I asked him if I should stop spraying customers, but he said no. He said he would have continued. BUT he also said I should NEVER try it again because of my very bad reaction. He said I could get it in my throught (sp????) and then I could stop breathing. He also advised me to use gloves and a mask when spraying others.

The thing is... If I get a little bit, like a patch-test, on my skin, I never get a reaction... I have tried it ceveral times, but nothing happens....

C.

Aren't those symptoms consistent with Anaphylaxis shock?

Aren't those symptoms consistent with Anaphylaxis shock?

Maybe I should know this, but I am not a beauticians (sp) and I don't know this English word, maybe I had understood it if you told me the Norwegian word... :)

C.

Hey hun, what you described to us regards what actually happened to you sounds like contact dermatitis, not life threatening.

What the doctor said you might get should you inhale the spray sounds very much like anaphylactic shock....where your airways will constrict within minutes and you'll stop breathing.

I don't know what anaphylactic shock is in Norwegian, sorry!

since allergies and anaphylactic shock has been mentioned just though i`d throw this into the mix, some solutions contain peanut(arachis hypogaea)oil or walnut(guglans regia) shell extract although possibly only traces could someone with a severe allergy to these things have a reaction? my hubby is so allergic to tomatoes that eating say a piece of ham from a sandwich that has had tomato removed makes his tongue swell extremely.

Latest posts

Back