Allergies with tanning solutions.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameo Val

Reaction score
Have any of you who do the spray tanning systems ever had clients who are allergic to the products. If so how did the allergy display itself, i.e. rashes, itching, skin break down etc. Also do you get clients to sign a disclaimer before the tanning sessions which would clear you of any action being taken against you if they had a bad reaction to the products.

Im just exploring the possibilities of doing mobile tanning, so any help and info would be most appreciated. Best that Im warned before hand if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.

Have any of you who do the spray tanning systems ever had clients who are allergic to the products. If so how did the allergy display itself, i.e. rashes, itching, skin break down etc. Also do you get clients to sign a disclaimer before the tanning sessions which would clear you of any action being taken against you if they had a bad reaction to the products.

Im just exploring the possibilities of doing mobile tanning, so any help and info would be most appreciated. Best that Im warned before hand if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.

This could be me saying this, I'm in the same situation. Interested to hear some responses. :)

I have a friend who has an allergy to spray tans, she suffers with dry skin but can control that through moisterising, when she had a spray tan she came out in what looked like exema (sp) and was told by her gp that it was an allergic reaction hth

A girl at college is allergic to spray tans (st tropez was the ones being used) and she came out in the usual allergy type rash withina few hours so showered it off straight away but the allergy rash did stay for a few days.

Dont have the tantrick record cards with me but it does ask on there if the client has any previous reactions and they sign the record card stating that this information is correct.

My insurance doesnt specify a patch test on spray tans unless any previous reactions I think.

I do mobile tanning, and I make sure all clients fill in a client record card which they sign before I spray them. I do know of two people who have had an allergic reaction to all tanning products inc. spraytan, and they both came out in an itchy rash, nothing serious and just took piriton to control it. I think they might be allergic to the DHA.

I do mobile spray tanning and so far have only found myself with an allergy. Mine is only with St Tropez tho and only on my bottom half of my body. What happens is i get prickly heat type rash.

I've not had any reactions as yet, touch wood!
I always do a mini consultation when I first speak to a potential client as there are a number of contraindications that could stop them from being Spray Tanned. I ask about allergies/hyper sensitive skin and if in doubt a patch test is the way to go! I do a full consultation card when I see my client, which they do sign as a disclaimer. I think its quite straight forward really, if you do your consult card etc you would be covered in the event of a claim, people can have reactions or become allergic to things at anytime of life something which unfortunately can't be foreseen.
HTH

It wont necessarily be a reaction to the DHA in the solution. Preservatives, fragrances and dyes could be the most likely causes. By carrying out a proper consultation with your client prior to spraying will help to eliminate the possibility that they have a tendency to react to certain ingredients.
Liz

If someone has never used any kind of fake tanning products before I will patch test 24 hours prior to the tan.

As an aside, but kind of on topic, I've been amazed lately at the tanning companies that won't actually provide you any form of data sheets or ingredients listing for tanning solutions. I'm considering changing solutions and have asked several 'big' names lately for this information, my reasoning being that if I'm spraying it on a clients skin, I would like to know whats in it.

Sadly some of them treat me like a complete air-head telling me not to worry about that kind of thing, and theirs is very gentle, and contains only natural ingredients (don't they all say that?) ....thats all I apparently need to know. I'm not asking for the 'recipe' for their solutions for chrissake, just a little more info than the fact that its tanning solution, so I know what I'm putting on my clients skin! Shouldn't we have a right to a little more support and info than this?

So, sadly, they won't be getting orders from me!

BTW, I stress that this isn't all of the suppliers, and I know that tanning solutions aren't as strictly governed by H&S, but its my business and I'm still amazed at some of the suppliers that have this attitude.

i always offer a patch test to clients for tanning. i use fake bake and i have only had one client who had a reaction. i did a patch test on this client before hand but she came up in a rash about 4 hours after the tan had been applied. she showed no reaction to the patch test. it is proably best to patch test especially if the client is prone to skin problems, sensitive skin or allergies. hth

em x

i had some sort of reaction to california tan, after i had the tan done i was stood waiting for it to dry off and my face started burning!! I looked in the mirror and my cheeks and around my eyes had gone bright red! I went to the bloke on reception and asked if this was normal and all he said was " yeah that can happen to some people" I was shocked, this is meant to be a reputable salon by a "celebrity" owner. (Sorry can't say who!) i went straight to boots and bought some anti-histimines but thankfully it went down after about 45 mins. Needless to say i have never been back!

i had some sort of reaction to california tan, after i had the tan done i was stood waiting for it to dry off and my face started burning!! I looked in the mirror and my cheeks and around my eyes had gone bright red! I went to the bloke on reception and asked if this was normal and all he said was " yeah that can happen to some people" I was shocked, this is meant to be a reputable salon by a "celebrity" owner. (Sorry can't say who!) i went straight to boots and bought some anti-histimines but thankfully it went down after about 45 mins. Needless to say i have never been back!

I have heard from a client of mine that she had a reaction to a spray tan before when she had some antibiotic cream that she was using on her face at the time.

Sounded like a similar reaction.

I am allergic to every spray tan I have ever had on! And tanning creams including your johnson holiday skin etc.
I have put it down to the DHA. Only a very small percent of people are allergic to this, I have been told, and I am one.
I have v sensitive skin.
When it happens, my skin itches and burns. Skin around lips and eyes v sore and slightly swells up.
Like above, take piriton or same and it will settle. It does last a few days though then your left with the scratch marks!!!
I hate it as I should be wearing it to promote myself!!! I do risk it sometimes but I hate the feeling of a million ants crawlin all over me!
I am insured and trained and get client record cards filled in. If they've never had reaction, then I go ahead. I do say to them to contact me immediately if they do get a reaction, then I would advise to take piriton or visit gp depending on severity. NEVER happened tho.

I have heard from a client of mine that she had a reaction to a spray tan before when she had some antibiotic cream that she was using on her face at the time.

Sounded like a similar reaction.

i wonder if it was the same brand of spray tan. the girl who did my tan gave me no consultation what so ever. Although, even if she had, there was no way of knowing i would have reacted as i have never had any problems before.

i wonder if it was the same brand of spray tan. the girl who did my tan gave me no consultation what so ever. Although, even if she had, there was no way of knowing i would have reacted as i have never had any problems before.

I believe the tan was California Tan - it turned out nothing wrong with the product but it was a reaction with the antibiotic cream she was using.

I believe the tan was California Tan - it turned out nothing wrong with the product but it was a reaction with the antibiotic cream she was using.

I wasn't on any anti-biotics, i must just be allergic or something!:(

Firstly, clients should always be offered a patch test prior to any tans being applied, a client record sheet should be completed for each new client and then updated on each visit therafter noting any reactions or changes. It is important to check to see if there has been any reaction previously to any cosmetic tans. Allergies, as Liz has already said, may not be due to the DHA, this in fact is very rare, there are lots of ingredients in various solutions which can affect peoples skin.

Many companies claim theirs is a "natural" product! Just because it contains Aloe Vera doesn't make it "natural"!

I used to break out in little white blisters which were very itchy with one "natural" solution I used and after since speaking to other users of this product, found that many suffered with the same symptoms! Choosing a solution can be a grey area as we are now hearing of lots of people coming out in blackheads from another solution which is currently doing the rounds, and another provider of solution from overseas included a type of "vinyl plastic" within its ingredients to make the skin all nice and smooth - they still claimed it was natural!

Of course people can react to anything, natural or not - just think of hayfever sufferers. Tantrick works closely with one of the World leading natural Cosmetologists to ensure our solutions are of a very high standard. It is our aim to provide our customers with the best quality solutions which means that there are fewer reactions to our solution than most others. This being the case, ours is not the cheapest product on the market, but you very often get what you pay for.

Many companies provide solutions without the fundamental labelling requirements so technicians won't even know what they are spraying onto their clients! Anyone supplying solutions in this way should be reported to the local trading standards as it is completely illegal! All labels on sample and full sized bottles should contain the full list of ingredients according to the UK's requirements, and also have the content volume shown on the bottle, it should batch coded and also have a contact address even if it is a website or postcode.

If anyone would like further information, we're happy to help. Don't let your clients get a reaction from unknown ingredients - be sure and be safe!

Mandy

I have a friend who has the occ. spray tan but the rest of the time she uses various self tan lotions. She has been getting very itchy and I'm convinced its the tan but she is in complete denial.

She has had blood tests which are fine but I sometimes think that we can react to almost ANYTHING at one time or another. If the body is under stress then sometimes this can sensitise us to things we may use/eat everyday.

Once my face blew up for days(not literally cos I still have my face intact lol) and I still dont know why to this day that happened.

Everyone should have a bottle of piriton in the house!!!

Hi Ladies and Gents (of course)

I find this subject absolutely fascinating as i am not sure that any of us are qualified to give exact reasons for allergic reactions.

I have been spray tanning for a long time now and have heard all sorts of 'horror' stories re-allergic reactions through using different solutions.

I have not got any 'wonder' answers to this problem either, except to say that like Mandy we also work with worldwide leading pharmaceutical experts and cosmetologists who advise us that they are governed and licensed to use only approved chemicals and additives within their solutions otherwise they run the risk of being shut down or their product removed from sale.

I have also been led to believe that ingredient listings should be made available to cutomers who have purchased a particular product, but, this listing will show what ingredients are being used but not actually how its 'mixed' as this appears to be a 'trade secret' so as to try to stop 'copying' by other manufacturers.

Also, we often only tend to talk about 'spray tanning' well. the fastest growing market for chemists and supermarkets right now is 'sunless fake tanning' (hand applied) and yet this product also uses 'DHA' as do some cosmetics, so, i agree with Mandy and Liz that it may not always be the DHA that is causing the problem, but, i would like to ask how many of us have bought 'fake tan' in tubes and creams accross the counter and yet we never hear of allergic reactions, do we?

Sometimes this method i.e. 'spray tanning' comes in for a lot of abuse and yet it is simply a method of applying a product to the skin. How many of us also have bought a 'fake tan' accross the counter and looked at the ingredient listing and it says what the percentage of DHA is being used in it? i bet the answer to that is '0' it doesnt say, and yet we blame spray tanning companies for not telling us what % they use.

We all worry about spray tanning solutions and suppliers and yet its the same product as what you buy accross the counter, just mixed and packaged differently, isnt it?

I have said before that if you find a solution you like then stick with it but dont 'knock' another companies lotion just because it might not suit you, or someone has a story to tell!

Sorry if this offends anyone as it is not meant too, and allergic reactions can be very serious, i am just concerned that their could be a million and one reasons why someone could have a reaction and it might be absolutely nothing to do with the tan or its ingredients at all.

Thanks for letting me be boring:irked:

The Tan Man

Latest posts

Back