Alternative to Shellac for weak/thin nails??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsP

Reaction score
Hi - I use Shellac almost exclusively as a natural nails only salon - no enhancements (although trained to do them).

I have a the odd client who's nails are not suitable for Shellac and I need an alternative to retain these clients AND help their nails. I am CND trained and prefer to keep to CND ideally - but most of all I need a solution for this small group of customers please!!

Thank you muchness...:Love:

I don't offer Shellac but wondered what prevents them from having Shellac services? If their nails are weak, would a NNO with som gel or similar to strenthen help?

Hi - I use Shellac almost exclusively as a natural nails only salon - no enhancements (although trained to do them).

I have a the odd client who's nails are not suitable for Shellac and I need an alternative to retain these clients AND help their nails. I am CND trained and prefer to keep to CND ideally - but most of all I need a solution for this small group of customers please!!

Thank you muchness...:Love:

I use bio for clients with really weak nails or damaged from poor enhancements etc. But obviously that's not made by CND.
Would Brisa gel be any good for your clients?

The vast majority are fine - but you know those few with damage or really thin nails that just won;t hold Shellac - as Geeg says - it's a power polish so I do find I need an alternative for those occasions when not quite enough.

Was concerned that offering Gels (Brisa) - I would be spending ages filing these things off and potentially causing more damage?? I like Bio but would need another days training and I just did my Masters and Myscara so no more dosh to come from Isle of Man :rolleyes:

Do I need to do a conversion to Brisa then (I'm Acrygel trained)?

Hi hun

Its not cnd but have you looked at Young Nails mani-q at all. They do maniq clear gel which comes in a pot and is a sog which you can mix with some polishes as well or just use as a natural nail overlay. they also do maniq colour which is also a sog but in a polish bottle. you can also with some polishes layer maniq base, maniq top, 2 coats colour then maniq top again. This is my understanding anyway maybe worth a look. I am planning to offer this along side shellac and my other cnd products. mani q clear gel and colour is a soak off gel as already stated and contains no polish whatsover. If you have a look on you tube or young nails website they have step by steps and video tutorials so you can have a look for yourself and see what you think. The over all look of maniq colour/clear gel looks just like a polish to me and nothing to thick or heavy.

hth and just a thought.

big x

Thanks all :Love:
I have looked at ManiQ - heard it was a little tough to get off?? I also looked at Artistic as they do a similar structure gel..I am so in my comfort zone with Shellac!! BUT..I know I need that little bit extra to ensure customers get everything they should.. Will look again now at Maniq and artistic - Like BIO v much but I can't do anymore courses!:biggrin:

Why not apply fibreglass natural nail overlays for those clients?

You will have a smooth, thin and strong enough finish of fibreglass to protect their nails and be able to leave them either natural or apply colour (enamel or Shellac). For rebalancing you can either soak off with the Shellac and reapply or remove enamel and re-resin/rebalance.

Yes, you would need to do a conversion to use/purchase Brisa.

It's a very soft gel (for a buff off) to file/buff off and also to rebalance... my clients don't have damaged nails after I've rebalanced them :wink2:

wow - I never even thought of that! Do I need extra training for that?? (I can do enhancements but does fibreglass require further training??)

You'd have to check your insurance... it's always better and easier to do once you've had a class in how to apply it and rebalance it. I love how thin it is over natural nails, it's perfect for weak nails and when applied correctly you can't see any of the fibreglass :D
Here's a pic I took ages ago of a tipped nail with fibreglass overlay after my client broke her natural nail:
valenciannails-albums-nails%2C+nails++more+nails%21-picture12-designer-nails-fabric-natural-tip-overlay.jpg

http://www.salongeek.com/members/va...designer-nails-fabric-natural-tip-overlay.jpg

I have a client who's having trouble with Shellac, although I have to say she has trouble with a couple of nails full stop, they peel and break and she just can't get any length on her thumb nails.

I tried Fibreglass but that didn't work on her and today I just did an acrylic NNO on a few of her nails topped off with Shellac.

I'm keeping everything crossed, as I so want it to work for her. :Scared:

Gelish do a structure gel that you can apply before their gel polish for those who need a bit of extra strength...i have not used it personally though but was thinking of trying ot for the same reasons you have mentioned.

I have a client who's having trouble with Shellac, although I have to say she has trouble with a couple of nails full stop, they peel and break and she just can't get any length on her thumb nails.
I have a client who is on a LOT of medication, she suffers with splitting on some of her nails and peeling too. She's good as gold re using her Solar Oil (at least once a day if not more) and still had problems. We found success with fibreglass NNO's and she's managed to grow the splits out, we're still working on the peeling but her general health doesn't help matters.

Shellac struggles to last if the nails are peeling (delamination), you have to remove the peeling before applying it or you could find them chipping.

:D

Hmmm I recently hijacked a thread about fibreglassed nails but unfortunately didn't get any answers, here it is again.. It's not a problem but I'm just curious to see why the Shellac chipped so much with the Fibreglass overlays, it's sort of put me off using it again.

Actually, sorry to hijack this a little but wondered if anybody could help with an issue I had with fibreglassed Shellac on my mum's nails whilst on holiday?

I did my own Shellac and all fine on holiday. Prior to doing my mum's nails, hers were ever so slightly peeling and one had split. So following advice I applied the Fibreglass with 2 coats of resin, filed down any bumps, then applied the rest of the Shellac. I.e. Fibreglass, resin & activator x 2, Shellac base, 2 x Shellac colour + Top coat. Well my mum's nails started chipping after only a day or so, whilst mine were completely fine.

Does anybody know what I may have done wrong?

We both used the same products on holiday, sun tan oil and it DIDN'T contain insect repellent (DEET), so that wasn't a cause of the problems.

I have this problem with my OWN nails. I HATE them! I have bought into Shellac, and follow the Geeg tutorial to the T, and my nails don't last. I have weak, peely, bendy, thin, fan shaped, FLAT nails that don't seem to go well with Shellac. As i'll have them short at the start of Shellac, but after a week and I have some length, my nails will start bending and the Shellac will start to chip from the bend. It gets me down as I don't like having extensions and I NEED nice nails to represent myself as a nail tech. Shellac is a power polish but my nails need a super, diamond strength, pumped up power polish! Is ManiQ really good enough? Think of the crappest nails you've ever seen, times by 10...is it going to work on these nails? Need nice nails, need nice nails, need nice nails.....*quietly rocks in corner crying over nails*

Hi huni,
we use fibreglass as a support structure for those clients that need it.
We apply the fibreglass just like you did, but we make sure it isn't buffed to a super smooth finish.
We file refine with a 180 grit file, this leaves little grooves in the fibreglass and we found that the Shellac base coat adheres brilliantly to this, also run a buffer along the free edge, so the base coat can grip that to, then proceed with your application.
This is our way and our clients go 2-3 weeks with no problem, we wrap soak it all off, 15minutes and re-do afterwards.
Lisa I wished you lived closer, I could then show you how we do it and we could have a natter an a cuppa too xxx

HTH xxx

LOOK AT THEM! Ahhh! *crys hysterically in corner*ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1310768831.404916.jpg

Ruth, thanks so much for that. OK, think that's definitely where I may have gone wrong. I'm guessing it's going to be the same for an acrylic NNO prior to Shellac? I'll make sure I use just use my 180 and not to refine it further.

It's good to see other people's experiences of Shellac, I used to class my own nails as weak and bendy, I have NEVER had long nails as they would always break. Yet since using Shellac, my nails are a lovely length with no breakages. In fact, my nails are useless again and break if I'm not wearing Shellac.

Oh and if I were nearer, I would SO take you up on your offer! :biggrin:

For Acrylic L&P you wont need the basecoat, you can go right in with the colour.
Fibreglass is easy to soak off, as for over L&P I would buff off the Shellac xxxx

Oh just come down and maybe we could organise a geek meet, I know Lucy would be up for something like this pmsl and maybe Kayely too and maybe a few more lol xxxx

Thanks all :Love:
I have looked at ManiQ - heard it was a little tough to get off?? :biggrin:

hi hun

ive not used it myself but have been researching like crazy and ringing YN for some info. i think from what i can gleam from the problems of removal was when they were putting protein bond over the entire nail, but its now advised that is is just placed on the free edge. like i said i dont use the product as yet but that is what my understanding is with the problem of removal. may be a good idea to call young nails for some more info. i sent a mahooosive email to poor liza dodd and she replied answering all my questions very quickly.

hth

xxxxx:Love:

Latest posts

Back