Am being slandered on facebook!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can leave home at 16 and live on your own! Get married etc etc I think theres a bit of a grey area between 16 and 18 but personally i really do not believe a 16 year old is a child.

You can't vote until you're 18; at 16 you're considered a young adult. As we all know there are many people who are still children at 28, 38, 48 and beyond.

Well, since my 1st post, said client has AGAIN posted on her facebook telling people to avoid my salon. She AGAIN stated she'd had an allergic reaction. Comments from another person was that we were so unprofessional & she should sue (trying saying that out loud after a glass of wine :eek:)

She has also slagged us off to her hairdresser!!

In my opinion she is old enough to know EXACTLY what she is doing!

If I had not have mentioned her age in my original thread, would any of your comments be different??

Well, since my 1st post, said client has AGAIN posted on her facebook telling people to avoid my salon. She AGAIN stated she'd had an allergic reaction. Comments from another person was that we were so unprofessional & she should sue (trying saying that out loud after a glass of wine :eek:)

If I had not have mentioned her age in my original thread, would any of your comments be different??

Oh no!! I'm sure you're fuming :-( xx

I would do what has been suggested and make sure you have prints of all of the threads on facebook relating to this and also make sure you've documented the details of your contact with her throughout.....nothing will probably come of it, but if you have everything to hand you will be in a much stronger position to fight your corner. :hug:

i personally would phone up the contact number given and ask to speak to the mother and i would say i had a phone call from such and such a body who said they had an unsatisfatory treatment at my salon and said they would come in to see me/my staff/whatever at such and such a time but she didn't turn up, according to her client card she filled in she is only 16 i was just phoning up to check that everything was ok with her as i'ma bit concerned at a young person not turning up when she said she would. i'd much rather give the mum the chance to speak to me and let me know if there was a problem herself which i'm sure she would do if there was.
x[/QUOTE

the problem here is that by calling and speaking to the parent you would actually be breaking client confidentiality and breaching DPA.

Unless you play her at her own game.... You could always ring her and tell her that someone has informed you about the comments they have seen on her page and that does she know it is slander and and you could sue her for loss of earnings etc. Ask her to refrain from making slanderous comments in future or you may have to take it further.

That if she did indeed have an allergic reaction that she should have come back to your salon with her medical notes. As with all cosmetics there is a chance of allergic reaction and the same goes for spray tan.

I myself would be fuming at reading this!!

Also for you to say she has now advised people to not go to your salon I would ring her or her mother up and inform them that what they are doing is slander and if it continues you will look into sueing them.

At the end of the day if you used a client consultation card and also had a disclaimer at the bottom of it it is not your fault and she has signed this!! Therefore she is now in the wrong as she had not told you of any problems that make result in the tan going wrong etc.

I would definitely give her mother a call, and very calmly tell her what was happening. If the mother is a good woman she will understand where your coming from. I do believe the girl has probably overexaggerated but thats not the point. Most parents have no idea what their sons/daughters do on Facebook and she would probably be shocked to find out. Also the good thing is you can get the comments removed if you report this to Facebook, you dont need to be the girls friend or anything, however the word of mouth she has spreaded is irreversible which is very unfortunate! x

I would definitely give her mother a call, and very calmly tell her what was happening. If the mother is a good woman she will understand where your coming from. I do believe the girl has probably overexaggerated but thats not the point. Most parents have no idea what their sons/daughters do on Facebook and she would probably be shocked to find out. Also the good thing is you can get the comments removed if you report this to Facebook, you dont need to be the girls friend or anything, however the word of mouth she has spreaded is irreversible which is very unfortunate! x

As has been stated already you cannot call the girl's mother as it breaches client confidentiality.

I would instead call my insurance company and ask for their advice before proceeding any further.

Oh her Mother didnt know...?
If thats the case ring the girl direct im sure once she knows you have seen what she has been writing she will stop. Remember to be calm and polite no matter how rude she is it will look better on you in the long run x

Whether her mother knew or not you still can't discuss her daughter's treatment with her.

Whether her mother knew or not you still can't discuss her daughter's treatment with her.

Agreed, but at 16 years of age she is legally considered a minor and if I were Blue Rose, I might be very tempted to contact the mother (who is, after all, responsible for her child) and inform her that her daughter is libelling me on the internet. It wouldn't be discussing anything that isn't already available for the mother to see on Facebook. In my opinion, the girl lost any right to client confidentiality when SHE decided to broadcast details of the treatment all over the worldwideweb!

At the end of the day she is a 16 year old girl who knows no better, unlike us.
I disagree. At 16 one should know better and as already said, there are 20, 30 and 40 plus year old who would and do behave like this.

Mentioning your salon in this way is slanderous as the information is in the public domain. For the first couple of pages of this thread, I would have let it go and tried to rise above it. However, since reading your last post, I am inclined to think that some action is needed.

Just a thought, but can you not contact or flag it up on facebook and report it?

Agreed, but at 16 years of age she is legally considered a minor and if I were Blue Rose, I might be very tempted to contact the mother (who is, after all, responsible for her child) and inform her that her daughter is libelling me on the internet. It wouldn't be discussing anything that isn't already available for the mother to see on Facebook. In my opinion, the girl lost any right to client confidentiality when SHE decided to broadcast details of the treatment all over the worldwideweb!

At 16 years of age, one is no longer considered a minor. Our eldest daughter is now 17. We pay her school fees and will pay her college fees and we pay her main living expenses as she is not working yet. She lives under our roof and therefore abides by our parenting. She has a FB account but I have access to it too. Some may call this controlling, but she knows we love her and she respects us and that as long as she lives with us and is financially dependant on us, then these are our rules.

However, if she wanted to leave home now of her own accord, there would be nothing we could do stop her. She gave consent for a general anaesthetic 6 months ago. I couldn't give it. Her dad couldn't give it. She had to give it. She is no longer a minor.

In my opinion, the girl lost any right to client confidentiality when SHE decided to broadcast details of the treatment all over the worldwideweb!

Unfortunately your opinion wouldn't stand up in a court of law.
The client can say what she likes about the treatment but you can't retaliate. It sucks, but them's the rules.

The client can say what she likes about the treatment but you can't retaliate. It sucks, but them's the rules.

Lynne, surely she can't do this if it is on public display and mentioning salon names?

For example, I have given my personal negative opinion or experience of a couple of service providers on here in the past, but have not mentioned names as Sam could get hit or threatened with a law suit. It is also not very professional although I have mentioned it when someone asks for an opinion.

The client can talk about her treatment, yes, but she can't slander the salon. Sarah's got to deal with it privately by having a cease and desist letter drawn up by a solicitor.

Lynne, surely she can't do this if it is on public display and mentioning salon names?

For example, I have given my personal negative opinion or experience of a couple of service providers on here in the past, but have not mentioned names as Sam could get hit or threatened with a law suit. It is also not very professional although I have mentioned it when someone asks for an opinion.

I agree with MrsClooney..... The client, as Lynne says, CAN say what she likes about the treatment to the therapist/business owner but not to all and sundry via the internet... especially without giving Blue Rose the chance to rectify the problem (if there actually is one) or defend herself.

The client can talk about her treatment, yes, but she can't slander the salon. Sarah's got to deal with it privately by having a cease and desist letter drawn up by a solicitor.

I see what you are saying. I understand your point. Hopefully Sarah's going about it the right way.

Latest posts

Back