Am I mad to have a big price increase in Jan/Feb?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neadypp

Reaction score
Im not too sure what to do. my prices are to low for the quality of work i produce. i have kept them low because i have been travelling a few summers so have been back and forth and didnt rise them. thou over the years my technique has improved. i have also just converted to cnd. i feel my prices need to increase by about £5 is that just too big of a jump in one go at this time of year in the times we are in? x

I would say do it, tell your clients, which will be true that you haven't increased the past few years and now with inflation costs for products u have to also increase but you are still keeping your prices competitive. Most people should realise that basics like bread and milk have gone up as well as everything else including their wage, so it's only fair so should yours. Go for it and keep confident telling people x

I think you should do it. I find that the good clients will be happy to pay the extra as they realise they have been getting such a great deal thus far. Those who have a problem with it are not the ones you want. Some prospective new clients may have been thinking that your quality of work too might not be that great as you were so cheap.

I'm doing the same in the new year. I've been told a few times over the last 6mths that my prices have been too low and I should be charging more. One asked why are they were so low. I've warned a few regulars that prices will be adjusted in the new year and they've all said they were fine with that. Most ask every time if they're paying me enough!

So just do it and be paid what you're worth!!

Thanks for making me feel better about it. I keep searching threads about pricing and most people only go up a £1 every year but that would mean I'm not charging my worth for years. I def feel its a necessity but guess I'm still worried how my clients will react. X

Some will take it badly, but after they go off to somewhere else only to find you are similar then they will feel stupid.
Maybe soba voucher for 10%off the new price first then go to full wack, I've just done a January offer leaflet with some offers like, half head foils upgraded to full head at no extra charge when choosing from certain colours. Free cut with all colours (colouring ad perms only include a blowdry in my price) introduce a friend and get 10%off when friend pays full price. Things like that. But I have noted that the offers are only valid jan ad February and they must quote the code at time of booking or full price will be charged. 2 offers can not be combined, and I can cancel them at any time.

Try something like that to introduce the new price's it's not much of a loss on ur new prices. But make sure all new price's cover ur quality and time and also enough to b worth it when u do a offer from time to time so u don't lose out xoxo

Personally i would say just do it, if they have a moan, so what, your able to establish a price range to deduct from IF you choose to go down the discount route. I set a realistic price on my own and therapists ability, if you think its definatly worth it, then go for it, but be aware of your competitions pricing too. I think its pretty justified to spend more on quality, with the price inflations of things i expect prices to rise. xoxo

In my area majority of techs charge what I currently charge £25. There are 2 other salons that charge £35+ but my work is more at the level of the more expensive salons and I offer nail art the other salons don't really.
So I am hoping if pple leave they will come back il just be annoyed if they're willing to settle for less quality just to get them done cheaper. X

I would think very carefully about this if you cannot afford to see a drop in business for a few months. It is not a matter of clients not wanting to pay the extra, they may not be able to pay the extra and may have to either cut back on treatments or go elsewhere.

In an ideal world it is fine to increase prices this way but in reality, in today's economic climate, we have to think realistically about the consequences to our business that this will make.

If you lose one nail client, for instance, you will lose £50 income per month, that is equal to the £5 increase on 10 nail appointments that month. So you lose the increase on 5 clients by just losing one. I hope I have explained this well enough.

I understand your reasons though but think a smaller increase would be a better compromise at this time. :wink2:

What about doing a smaller. Increase and in 6 months do another increase, and that time it will be summer business will be busier then.

I definitely think you should increase your prices, but i don't really have an opinion as to how much.

One thing i would do, is make sure that you give your clients adequate warning. They'll feel a bit upset if they come in for their regular appointment and you ambush them with an increase.

My prices are going up in April and so i'm going to start letting people know as of January. (I like to do April as it coincides with taxes, lol)

Having a price increase and a discount voucher as a token of appreciation for loyal customers sounds like a great idea xx

Is there ever a right time for a price increase people always feel a bit put out when things increase.

My nail tech is putting her prices up by £5 in jan so a set of acrylics will now be £40 I was thinking flipping eck that's a bit much, but when I went home and had a little think I thought you know what she is great at what she does and she uses all CND and is CND trained and my nails last forever and trust me I put them through hell. So I will still go you get what you pay for in life.

If you are good at what you do your clients will get over it but you may see a drop for a few months untill they realise you do a better job than someone cheaper

Do it! My prices go up every year. I actually had s few people try and save the £5 last year by going somewhere else. They came back with their tale between their legs. You cant beat good service and as long as you provide that then people won't care about paying a bit more. Also it gives you a little bit of room to move regarding special offers xx

Yes do it! i had to do a large price increase earlier this year & at first i felt really bad about it but it had to be done. everyone was fine about it & i had no complaints so just go for it!x

I personally think that a smaller increase may be a better compromise - and depending on the service your offering.

Everyone is feeling the pinch in todays economic climate and from what I hear locally and people who work in different industries we are all just treading water at the moment trying to get by.

If you are mobile/working from home are you going to incurr extra costs? You are able to claim back petrol and fair wear and tear on your transport. If your landlord is putting up rent - then maybe it would be a time to negotiate with them.

Jan/Feb are always difficult months people dont have money in their pockets to spend as they are paying off xmas.

Could you wait until the spring/summer? from my experience people are thinking of holidays and in a happier frame of mind.

and as been mentioned ............if you loose 1 or 2 clients, it will be alot of revenue in the long run and will be difficult maybe to win the client and revenue back

I also do mine in april everything goes up in jan were if you do it in april people dont moan as much

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

Can I ask what you are charging now?

Hi girls the main reason I want to do this now at this time of year is because I just converted to Cnd and I want to start using it but I can't use it for 4 months and then increase my prices one of my reasons for increasing is because of using a premium product.

In jan il be removing all my clients and putting a new set of Cnd sculpts on I'm just going to charge them my normal rebalance price as its not their choice their gettin a new set its mine but I will let them no they are getting it discounted.

I originally was going to increase a little in jan and then a little in july. But then someone said to me if you increase once people will be like oh they increased prices but doing it in another 6 months they would be like they've increased their prices again and be more annoyed. Even thou it was smaller amounts it might have a

Worse reaction. Sorry on my phone and the app wouldn't let me finish my post. Xx

In an ideal world it is fine to increase prices this way but in reality, in today's economic climate, we have to think realistically about the consequences to our business that this will make.

If you lose one nail client, for instance, you will lose £50 income per month, that is equal to the £5 increase on 10 nail appointments that month. So you lose the increase on 5 clients by just losing one. I hope I have explained this well enough.

I understand your reasons though but think a smaller increase would be a better compromise at this time. :wink2:

I agree with the above in that you need to consider the effects on your business closely. The fact is there is no point working for free or at a loss, so if you have to you have to. I think you definately need to consider the type of clientele you have, and how you have marketed yourself up until now. Have you been targeting bargin shoppers and clients looking for an "affordable" service? or have you been selling yourself on quality? You may loose a few more clients if you are changing your target market. Try to estimate how many may not come back, so you won't be shocked!

That said, I don't necessarily agree that a smaller increase would be best. If you going to lose clients based on a 10% or less price increase then those are the types of people generally who are leaving for the fact it is a price increase at all - it wouldn't matter how much it was. If you are going to be losing clients due to a price increase (and I'm sure you will at least one or two) then the increase may as well be enough to cover the loss.

Using the above senario, if for every eleven clients you lost one you would still make the same after your price incease, servicing the remaining ten clients. Infact you would be ahead as you would be using less product, and you'd have more free time!

I definately agree with another posters comment about giving your customers notice. If you have a regular email/newsletter that would be a great place to notify them, and shout the benefits of using CND. They have won enough awards to more then fill up a newsletter!! Don't forget to drop in (gently) that you have not had a price increase for X years! xxx

Latest posts

Back