Am I overreacting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have my phone on silent to avoid this but in regards to late night texts or emails it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I'll ignore them but if I'm trying to get a booking then I'll reply back.

Maybe a quiet word in her ear and tell her that from now on could she contact you on your business mobile??? :biggrin:

I have now set my phone to 'do not disturb' between 11 and 7, on my iPhone you can change the settings so that people on my favourites list can still get through loud and clear so everyone who might need to contact me in an emergency is on my favourites and everyone else can wait until morning =)

I have now set my phone to 'do not disturb' between 11 and 7, on my iPhone you can change the settings so that people on my favourites list can still get through loud and clear so everyone who might need to contact me in an emergency is on my favourites and everyone else can wait until morning =)

I just came to say this exact thing!

I put people into groups; friends and family can call between 8-8 and I'll get a notification and be able to reply, etc and clients can still send texts between these hours - but I get no noisy notification of this - and their calls are sent to voice mail.

I have a Note 2. It's definitely worth checking your phone for this function!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I must say I wouldn't mind any client texting me at whatever time. When I go to bed I put my phone on silent, so I can still receive texts but don't get disturbed in my sleep.

I've said in the past to clients just text whenever you want, you may not get a quick response if I'm busy but I always will answer.

Infact last night I had my phone in the other room and a client PM'd me through FB and it was about 20:00 hrs. I didn't know it had come in and didn't response until this morning! She still booked with me!

It's good you are accessible to clients but it's up to you to manage them!

First, keep separate numbers. IF you know you won't be near the business phone, ensure it has the ability to forward to your cell.
In no other cases should you be giving out your personal number to clients. Why? because they are clients, not friends, and in my opinion you lose business respect when you are willing to give in at any time of day.

if you have sundays off, then you are off and you don't have calls forwarded. If you feel you should be answering the business phone until 7-8pm then do so and immediately disconnect the call forwarding. This is especially easy if your business is out of your home.

You wouldn't see a big salon having the phone forward. there would be a message with "hours of operation" and ability to leave message to be returned during the hours of operation.

i am totally to blame and brought this on myself...

i do have a business mobile, but once a client becomes a regular i give them my personal mobile - I get so many evening texts from clients who want to rearrange their appointments it made sense to give them my personal one as that's the phone i have with me at all times and it only takes a minute or so to amend their slot (diary is on my personal phone's calendar) and reply to their text.

i tend to use my business phone during business hours only - callers tend to be new prospective clients wanting an appointment..

it's never been a problem before as clients have always been considerate and texted no later than 10pm and no earlier than 8am..

i think i've resolved the problem - I've set my phone's Do Not Disturb settings (iphone) to phonecalls only from my favourite numbers (hubby, family etc) from 10.30pm to 8am so any texts and phonecalls from anyone else will be silenced....

must remember that common sense is actually not that common..lol x

I've just had someone ask me Now if I could do their nails! It's Sunday, my birthday too and she just asks now at 5.30pm! She did it on Friday night, late, also. Told her Friday I could fit her in at the salon on Saturday, but didn't hear back from her, then again now said I could do them tomorrow as I have to go to the salon briefly tomorrow. Doubt I will hear back again from her again! Sick of time wasters.

I've just had someone ask me Now if I could do their nails! It's Sunday, my birthday too and she just asks now at 5.30pm! She did it on Friday night, late, also. Told her Friday I could fit her in at the salon on Saturday, but didn't hear back from her, then again now said I could do them tomorrow as I have to go to the salon briefly tomorrow. Doubt I will hear back again from her again! Sick of time wasters.

oh my goodness.. absolutely unbelievable..:-(

I am a home salon based nail tech/therapist. A client has texted me shortly after 6am today (it is Sunday morning) asking if i work Sundays (i dont) and if so can she can have an appointment.

Client knows this is my personal phone number and not my business number. My phone is always by my bed in case of emergencies.

To say I'm miffed is putting it mildly, I'm now wide awake (6.45am) on the only day I get a lie in!!

Am I overreacting? is it unreasonable to expect clients to send a text message at a suitably sensible hour? I could totally understand if it was a Facebook message as I get no auditory notification - but surely sending a text message to a phone that you know is a personal number at that time on a Sunday morning is inconsiderate?

What do u think?
Am I overreacting?

Yeah id be livid if anyone text me at that time let alone a client! on my day off too! its disrespectful. I'd never give out my personal number to customers anyway because of that reason and it makes it awkward for you x

I had a client call me at 2 am to cancel for the following morning. She had hooked up with a fellow after a night of partying. I was so mad I couldn't sleep and was up until 4am. So when I finally went back to bed I called her and when she answered I said sweetly "oh, did I wake you. Well, then good" and hung up on her.

Do not disturb is great and that's exactly how I use it - only calls from favs as they know not to call too early/late unless an emergency.

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I had a client call me at 2 am to cancel for the following morning. She had hooked up with a fellow after a night of partying. I was so mad I couldn't sleep and was up until 4am. So when I finally went back to bed I called her and when she answered I said sweetly "oh, did I wake you. Well, then good" and hung up on her.

oh Linda, I think i love you!! :Love:

I had someone text at 11.31 one saturday evening the text read 'do you open on sundays' then when I didn't reply they text again the same message but this time in capital letters! I responded the next morning at 9am and replied 'I do open occasionally on Sundays, for special clients on special occasions and NEVER for someone so rude as to text and expect a reply at twenty to midnight!' I never heard from them again lol

Some people are just rude but in this era of 24hr shopping people expect you to be at their beck and call all the time.

You can either ignore or respond

Simples :D

Surrey Girl through and through x

I'd also be furious. It's really basic manners, they would never have rang their doctors surgery & expected someone to pick up the phone would they? Give an inch, take a mile...
Get another number & just say that you've changed it, here is your new one.

P.s, nothing nail/hair/beauty related is an emergency :p

My phone is my personal and work number. I hate to miss appointments so dont tend to mind answering a text. Its quick and easy. Calls I wont answer.

I once had a lady ring me at 9pm on a saturday night asking if I could go round that night to do her nails. I was round a friends getting ready to go out after a few glasses of wine!! I think my reaction of are you mad?? Made her realise. I didnt mean to be rude but little tipsy. Oops.

Now I answer regulars and reply to new clients the next morning.
I have phone on silent because this new s4 notifies me about everything.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh no! I couldn't be doing with that! Well, I switch my phone off completely before I go to bed and don't switch it on again until after I've had my breakfast in the morning.:biggrin:

I'd also be furious. It's really basic manners, they would never have rang their doctors surgery & expected someone to pick up the phone would they? Give an inch, take a mile...
Get another number & just say that you've changed it, here is your new one.

P.s, nothing nail/hair/beauty related is an emergency :p
You can't text a doctor's surgery either though.. As has been said it's a convenience option and if people accept it as a way of communication for their business then it's their choice to deal with the messages waking them up :)

Glamour Fairy :)

Wow I'm not the only one being hounded at all hours....great Buisness but hard work :(

Best of luck

Sophie

Beau bettie nails and beauty x

I'm new to this self employed lark but I really don't want clients like this.

I'm aiming to be a small part time business because that best reflects my aims and goals at the moment and I'm seriously thinking that I want to be a "contact me via facebook and email only" therapist. I am fully aware that this may alienate a proportion of potential clients but I am willing to take this risk because I don't want to feel like I'm on call all the time because I just don't anticipate earning the sort of money that will justify that sort of inconvenience (Even socially, I keep my phone on silent mode because I really don't like this whole culture of people expecting you to be immediately available to talk).

Latest posts

Back