Amsterdam

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a shame the B&B is booked up, are you still looking at the Jordaan area? If so there is a lovely little friendly italian restaurant in the area that we went to (closed Mondays like a lot of local shops/restaurants)

La Festa Restaurant Reviews, Amsterdam, The Netherlands - TripAdvisor

Here is the link for the pub/cafe on the canal bridge in Jordaan I told you about. Great to watch the near miss's with cars and bikes :eek: and generally just laid back in nice surroundings, not forgetting the free wifi (ask for the code)
De Vergulde Gaper | Het gezelligste cafe in Amsterdam

Fab thanks so much for that. Yes still looking are Jordaan area. Am I right in saying Jordaan is only about a 10 minute walk from Dam Square? Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah, if you lok at Amsterdam on Google maps you can see how it's all laid out with the canal system going in semi circle rings with the train station kind of being at the pivot point. I prefer to stay on the canal rings because it is pretty. I found Dam square to be a main tourist point that had all the negatives that go along with that, but you can't not go and have a look!

Have a good look on G maps to get your bearings. If you type in Jordaan Amsterdam it will show you the area and you will find Dam Square and all the other main points. But yeah, it's a small city so Jordaan is close enough to all of that but pretty enough to feel that you are also away from all the brashness.

Make sure you go to the market to experience the traditional Dutch food. A cone of chips with lashings of mayonnaise. A pickled herring. And do they still sell hot food from vending machines? I spent a few years in Holland as a child which included a year in Amsterdam. My Dad would take me to Vondel Park on my scooter and we would feed the squirrels by hand as they got to know us.

I'm going next year to show my husband and children where I lived. My older brother will be tour guide as I don't remember it that well.

If you're up for an alternate dining experience then I would recommend 'supper club' it combines dinner with dance music, some form of entertainment (changes weekly I think) you can have dinner on a table or a bed and the atmosphere is lovely and chilled. Depends on what you're in to! My boyfriend and I liked it as it was like being in wonderland/ lady ga ga video! Lol! We were blown away!

If it sounds like something you would like to do, you need to book online and they'll send you an email on the day for you to confirm your reservation, same as door 74 mentioned a few posts back!
Enjoy! It's got so much to offer xx

If you're up for an alternate dining experience then I would recommend 'supper club' it combines dinner with dance music, some form of entertainment (changes weekly I think) you can have dinner on a table or a bed and the atmosphere is lovely and chilled. Depends on what you're in to! My boyfriend and I liked it as it was like being in wonderland/ lady ga ga video! Lol! We were blown away!

If it sounds like something you would like to do, you need to book online and they'll send you an email on the day for you to confirm your reservation, same as door 74 mentioned a few posts back!
Enjoy! It's got so much to offer xx

I'm off to look at this, all this reminiscing is making me want to go back!

I'm off to look at this, all this reminiscing is making me want to go back!

I know me too! I've been twice but it's the hidden gems I love! But there's so many it will take me a life time 😄 I've subscribe to this thread for future reference 👍

The supper club really is a great night out, oh it's worth mentioning it turns into a night club at around midnight, I didn't stay for that so can't comment 😊

I went last year in summer and it was absolutely beautiful, went again in winter which was great because of the christmas markets. Definately see the red light district and coffee shops ! I would recommend the NH hotels, theyre really nice and very reasonable, we paid £300 each for 3 nights, flights and breakfast ! Hope you have fun xxx

Make sure you go to the market to experience the traditional Dutch food. A cone of chips with lashings of mayonnaise. A pickled herring. And do they still sell hot food from vending machines? I spent a few years in Holland as a child which included a year in Amsterdam. My Dad would take me to Vondel Park on my scooter and we would feed the squirrels by hand as they got to know us.

I'm going next year to show my husband and children where I lived. My older brother will be tour guide as I don't remember it that well.

Yes the vending machine places are all over still, think they called febo x

Thanks everyone! Still trying to choose a hotel!!! Argh it's so hard haha.

Everything everyone's mentioned sounds fab!want to do it all, don't think we'll have time some how haha xxd

On Tripadvisor you can put your dates in and it will only list the hotels with availability. If you find one you like you could then see if Lastminute.com has a package with flights for that particular hotel. You can't beat a good road trip though!

I'm booking up again just for the supper club, thanks for making this thread x

Alpharooms is the cheapest iv found and they have a price promise so if you do find it cheaper they will match it, iv used them for amsterdam twice and spain x

Oooh I'll look thanks. I normally use booking.com

Just looking at hotels now. I went through pages and pages of hotels lol xxx

Just had another thought! You can book through a cashback site with most agents too, so end up getting some of your wonga back! I can refer you if you like and we both win. :D Apologies if I have broken any rules by saying this mods.

Just had another thought! You can book through a cashback site with most agents too, so end up getting some of your wonga back! I can refer you if you like and we both win. :D Apologies if I have broken any rules by saying this mods.

I had been looking via quidco, but if there's another one you use, by all means pm me and I'll send you my info so you can refer me xxx

Right... it's time to book!!! :) xxx

All booked :) x

Current location, amsterdam, beautiful weather, only here for the day ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Current location, amsterdam, beautiful weather, only here for the day ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ooooh lovely. Business or pleasure? Xxx I can't wait xxx

Latest posts

Back