Amsterdam

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlamourEyes11

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Myself and my fiancé are looking at going to Amsterdam :) it will be either a Fri- Mon or a Sat - Tues (3 nights).

When's the best time of year to go? (We can pretty much go whenever)

Can anyone recommend some pretty central accommodation? (Not too expensive, but don't want a hostel)

Is there anything you'd recommend as a 'must see'?

Thanks

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Try and stay near dam square it's central!

Visit Anne franks house, the red light district and enjoy the canal walks xx

Try and stay near dam square it's central!

Visit Anne franks house, the red light district and enjoy the canal walks xx

Great that's where I was looking actually :) if you stay there is everything else pretty much within walking distance?xxz

Iv been a few times the further away you stay from dam square the cheaper it is, the trams are excellent and for 18 euro you can get a 3 day pass, get the tram from the airport don't waste money on a taxi, we paid 30 euro for 10 min taxi ride, doesn't really matter where you stay as the tram system is excellent, we always stay at the westcord fashion hotel which is about 10 mins on tram from dam square / leidsplein etc and is a really nice hotel and not too expensive, don't waste your money on the ice bar either, you can't take pics inside and are in 10 mins with 2 shots of cheap aftershock for about 20 euro each

Got to visit the cafes haha, amsterdam is a beautiful city xxx

Amsterdam is lovely- you'll have a great time- but watch out for the bikes!

I found the Red Light district really depressing. All I could think was "Unhappy, hard-faced girls earning the money for their next fix"

Iv been a few times the further away you stay from dam square the cheaper it is, the trams are excellent and for 18 euro you can get a 3 day pass, get the tram from the airport don't waste money on a taxi, we paid 30 euro for 10 min taxi ride, doesn't really matter where you stay as the tram system is excellent, we always stay at the westcord fashion hotel which is about 10 mins on tram from dam square / leidsplein etc and is a really nice hotel and not too expensive, don't waste your money on the ice bar either, you can't take pics inside and are in 10 mins with 2 shots of cheap aftershock for about 20 euro each

That hotel looks nice :) are the trams easy to use? Is there a tram stop near the hotel? Do the trams run late? X

Got to visit the cafes haha, amsterdam is a beautiful city xxx

Haha definitely! X

I found the Red Light district really depressing. All I could think was "Unhappy, hard-faced girls earning the money for their next fix"

Yes I can imagine it's like that. Has to be seen though ;)

What's the best time of year to go? Xxx

That hotel looks nice :) are the trams easy to use? Is there a tram stop near the hotel? Do the trams run late? X

Tram stop 3 mins walk from hotel, buy the tram pass from the airport and you just swipe it when you get on and off, you can use it as many times as you like in the 3 days and they run till around midnight, we stayed out till 4.30am one night and the whole of amsterdam is still busy, it's a really nice place, we are looking to rent a houseboat when we next go

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree, it's an experience to walk through once , also don't attempt to take pics in the area as the bouncers will grab and smash your phone / camera . Not that you would want to take any of there pictures but we saw a few men arguing after there phones were hurled in to the canal,lol

You need to carry ID with you all the time too,most coffee shops will ask for ID even if you only want a coffee and not a joint as you have to be over 18 to go in them, some even have doormen x

The multi storey bike park amazes me, how on earth do they remember where they have parked?? I agree watch the bikes... they will run you over xxx

Amsterdam is my fave fave city in the world! Some suggestions:

1) Get the train from the airport to Central station, cheap and easy
2) For accomodation look at airbnb.com for an apartment, I've stayed in some gorgeous ones from their, and often cheaper then hotels. A lot cheaper!
3) Be prepared to walk a lot!
4) The 9 Streets is a gorgeous little area.
5) If you like cocktails and don't mind paying 10 - 15euros for amazing ones research Door 74 (you will need to make a booking)
6) I adore Febo for a snack!
7) Red light district can be fun to wander around - particularly tranny alley
8) Vondelpark is gorgeous
9) For the best breakfast ever book a table at Gartime (booking weeks in advance is essential)
10) If you want to do Anne Franks get there early - when it opens latest otherwise expect to queue longer!
11) For great wine by the glass visit Bubbles and Wine

Thanks everyone you're making me so excited about going lol.

We can't decide between end on June or middle of August hmmmm :-/

If anyone has anymore advice... keep it coming :) xxx

Thanks everyone you're making me so excited about going lol.

We can't decide between end on June or middle of August hmmmm :-/

If anyone has anymore advice... keep it coming :) xxx

It's great all year round so either of those months are good, just check out prices for cheapest month, we went in February and paid £390 for flights from Manchester 3 nights b n b at fashion hotel for 2 adults that was through alpharooms, my friend who came too got a similar deal through easyjet flying from Newcastle x

It's great all year round so either of those months are good, just check out prices for cheapest month, we went in February and paid £390 for flights from Manchester 3 nights b n b at fashion hotel for 2 adults that was through alpharooms, my friend who came too got a similar deal through easyjet flying from Newcastle x

The prices are the same both of the weekends we're looking at. About £380-£390 at that hotel and flights (not sure if it included breakfast) xxx

I love Amsterdam! We have found that there are two sides, giving you two different experiences. The last time we went we stayed in the Jordaan area and we preferred this as it laid back and pretty (canal streets) with some lovely little shops, but still very close in walking distance.
The central road up from the train station is loud and very busy with traffic, so a stark difference to the little canal streets. The area around the train station is a bit rough like any city so I wouldn't ever look to stay there.

The red light district took both of us through a wave of emotion, from starting out and being a bit giggly about it through to feeling quite sad and then questioning how much say these girls have in what they are doing. The truth is, you will never know.

We took bikes to Vondel Park and have some hilarious photos of us cycling round, it's very pretty and the mansions that line the park are beautiful.

In the area we were felt very boho and cool, the other side is bright lights, stag weekends and loud. There is something for everyone, it just depends what you want out if it.

I love Amsterdam! We have found that there are two sides, giving you two different experiences. The last time we went we stayed in the Jordaan area and we preferred this as it laid back and pretty (canal streets) with some lovely little shops, but still very close in walking distance.
The central road up from the train station is loud and very busy with traffic, so a stark difference to the little canal streets. The area around the train station is a bit rough like any city so I wouldn't ever look to stay there.

The red light district took both of us through a wave of emotion, from starting out and being a bit giggly about it through to feeling quite sad and then questioning how much say these girls have in what they are doing. The truth is, you will never know.

We took bikes to Vondel Park and have some hilarious photos of us cycling round, it's very pretty and the mansions that line the park are beautiful.

In the area we were felt very boho and cool, the other side is bright lights, stag weekends and loud. There is something for everyone, it just depends what you want out if it.

Thanks nicole

Can you remember where you stayed in Jordaan? I had been looking here too, as I heard it was close to everything xxx

We stayed in a canal house that rented out two rooms. One that was on the ground floor and took up the whole floor (ours) and another up a typically steep and narrow set of canal house stairs, where also the breakfast room was. It is a privately owned house (we booked the day before arrival!) It had really great Tripadvisor reviews but I do like my hotel bathrooms and this didn't match up as the bathroom was cold and basic. Everything else was amazing and the bed was one of best I've slept in.

I will find it on TA and pm you.

Thanks everyone. Will book this weekend. Was going to book last night but the airport I was going to fly from has just started and consultation period about possible closure!!! So I now have to find a different airport lol xxx

Latest posts

Back